Brian Burke's media disaster, threatens Calgary may relocate + talk on concussions

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
It's funny because a few weeks ago the city almost unanimously agreed the city's top priority is a new stadium.

The stampede has land right beside the saddledome, which already has the neccasary public transit. They are willing to flop the land to the city for an equal sized land holding in the area...

Basically our owners/management are like, "we don't want a $500 million dollar stadium like everyone else, we want a brand new billion dollar one. On this spot that's going to take 500 million to cleanup. And you're paying for it"

Ya seems like the Fieldhouse is the sticking point and West Village is a non starter for the city.

If Flames were happy with no fieldhouse and building in East Village they could probably get something signed tomorrow. I don't go to CFL games(when it's cold and real football is on anyway) and don't overly care about amateur sports so just drop the stupid fieldhouse.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Will never happen then. Flames will pay for the arena and the City will pay for all of the land, infrastructure and the fieldhouse(might just not build it).

won't happen either. Calgary will also have to pay for the arena since Edmonton set the standard. Oilers get the revenue for only hockey - that's only a fraction of the revenue a new arena will generate.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Btw, this is Mayor Nenshi's reponse:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/flames-president-brian-burke-calgary-next-1.4150420

"This is me kind of shrugging," he said when asked for a reaction. "This is page 26 of the script. It's always page 26 of the script in every city, and my job now is, I'm supposed to go to page 27 and 28 in the script when I point out that Rogers has given them billions of dollars and they're not going to let them remove a team from a western Canadian market, that in order for them to go to Quebec, they'll have to sell the team to Pierre Karl Peladeau, and he's not going to give them a deal the way they're going to get in Calgary, blah, blah, blah. I'm not interested in doing that."

"Five out of the seven teams in Canada have privately owned rinks, only Edmonton and Calgary are publicly owned, and the Edmonton deal may have been right for Edmonton, where they desperately needed revitalization and construction in their downtown core, that is not the case in Calgary … so we have to find a new model."

I'm not saying he does not make valid points but what about blue ring he got put out in a field ? Expansive new arts theatres /departments ? Bridges re worked in ARTSY fashion /expensive Art Deco stuff along busy roads, were those fishes during his admin??

He wants to cover his own a**. The kids in this city DESERVE a Fieldhouse. A Fieldhouse that can last for half a century or more and be a proud landmark.

The next step is for the sports people to do some extra digging and find Nenshi's costs on Arts/Theatre budget. I think the numbers would be shocking what the public is paying for because of his extra interests.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is a reason why you shouldn't give Burke mic time. He just can't help himself.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It's funny because a few weeks ago the city almost unanimously agreed the city's top priority is a new stadium.

The stampede has land right beside the saddledome, which already has the neccasary public transit. They are willing to flop the land to the city for an equal sized land holding in the area...

Basically our owners/management are like, "we don't want a $500 million dollar stadium like everyone else, we want a brand new billion dollar one. On this spot that's going to take 500 million to cleanup. And you're paying for it... or else we're moving... even though we've been a top 5-10 revenue team the last decade"

:laugh:

Yeah, they are really bad at negotiating it seems and have no plan b in place. This is what the city council has an issue with. Compromises need to be made for a different location and a cheaper setup.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I'd be in favour of taxpayers building the Flames arena on the condition that we also buy the Flames.

I mean if the Saddledome was so bad, the Flames wouldn't be currently one of the more profitable teams in the league. I mean if the game is to make money, they can't move so all they can do is make empty threats. When has a team in any sport EVER moved away from a profitable market for an unprofitable market?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
won't happen either. Calgary will also have to pay for the arena since Edmonton set the standard. Oilers get the revenue for only hockey - that's only a fraction of the revenue a new arena will generate.

Working in the real estate world up in Edmonton; y'all don't know a smidge about the workings of this deal. The city has been bent over, and it has had wide reaching repercussions with developers for ALL future deals in this city. They're sharks and there's a ton of blood in the water.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Its really not a burn. Edmonton's downtown is horrible and offensive. It makes bum town look like paradise. Its a neglected part of the city that people used to avoid every weekend, that was a problem, it was empty, smelly and the mall there is a ghost town that people avoid due to the high cost of parking.

it sounds like a cheap shot at Edmonton to me.
Nenshi can't win this one - he should shut up and duplicate the deal.

Nenshi is also wrong about The City of Edmonton paying $ to the Oilers every year. I just posted a link to the entire deal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why do they continue to let this idiot talk? reminds me so much of Lowe. Ownership needs to put a muzzle on him

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do they continue to let this idiot talk? reminds me so much of Lowe. Ownership needs to put a muzzle on him

I imagine he was asked to speak by the Canadian Club that hosted the event. Burke speaks all over the country, very engaging speaker.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
His stupid way of wearing a tie aside, he spoke the truth here. Some might be in denial and the truth hurts at times-but he's telling it like it is. As an Islander fan we're fortunate there was an arena in Brooklyn for us to go to, or we'd be in Quebec or somewhere else right now.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I'm not saying he does not make valid points but what about blue ring he got put out in a field ? Expansive new arts theatres /departments ? Bridges re worked in ARTSY fashion /expensive Art Deco stuff along busy roads, were those fishes during his admin??

He wants to cover his own a**. The kids in this city DESERVE a Fieldhouse. A Fieldhouse that can last for half a century or more and be a proud landmark.

The next step is for the sports people to do some extra digging and find Nenshi's costs on Arts/Theatre budget. I think the numbers would be shocking what the public is paying for because of his extra interests.

The city mandates that 1% of capital spending go towards art projects around the city. The blue ring fit into that budget however unnecessary it seems.

The city could definitely benefit from a fieldhouse, although that is not just means for dolling out 500+ Million dollars for.

The new stadium/facility should be constructed with ~25% public funds, the rest coming from Ken King and Co as they are the ones who profit from this. There is certainly a benefit to the city in terms of job creation, local business revenue, etc, but we should not being funding these Billionaires arenas just for them to make more and more money. Look how profitable they already are. Absolutely ridiculous that they expect us to pay for their arena when public money could be going towards better uses. And yes Ken King, parking revenues are still public money.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
His stupid way of wearing a tie aside, he spoke the truth here. Some might be in denial and the truth hurts at times-but he's telling it like it is. As an Islander fan we're fortunate there was an arena in Brooklyn for us to go to, or we'd be in Quebec or somewhere else right now.

Calgary is making money unlike the Islanders , also their arena is still in much better condition than the one on the island .

also there isn't a better market to go to , the loudmouth is making empty threats and it seems he's pissed off the owners he works for

i would be surprised if this isn't the beginning of the end of Burke's run in Calgary

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ken King already did the same thing on a similar question a few months ago. I don't get why Burke was compelled to comment on this loaded question again. What they are commenting on is a theoretical situation which likely won't happen.

I honestly think that council and Flames org are on the same page of what is needed. What is of a huge disagreement is the way it will be funded (Federal, Provincial, Municipal, Private) and who owns what assets and who takes on risk at the end of the day.

The Olympic bid is also muddying the waters.

This is a mountain out of a mole hill. I don't necessarily disagree with Burke, but the delivery was not good at all.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

That was the deal that the Flames proposed.

150M Cash + 150M ticket tax + 150M repayable loan to the city. The arena itself only cost 450M so it'll take a few years but they'll pay for the arena themselves.

The problem was the West Village infrastructure (plus fieldhouse) and Clean up could have cost like 1 billion and the city obviously can't afford that.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
also there isn't a better market to go to , the loudmouth is making empty threats and it seems he's pissed off the owners he works for

When Katz threatened a move, they toured and met with Seattle officials and business people. Now that there is actually a realistic buyer in place an an arena deal looming, that threat is a lot scarier and closer to fruition than 5 years ago. Also the balance in the west would not be wrecked and its the same division. Its a cheap petty tactic but owners have moved plenty of times after not getting their way.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Hard to even pick a spot to start here, Burke being crazy yet again. The public should be footing very little if anything of the bill for a new sports arena imo.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
When Katz threatened a move, they toured and met with Seattle officials and business people. Now that there is actually a realistic buyer in place an an arena deal looming, that threat is a lot scarier and closer to fruition than 5 years ago. Its a cheap petty tactic but owners have moved plenty of times after not getting their way.

Bettman was dying to put an expansion team in the northwest , if there was a realistic owner in that area he would have already come forward and put in an application for an expansion team .

Yup , plenty of teams have moved but it's usually for what they consider a better market . I don't see how Seattle would be more profitable than Calgary unless of course the Can dollar continues to stay this low or goes lower .

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Nenshi is also wrong about The City of Edmonton paying $ to the Oilers every year. I just posted a link to the entire deal.

I'm going to reckon he knows more of what he's talking about than you and a google search.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Bettman was dying to put an expansion team in the northwest , if there was a realistic owner in that area he would have already come forward and put in an application for an expansion team .

Well you dont need an expansion when you can just move a team. The logistics are simpler in this case.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Isn't this what Nenshi is talking about?

The City will enter into a marketing/branding partnership with the Edmonton Oilers to promote the City of Edmonton with the Oilers nationally and internationally at a cost of $2-million annually for 10 years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Welcome to the wonderful world of being an Oilers fan and having clowns in the front office, Flames fans.

I expect a visit to Seattle anyday now for King and Burke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad