Player Discussion Brian Gibbons

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think there's a market for Smith unless we're taking back a contract. Couple that with the fact the organization likes him and I'm just about sure he'll be back next year taking up that 4th line LW spot.

Didnt we just put Smith through waivers after not being able to get anything in a trade? Is that what organizations who like their players do to them?

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The no vet rebuild... when has that ever worked... Oilers and Sabres are prime example of why you don’t do what you are suggesting

To play devil's advocate, when your "core vets" are Borowiecki, Smith, Boedkker and Ryan does it really matter if they are moved out?

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
To play devil's advocate, when your "core vets" are Borowiecki, Smith, Boedkker and Ryan does it really matter if they are moved out?

Move out the shitty ones for sure... but the club can still bring in cheap good ones

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Move out the ****ty ones for sure... but the club can still bring in cheap good ones

Players have to want to come here too though. We've had a hard enough time, historically, bringing in UFA's in our "good years". I'm not sure how realistic it is to think we're going to be able to bring anyone into this shitshow.Maybe a couple of Oduya types, but that's not much better than going with a team (mostly) full of U25 players.

I'd love to bring in a stable, veteran defenceman to play with Wolanin/Lajoie though. Kind of like a Demelo type, but hopefully a bit better.I'm not dismissing how importat a few key vets are, I just don't know how realistic it is to bring someone like that in.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Players have to want to come here too though. We've had a hard enough time, historically, bringing in UFA's in our "good years". I'm not sure how realistic it is to think we're going to be able to bring anyone into this ****show.Maybe a couple of Oduya types, but that's not much better than going with a team (mostly) full of U25 players.

I'd love to bring in a stable, veteran defenceman to play with Wolanin/Lajoie though. Kind of like a Demelo type, but hopefully a bit better.I'm not dismissing how importat a few key vets are, I just don't know how realistic it is to bring someone like that in.

If the Sens are unable to bring in the vets needed to teach anc lead the kids, expect to spin the wheels in mediocrity like Edmonton and Buffalo

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What an unbelievably stupid thing to do... rebuilding without any vets
Just one of the many plans cooked up by two of the greatest hockey minds of our time. And its not just any old vet like Boro, Smith, Ceci ,,, other throw aways that are needed. But we will be told that they are vital parts of the core leadership.. Its all we have left.

Dorion should have addressed the D with even an average vet this year and didn't. I really think they will waste some of our young players critical years by not having sufficient mentorship to help them grow and to bring their skills forward. You can play in the NHL as a young player, but you don't get much better chasing the puck around , or just trying to survive in your end.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Get rid of Boedker and Smith but I'd keep Boro and Ryan at least until next deadline or next summer.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
We gotta be careful. This could be fool's gold.

Agreed. At most he should be offered a two way contract. He is older at 31 and his history doesn't suggest he will replicate this performance. We need to make room for prospects. On a two way contract it gives him a chance if he plays well but also protects the organization if his performance drops off.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
1yr 900K... his last shot at earning a Derek Ryan contract... he’ll be motivated... a good year and sens flip him for a 2nd

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Nobody is going to be offering him a long term contract, 2 years at most. He's never made more than a million bucks, there's no risk in signing him.

yeah, no way I'm offering a 2 year contract to this guy. If he takes a one year, AND we only keep 2 of the following 4:

Smith
Paajarvi
Gibbons
Lindberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad