Player Discussion Brett Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't think Brett Ritchie really makes a difference though with that. You have to be capable of playing the minutes on a contender to help prevent the players on the ice from being pushed around.

well he played on Dallas on a team with many skill players providing toughness so there's that. If you think teams are not going to engage Boston and hit them with everything they have physically I think you're mistaken.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

BruinsNetwork

I don't think Brett Ritchie really makes a difference though with that. You have to be capable of playing the minutes on a contender to help prevent the players on the ice from being pushed around.

Yup the size is nice and all, but what good is size if you're unable to maximize it because you're not on the same page as your line mates? I'm fine with the signing, just like I'm fine with the Petrovic signing for similar reasons. Low-risk with the chance to yield a good return. However, Ritchie just is what he is and it seems like he's impeding Heinen and Coyle from taking the next step together.

Coyle is a possession-oriented monster on that line and adding someone like Kuhlman, Bjork or Senyshyn to his open RW might just push them over the edge. I'm not trying to be a hater of Ritchie, but I'm still not seeing it and I think "size" being the reason he's still here his a lame reason. It would require recalling someone from Providence, but let's see what someone else can do that isn't Backes or Ritchie.

Reactions: wintersej

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Blues dressed maroon all 7 games even though he wasn't really good and elevated Zach Sanford to the 2nd line to create some space for ROR and Sanford isn't exactly Mike Bossy

Reactions: sarge88

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yup the size is nice and all, but what good is size if you're unable to maximize it because you're not on the same page as your line mates? I'm fine with the signing, just like I'm fine with the Petrovic signing for similar reasons. Low-risk with the chance to yield a good return. However, Ritchie just is what he is and it seems like he's impeding Heinen and Coyle from taking the next step together.

Coyle is a possession-oriented monster on that line and adding someone like Kuhlman, Bjork or Senyshyn to his open RW might just push them over the edge. I'm not trying to be a hater of Ritchie, but I'm still not seeing it and I think "size" being the reason he's still here his a lame reason. It would require recalling someone from Providence, but let's see what someone else can do that isn't Backes or Ritchie.

I'd like to see a proven NHL player in that spot similar to last year. All these prospects haven't achieved anything

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
he's been playing very well IMO, but I don't have issues with people bringing up his lack of goal scoring. He has 6 total SOG in 6 games. He has 17 goals in his last 119 reg season games. Keeping it away from the opponent and creating chances are certainly very important, and not to be diminished but at the end of the day the team with the most goals wins, and Heinen and Coyle HAVE to produce goals. Now, either do that or pass it to someone that can (and that may be out of their hands w their line mates and unproven goal scoring NHL talent).

Personally I saw what they are capable of with a legit offensive weapon (MoJo) so I'm not sure what the hold up is with the brass with atleast trying Bjork, Kuhlman, Senny, someone there, but I can also understand the Bruins not wanting to go small again after last season,
Oh I don’t either. I just responded to a post that struck me as being sarcastic like “boy he sure played well today”... Heinen DID play well today.

Perhaps I just have trouble understanding why it seems like such an either/or scenario for some. You want to argue Ritchie’s place on the team, the conversation is Ritchie/Backes/Nordstrom/Wagner/Lindholm... not Danton Heinen.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
well he played on Dallas on a team with many skill players providing toughness so there's that. If you think teams are not going to engage Boston and hit them with everything they have physically I think you're mistaken.
Teams will always be hitting the Bruins, it's the lack of hitting back that's a big issue. Basically none of it in the top 9 last post season.

Reactions: BMC

BruinsNetwork

I'd like to see a proven NHL player in that spot similar to last year. All these prospects haven't achieved anything

Maybe not, but all three offer more potential than Brett Ritchie, IMO. At some point you have to let your prospects play and turn into a "proven NHL player." With Charlie Coyle in the picture and solidifying the 3C position, the Bruins have a great opportunity to try and test these things. It isn't like last year with JFK, Frederic, Nordstrom or anyone else trying to hold 3C together. Now it's different with Coyle as a real center there. Let Kuhlman, Bjork or Senyshyn fly out there. See what happens.

Reactions: Estlin

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Maybe not, but all three offer more potential than Brett Ritchie, IMO. At some point you have to let your prospects play and turn into "proven NHL player" and with Coyle in the fold to solidify 3C, the Bruins have a perfect opportunity to test these things out.

Ritchie should be a 4th liner providing toughness for the team. The Backes contract is so bad it hinders the bruins on the 2nd and 3rd line where we are using Ritchie and a bunch of unproven prospects to fill key scoring roles. This doesn't change the fact the Bruins lack size and Ritchie does provide that

BruinsNetwork

Ritchie should be a 4th liner providing toughness for the team. The Backes contract is so bad it hinders the bruins on the 2nd and 3rd line where we are using Ritchie and a bunch of unproven prospects to fill key scoring roles. This doesn't change the fact the Bruins lack size and Ritchie does provide that

Again, at some point in time David Pastrnak, Danton Heinen and Jake DeBrusk were all "unproven prospects," but they got the chance to prove themselves. You have to give these prospects a real chance to become proven players in the NHL or not. That's what the modern-day NHL is all about– filling your roles from within and taking advantage of cheap, team-controlled talent. I don't think 26-year-old Brett Ritchie is suddenly going to break through and become something he isn't.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Again, at some point in time David Pastrnak, Danton Heinen and Jake DeBrusk were all "unproven prospects," but they got the chance to prove themselves. You have to give these prospects a real chance to become proven players in the NHL or not. That's what the modern-day NHL is all about– filling your roles from within and taking advantage of cheap, team-controlled talent. I don't think 26-year-old Brett Ritchie is suddenly going to break through and become something he isn't.
What do you expect out of Ritchie? Do you expect him to pot 20? He's an energy guy first, and can maybe pot you 10-12 goals. Yes, he should be on the 4th line, with the occasional 3rd line shift.

Backes making 6 million and the fact they refuse to deal with the second line wing issue is a problem.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

I don't think the bruins are playing Ritchie for his offensive upside. They want his size and toughness in the lineup to go with the skill players. If you want all skill and no size that's fine, but they'll get pummeled when facing the more physical teams

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
What do you expect out of Ritchie? Do you expect him to pot 20? He's an energy guy first, and can maybe pot you 10-12 goals. Yes, he should be on the 4th line, with the occasional 3rd line shift.

Backes making 6 million and the fact they refuse to deal with the second line wing issue is a problem.

I don't see it.
I call Kuhlman/Wagner/Nordstron/ Kuraly energy guys. Ritchie I'd call a tweener between a 4th line RW and the press box.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Coyle - Heinen
Kuhlman - Kuraly - Bjork/Backes
Ritchie - Wagner - Nordstrom

?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't see it.
I call Kuhlman/Wagner/Nordstron/ Kuraly energy guys. Ritchie I'd call a tweener between a 4th line RW and the press box.
I've watched Ritchie control the puck well, lay his body and use it to shield the puck very well so far this year. People just think he's useless because he's not going to score 20 goals. There's a lot of players on this team that won't do that.

I'm not saying he's a difference maker offensively or anything but he does add some size and physicality, which this team flat out lacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

here is the problem. Everyone else on the Bruins gets a "but" his advanced stats are great, "but" he's not a goal scorer, "but" he's not a physical player and that's all OK, but a guy like Ritchie just gets railed on no matter what. Team is 5-0, "Ritchie has nothing to do with it". Coyle and Heinen have 1 goal between them "well it's Ritchie's fault". "Ritchies advanced stats are terrible"... but so are player X's "well it's a small sample"..

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
here is the problem. Everyone else on the Bruins gets a "but" his advanced stats are great, "but" he's not a goal scorer, "but" he's not a physical player and that's all OK, but a guy like Ritchie just gets railed on no matter what. Team is 5-0, "Ritchie has nothing to do with it". Coyle and Heinen have 1 goal between them "well it's Ritchie's fault". "Ritchies advanced stats are terrible"... but so are player X's "well it's a small sample"..
This is why it's frustrating. "I wish this guy was more physical" - "Well, that's not his game..."

Ritchie 1 goal in 5 games +1 - 14 hits, 8 sog
Coyle 1 assist in 6 games -1 - 3 hits , 9 sog
Heinen 1 goal in 6 games Even - 3 hits, 6 sog

Ritchie averages 3-4 minutes less TOI, too.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You aren't really off base, I just dont see a huge difference between Backes and Ritchie from the small sample size. Both aren't great skaters, both are big and can hit, both provide limited offense right now.

That being said it does amaze me the short leash many posters on here give new players. Happened with Wagner and Nordstrom, happened with Riley Nash too. We always want every new guy to come to a new city, system, team and adjust within the first week which is rarely ever going to happen. Give the guy some time, if he starts becoming a liability and we start losing then hes an issue, but as long as we keep putting up Wins I dont see the issue with trying him in different roles.

Reactions: LouJersey

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yup Ritchies fine.

Forward Kampfer you can put him in and have some size on a line with Coyle.

The alternate is Backes in that role who you cant watch fight without wincing and is too slow for the NHL.

And back to Kampfer it was nice to see a big open ice hit when he came into the lineup shame noone else on the team has any interest in throwing one.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You don’t think Heinen has been playing well?
He's been what he is, a good third line defensive wing. Thought he was terrible yesterday with turnovers and not getting pucks out, he is not a scorer so if he isn't going to be physical or put up points he needs to be solid defensively, which he usually is.

Ritchie had a good game with limited minutes, again he was not my first choice as a physical winger but he is better than Lindholm. I still say get a Wood or Anderson or move Frederic to wing and bring him up

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Apparently this never ever happened though.
Not on this board. The 76 Swedish Olympic team is too tough for a lot of posters. All I can see is it is PTSD from years of watching the Canadiens super teams of the seventies beat tougher Bruins teams.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So far I am seeing with Ritchie exactly what I saw with the Stars for the past few season. He is mostly a non-factor, but then he'll do something that makes you realize there is a decent amount of skill there and you just wish he would put it all together. He could be a monster power forward. I will say that he is better than Backes at this point, but if he is going to bring no more than this, with the Bruins' secondary scoring problems that persist, I would rather see Bjork getting the ice time.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Its like reading the Danton Heinen thread only the roles are reversed now lol.

Don't hate the signing and I think Ritchie has a use on the 4th line. My issue is Ritchie doesn't give you anything production wise that someone like Bjork couldn't give you. The difference is Bjork has upside and actual top 6 talent. He also looked really good with Coyle/Heinen this pre-season.

Unfortunately we have (3) 4th line RW'ers in Wagner, Backes and Ritchie...and all play a similar role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad