Brian Burke's proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
me2 said:
Ottawa put up ticket prices by 10.5% last year and they are still 4.5%lower than NJs who didn't put them up at all. Its hard to see Ottawa getting away with another large jump.

See the Vancouver Canucks for an example of unexpected revenue gains with a team that's percieved as successful.

Finally, NJ achieved its success on the back of a cup win. Ottawa has yet to win one.

This I agree with. Should Ottawa fail to at least make the final in the next couple of years, IMO, they will have to start trading assets. This is as it should be - if the team can't get it done, trade the bums!

Listen, it was a pleasure talking to you but I'm on a self-imposed 'strike' at midnight. Maybe we'll be able to talk after the lockout ends.

Best,

Other Dave

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Other Dave said:
See the Vancouver Canucks for an example of unexpected revenue gains with a team that's percieved as successful.

This I agree with. Should Ottawa fail to at least make the final in the next couple of years, IMO, they will have to start trading assets. This is as it should be - if the team can't get it done, trade the bums!

Listen, it was a pleasure talking to you but I'm on a self-imposed 'strike' at midnight. Maybe we'll be able to talk after the lockout ends.

Best,

Other Dave

Have a nice break.

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2003/1208/094tab.html

These numbers are from last year. Ottawa have revenue of $59m and NJ of $73m. NJ lost $9.3m, Ottawa lost $2m. I don't see how Ottawa can increase salary to $60m and remain sustainable based on these figures.

Go Flames Go*

I think that Brains proposal is very good, and he should be a mediator for theese talks.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Other Dave said:

Only problem with that theory is that Ottawa has *already* been successful for several years now. Most of the "hey, that's a team worth going to watch" factor is already gone.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
PecaFan said:
Only problem with that theory is that Ottawa has *already* been successful for several years now. Most of the "hey, that's a team worth going to watch" factor is already gone.

The only way Ottawa can increase revenues are to go on longer playoff runs and sell more merchandise by winning the cup a few times. Ottawa crying poor to get deals with the Gov won't work if they start trying to run a $55m-60m team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad