Player Discussion Brett Connolly II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If we give Neely credit for putting the kibosh on a bad Arizona deal Chiarelli was reportedly ready to make, he then has to eat this **** sandwich.

Charlie Jacobs head of hockey operations has allowed his GMs to waste a lot of (A LOT) of draft picks the last 16 months.

What ? Trading for Connolly ?

I liked that deal I am surprised at Connolly not developing and even being cut

I thought he played hard it was his skills that caught me off

Somehow Vatrano stole the shot Connolly was supposed to have

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Would almost guarantee with the release of Connolly they have a UFA deal in principle with a quality RW. I mean quality will be in the eye of the beholder, but Connolly and Ferraro were both RW last year.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Chiarelli traded for Connolly

What was offered for him ?

Why didn't Justin Schultz get something!

Smith - Pelley

Bennett

Lot of bad management all over the league
I'm not prepared to put Sweeney into that group of bad managers as you. But, if he doesn't pull off some moves to improve the roster soon he'll be with that group in my mind.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I could see Connolly evolving into a Danny Paille type player ( the good qualities of Paille ) . He can skate , isn't afraid to mix it up but didn't seem to have any offensive instincts or shot . I thought he had potential but not at all surprised or concerned the Bruins moved on from him .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would almost guarantee with the release of Connolly they have a UFA deal in principle with a quality RW. I mean quality will be in the eye of the beholder, but Connolly and Ferraro were both RW last year.

They'll probably sign Troy Brouwer for triple the price of what it cost to re-sign Connolly, for quadruple the term, and for about 35% more production.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The more I read your posts regarding Connolly, I think I got it figured out.

Star players = Useful

Non-star players = Garbage

You must of had a vile hatred for that Bergeron guy back in 2008-09. I mean, he's was doing a lot of little things well, but he didn't really put up many points even with PP time and decent line-mates. He must of been garbage. :sarcasm:

Connolly sucks at hockey, end of discussion.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I didn't have a problem with the deal at the time, though I didn't know much about Connolly, it made sense to me.

But obviously their pro-scouting **** the bed on this one. If we give Neely credit for stopping one bad Chiarelli deal the same day, it stands to reason he has to eat this one.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If they end up signing him for cheaper than the QO then it's a good move.

Otherwise add this to the list of wasted assets. He's certainly a player that frustrated me, never played to potential or been worth the cost to acquire him. But still a bottom six option I would have been willing to give another year of development before writing off.

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
He's considered garbage because he's not a very good hockey player at the NHL level.

It's nice to do all the little things, but we need to put this in perspective. Connolly had 16 assists riding shot gun with a 37 goal left wing and a 32 goal centre; he was a black hole of offence. All the little things are irrelevant in this situation, he was simply useless.

I found Tyler Seguin and Jaromir Jagr were even bigger black holes with those two in 2013, combining for one goal in 20 some games in the most important stage of the season. Seguin was expected to produced and did nothing. Of course those two are better than Connolly, but the point I'm making is the poor management of Brett Connolly as an asset was much more terrible than Connolly as a player. Tampa put him in a bottom six grinding role. No one here should have expected him to jump in and be the team sniper after one 12 goal season, draft pedigree aside. That's asking to be disappointed.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Devante Smith-Pelly?

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
He's considered garbage because he's not a very good hockey player at the NHL level.

It's nice to do all the little things, but we need to put this in perspective. Connolly had 16 assists riding shot gun with a 37 goal left wing and a 32 goal centre; he was a black hole of offence. All the little things are irrelevant in this situation, he was simply useless.

I can agree that his lack of offensive production on a top line is very frustrating. I just don't agree that he "sucks at hockey." Plus he averaged like 12 minutes of ice time - basically third/fourth line minutes. There is more to the game than point production and his aggressive forechecking and physical play was pretty good; just better suited on an energy line.

Last edited:

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I really liked Connolly even if his production was a disappointment. I'm sure the team won't miss him too much but I'm disappointed. I'm even more disappointed knowing Hayes is probably coming back.

I bet he signs in Arizona.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
i really thin Bruins tried to simplify Connolly's game to forechecking and being in front of the net while Marchy/Bergy worked their magic. He plays hard, finishes checks, and never looked like he took a night off. I just don't think the hockey sense is good enough to produce the amount of offense to warrant a top six spot. I see Arizona picking him up and their new GM getting high praise for some kind of great value.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I think this is a mistake. Connolly was getting it right in the second half of the season. His effort and will were clearly there. He's cheap and young. I don't understand why the bruins would let him go considering they lost 2 second round picks (too!).

I think it's a mistake.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
LOL. He would be great in the bottom 6. No idea why they didn't just keep him for that.

I don't know if he'd be great. At the very least you have a player who is young, willing to hit, has some size, and can occasionally score. He's an NHL player IMO. More so than someone like Griffith or Ferlin if you're looking to fill bottom-6 RW holes. Connolly barely costs more and can be buried with minimal cap ramifications if he can't make the team (which would be pretty surprising given this current group). Low risk with a little chance for some reward. Why not? I still don't understand the logic.

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
So small, slow, soft, Seth Griffith you want.

But Connolly

Garbage. :sarcasm

Yup. A couple posters here-and-there say he's garbage. Can't deny it! I guess we'll put in a player who also sucked on the top line both offensively and defensively and got sent down for being pushed around and lost in his own end.

But wait! Players can improve right? Well, with the exception of Connolly. It's not like he showed improvement before getting five minutes of ice time once Stempniak came in, who basically halted his linemates' production.

I thought Connolly gave the fourth line a nice boost, too. Maybe one of our better fourth liners. But I guess not, right? He sucks! Way overpaid, too! Making superstar money and badly affecting the cap.

But I digress. Point is, if fans say Connolly sucks, he sucks. Period. End of discussion. No one can think he has any upside or value. Also, all players hit their prime at 24 and if not, they suck forever.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Yup. A couple posters here-and-there say he's garbage. Can't deny it! I guess we'll put in a player who also sucked on the top line both offensively and defensively and got sent down for being pushed around and lost in his own end.

But wait! Players can improve right? Well, with the exception of Connolly. It's not like he showed improvement before getting five minutes of ice time once Stempniak came in, who basically halted his linemates' production.

I thought Connolly gave the fourth line a nice boost, too. Maybe one of our better fourth liners. But I guess not, right? He sucks! Way overpaid, too! Making superstar money and badly affecting the cap.

But I digress. Point is, if fans say Connolly sucks, he sucks. Period. End of discussion. No one can think he has any upside or value. Also, all players hit their prime at 24 and if not, they suck forever.

Glad you came to the right side of the debate. When you put up 8 primary assists while your linemates score 32 and 37 goals, you are garbage.

And I am also glad you see it is silly to base any assumption over 10 games of one season when we have 200 other games in his career to judge him by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad