Confirmed with Link: Brett Connolly suspension 4 games

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
literally no one is teaching that. You are taught to play with your head up but no one is taught hey you might get blindsided at any moment regardless of where the puck is. Kero wasn’t admiring anything, is it your hypothesis that no one ever tries to locate the puck with their eyes during a game? Hundreds of times every game someone could get their head taken off if someone wanted to blindside them away from the puck.

geez how could churla not see this coming, well his fault I guess

As you move up the ladder of competitive hockey you'd best be aware of your surroundings at all times and yes good coaches are teaching that to young players. Don't ever locate the puck with your eyes? WTH ever said that? I don't know of any other way to locate the puck that's not on your stick.

Why? Safety is one reason, the other reason is to know what you're going to do with the puck if/when it comes to you. If you start looking and thinking after the puck is on your stick it's too late. One, you're processing the play too slowly and while you're thinking, someone is trying to line you up. This is how players stop advancing up the ranks.

Doesn't matter what you believe should or shouldn't be, what matter is the way it is.

Reactions: BobbyJet

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
As you move up the ladder of competitive hockey you'd best be aware of your surroundings at all times and yes good coaches are teaching that to young players. Don't ever locate the puck with your eyes? WTH ever said that? I don't know of any other way to locate the puck that's not on your stick.

Why? Safety is one reason, the other reason is to know what you're going to do with the puck if/when it comes to you. If you start looking and thinking after the puck is on your stick it's too late. One, you're processing the play too slowly and while you're thinking, someone is trying to line you up. This is how players stop advancing up the ranks.

Doesn't matter what you believe should or shouldn't be, what matter is the way it is.
You realize none of this applies since the puck was never even within 5 feet of his stick, right? Theres no reason he should have had to worry about getting hit unless your contention is that you better expect to get blown up any time Connelly is on the ice.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
You realize none of this applies since the puck was never even within 5 feet of his stick, right? Theres no reason he should have had to worry about getting hit unless your contention is that you better expect to get blown up any time Connelly is on the ice.

My ENTIRE contention is that s player needs to be aware of what is going on around him.

Had 2 players collided accidentally sending one of them into Kero, he could have avoided that as well (never 100% of the time of course)

Whoever would like to teach players to look too long in any 1 direction while on the ice is fine by me, I'm never going to do it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
My ENTIRE contention is that s player needs to be aware of what is going on around him.

Had 2 players collided accidentally sending one of them into Kero, he could have avoided that as well (never 100% of the time of course)

Whoever would like to teach players to look too long in any 1 direction while on the ice is fine by me, I'm never going to do it.
My point was absolutely they should try. Defensive driving has saved me from a few accidents. Nobody is perfect though. Connolly made a mistake. Kero wasn't prepared for it. Bad shit happens.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Exactly .... but it seems no matter how many times it gets explained the same folks still don't get it. I give up.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

madgoat33

May 16, 2010

Yea, he could have gotten hit if two guys collided, but he didnt. He got hit because connolly lined him up with no intention on playing the puck.

Reactions: Illinihockey

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

why wasn’t he aware there was a guy that was going to blindside him as the puck came nowhere near him, that’s your entire contention? He didn’t take a big hit because the puck arrived the same time as the man, he took a big hit because some clocked him when he had no reason to expect a hit. This is moronic

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It was Pierre Turgeon’s fault Dale Hunter dislocated his shoulder. Should have been ready for it. Chris Draper’s fault he got his face destroyed by Claude Lemieux.

Reactions: Dead Meat and Giovi

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Don't be silly, if the puck take a weird carom off the boards into Kero's skates or body, he gets creamed just like actually happened except it wouldn't be a penalty.

Think a player might want to know where the pressure points are on the ice? Nah, he knew it would be interference.

Some very weird concepts of hockey being shown here.

Reactions: Illinihockey

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Don't be silly, if the puck take a weird carom off the boards into Kero's skates or body, he gets creamed just like actually happened except it wouldn't be a penalty.

Think a player might want to know where the pressure points are on the ice? Nah, he knew it would be interference.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate". what we have here is a complete failure to communicate - Google Search
They just don't get it and it seems they never will.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010

It didnt careen off the boards though, it went all the way down the ice. Connoly wasnt trying to play the puck at all, he obviously had no clue where it even was. He made a completely stupid hit because he saw a vulnerable guy and decided way ahead of time he was going to obliterate him. If thats "hockey" to you, then count me out.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

That's why I made my defensive driving analogy. I don't trust anyone to stop until they stop. As somebody with a CDL I treat my Ford Focus like a work truck.

The difference being if some moron blows a stop sign it's not my fault if they plow into eight tons of steel.

Kero needs to be aware of what's happening because people are stupid. It's not his fault people are stupid.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Don't want to get into the whole "did you even play or what level did you play", but a player is ALWAYS to assume the puck is coming to them and thus, what am I going to do when it does.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
That's why I made my defensive driving analogy. I don't trust anyone to stop until they stop. As somebody with a CDL I treat my Ford Focus like a work truck.

The difference being if some moron blows a stop sign it's not my fault if they plow into eight tons of steel.

Kero needs to be aware of what's happening because people are stupid. It's not his fault people are stupid.

A better analogy would be getting rear ended. Connolly didn’t blow a stop sign, he hit a guy that never saw him and didn’t have a reason to anticipate that might happen. If you’re sitting at a stop sign and someone plows into you no one says you should have been watching for that

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
A better analogy would be getting rear ended. Connolly didn’t blow a stop sign, he hit a guy that never saw him and didn’t have a reason to anticipate that might happen. If you’re sitting at a stop sign and someone plows into you no one says you should have been watching for that

Until you understand how wrong this notion is, you will not understand.

Do you not check your mirrors in an ongoing fashion while driving? Have never seen a guy obviously not going to stop and you are able to avoid him? Why would you do any of that, you didn't break any rules.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Until you understand how wrong this notion is, you will not understand.

Do you not check your mirrors in an ongoing fashion while driving? Have never seen a guy obviously not going to stop and you are able to avoid him? Why would you do any of that, you didn't break any rules.
No matter what kero did, he was going to get hit because connoly determined to hit him 3 seconds ahead of time while having no idea where the puck was. Yea, if he knew it was coming, it may not have resulted in as bad an injury, but he was getting hit no matter what because connolly decided he was going to hit him.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
I think both Connolly and Kero expected him to get the puck, so Connolly lined him up for it and was wrong. No way to pull up as it happens so fast. Strange that Connolly gets the penalties and suspension while the Hawks lose 2 players for a time on similar hits and there were no penalties or suspensions handed out.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I think both Connolly and Kero expected him to get the puck, so Connolly lined him up for it and was wrong. No way to pull up as it happens so fast. Strange that Connolly gets the penalties and suspension while the Hawks lose 2 players for a time on similar hits and there were no penalties or suspensions handed out.
If you're refencing the Khiara hit, I'd say it's pretty dissimilar in that Khiara actually had the puck, while Kero did not.

Terrible comparison.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

A player having the puck is a pretty important part of the legality of a hit...

I guess it was Hossa's fault Torres blew him up too.

It's amazing to me that older generations of hockey fans/coaches/players just can't get it through their heads that the game is moving away from this "keep your head on a swivel" and "keep your head up, kid" nonsense that has permeated the game since inception. The onus is now almost entirely on the HITTER to know whether or not to let up on a player. Because people have finally realized it is IMPOSSIBLE to defend yourself every second of every moment that you're on the ice.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
A player having the puck is a pretty important part of the legality of a hit...

I have said it is a penalty and Connolly got his suspension.

It's amazing to me that older generations of hockey fans/coaches/players just can't get it through their heads that the game is moving away from this "keep your head on a swivel" and "keep your head up, kid" nonsense that has permeated the game since inception

You think Bobby and I advocate trying to injure players? No way! But if I caught you fishing for the puck in your feet or admiring a pass a bit too long, you'd remember it for a while after you got up off the ice. (Those STOP signs on the back of jerseys were implemented while I was active and is a good teaching moment)

The onus is now almost entirely on the HITTER to know whether or not to let up on a player.

Why do you think this must be mutually exclusive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad