Player Discussion Brian Gibbons

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think he'd be blocking any kids given he'd be played primarily on the 4th line. That being said, we kind of already have 3/4 vets under contract that should be taking up those 4th line spots.

Assuming we can't find takers for them, Smith and Boedkker should have the 4th line wing spots locked down and then if Brown/Chlapik make the team one of Pageau/Tierney likely gets pushed down the lineup as well.

That probably leaves enough room for one of Gibbons/Lindberg/Paajarvi as the 13th forward. Gibbons would be my preference from that group, but it's entirely possible he's earned himself a better/more lucrative opportunity with his play down the stretch.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think he'd be blocking any kids given he'd be played primarily on the 4th line. That being said, we kind of already have 3/4 vets under contract that should be taking up those 4th line spots.

Assuming we can't find takers for them, Smith and Boedkker should have the 4th line wing spots locked down and then if Brown/Chlapik make the team one of Pageau/Tierney likely gets pushed down the lineup as well.

That probably leaves enough room for one of Gibbons/Lindberg/Paajarvi as the 13th forward. Gibbons would be my preference from that group, but it's entirely possible he's earned himself a better/more lucrative opportunity with his play down the stretch.

This pretty much it. There is just not enough room for all these 4th liners. But I would prefer Paajarvi over Gibbons. Paajarvi will give you some good PKing. I don't see Gibbons nor Lindberg coming back. Unless you unload Smith/Boedker/Paajarvi.

Reactions: DrEasy

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Gibbons has been a bit of a surprise, but sometimes when i see him knocked down i cant help but think of the Redblack's Diontae Spencer who so often would get picked up and thrown down when tackled. But Diontae may have been a little more analogous to marty st louis than the monkey man.

Have to admit, that 4th line has been more effective than i was expecting. But im still not sure they are all enough above replacement level to even be guaranteed to return next year, so i dont know if i would be ready yet to annoint them our best 4th line ever.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

We need to trade Smith and Boedkker. I like Smith, but we've already got Bobby Ryan as our veteran presence, coupled with Pageau. Gibbons has jam + speed, and I'd like to keep him around for a little while.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We need to trade Smith and Boedkker. I like Smith, but we've already got Bobby Ryan as our veteran presence, coupled with Pageau. Gibson has jam + speed, and I'd like to keep him around for a little while.

I don't think there's a market for Smith unless we're taking back a contract. Couple that with the fact the organization likes him and I'm just about sure he'll be back next year taking up that 4th line LW spot.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I don't think there's a market for Smith unless we're taking back a contract. Couple that with the fact the organization likes him and I'm just about sure he'll be back next year taking up that 4th line LW spot.

Smith will get bought out or buried in the minors. I know Melyk is cheap, but I don't see Smith sticking around with the current young line up we have. If we didn't have Tkachuk, maybe we would keep Smith, but this team is plenty tough without him.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Lindberg and Gibbons have both shown very well and both haven't been handed a ton of ice time either.

If we can keep them and they play well enough next season then we may have 2 more guys to trade for yet more draft picks at the TDL 2020.

I think having cheap vets outperform their contracts and then traded is an understated part of what the Leafs in particular did to help goose their opportunity for a quicker rebuild.

Both of them can help by being veterans and decent pros for most of next season and then we flip them for whatever we can get knowing we can have replacements the following season.

I am very happy with every player we received back from our flea market sale. Not to say they are the caliber I wanted back but in terms of what I expected, they have all exceeded to date.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Smith will get bought out or buried in the minors. I know Melyk is cheap, but I don't see Smith sticking around with the current young line up we have. If we didn't have Tkachuk, maybe we would keep Smith, but this team is plenty tough without him.

I don't think Smith is going anywhere.

The only thing Melnyk hates more than overpaying a 4th liner is to pay someone not to play for them at all.

Smith is still an NHL caliber player + it would cost us assets to move him + we need to hit the cap floor + the org likes his "intangibles".

Reactions: Cosmix

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

The only thing Melnyk hates more than overpaying a 4th liner is to pay someone not to play for them at all.

Smith is still an NHL caliber player + it would cost us assets to move him + we need to hit the cap floor + the org likes his "intangibles".

..to the point of waiving him to begin the season. But legit points, well-liked by the players.

I can see Brian Gibbons get a 1-year contract, I can also see him being let go if to make room for graduates from the AHL, Jack Hughes, et al. The team will also need veteran contracts to meet the floor.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

I think you're selling him short. Gibbons is at least 4/5ths of a vet.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO they need to let all of the UFAs walk at the end of the season, they have a few contracts they won't be able to move since they haven't been able to move them yet like Smith & Boedker who can fill some role at least for next season. IMO there should be at least a few new faces in the lineup after training camp next season to occupy those vacant positions & the rebuild continues. EM said they hope to have a team of 24 yr old players soon which I take to mean they aren't keeping older players. Next season they will have a few UFAs that they will likely try & move leading up to the deadline or allow to walk at the end of the season. As I see this rebuild it's out with the old whose contracts are up & in with the new who are NHL ready & I assume this should be the process for the next 2 or 3 yrs.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

I have to admit, Smith has shown more of his old game recently.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

If you're forced to retain the likes of Smith and Boedker over actually good depth players, why are you even bothering with a "rebuild" at all?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If you're forced to retain the likes of Smith and Boedker over actually good depth players, why are you even bothering with a "rebuild" at all?
Do you not understand the concept of contracts unless you are suggesting buying them out which we all know this owner likely won't do? Boedker's contract is up next season & maybe they can move him at the deadline but Smith has another yr after that & I doubt they will be able to trade him until maybe in his last yr.

It's too late for "why bother with a rebuild at all", it's happening & there is nothing that can be done about that & it will take a few yrs to accomplish what they are hoping for. I expect every yr that they will look to move out their UFAs & replace them with NHL ready prospects in their system until at some point they have an entire team under 25 yrs old. They are going young & replacing their vets with younger players each yr for the next few yrs, so no stopping it now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
..to the point of waiving him to begin the season.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between someone claiming a guy off waivers from you, and having to take a bad contract back to get rid of him, or buy him out outright.

I'm sure if someone would take Smith and that contract for free, we'd be all over it. I just don't think that's realistic, though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don’t think the Senators are tough to play against. There is a significant lack of physical hard checking players. The forwards and defense look soft. There are opponents left standing in front of the net and never get knocked over.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Do you think he is an NHL player? I really am not convinced any longer. He is lazy, slow and poor defensively while bringing very little offense.

Its too bad they didnt find a way to dump Boedker too. Id prefer to have Gibbons and Paajarvi over both of them. They are faster, better cheaper players.

Id love to dump both if them somehow and sign Gibbons and Magnus to 1 year deals.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
IMO they need to let all of the UFAs walk at the end of the season, they have a few contracts they won't be able to move since they haven't been able to move them yet like Smith & Boedker who can fill some role at least for next season. IMO there should be at least a few new faces in the lineup after training camp next season to occupy those vacant positions & the rebuild continues. EM said they hope to have a team of 24 yr old players soon which I take to mean they aren't keeping older players. Next season they will have a few UFAs that they will likely try & move leading up to the deadline or allow to walk at the end of the season. As I see this rebuild it's out with the old whose contracts are up & in with the new who are NHL ready & I assume this should be the process for the next 2 or 3 yrs.

The no vet rebuild... when has that ever worked... Oilers and Sabres are prime example of why you don’t do what you are suggesting

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad