Player Discussion Brett Connolly II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Still waiting to see something that remotely makes me feel comfortable with him in our top 9.

Aside from his draft pedigree, I see no reason why this guy would be a lock for a top 9 role let alone the top 6 many here have slotted him into. I don't question his shot or his size, but I certainly question his hockey IQ. He just seems to make the wrong plays at the wrong times, in the limited games I've seen him play here.

ZenBaja

Oct 16, 2006
I haven't been able to watch him in any preseason games, but this write up doesn't sound so bad?

Earlier in the period both Connolly and Hayes showed tenacious willingness to battle in front of the net to keep a play alive after Austin Czarnik hit a post, and it eventually resulted in a Brandon Carlo score set up by the melee in front of the net.

Connolly and Hayes didn’t end up with the goal despite their laudable efforts winning battles in front of the net, but received encouragement by being part of the all-around offense created in the third period comeback.

From
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/julien-could-group-spooner-hayes-and-connolly

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Aside from his draft pedigree, I see no reason why this guy would be a lock for a top 9 role let alone the top 6 many here have slotted him into. I don't question his shot or his size, but I certainly question his hockey IQ. He just seems to make the wrong plays at the wrong times, in the limited games I've seen him play here.

Completely agree with this.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC

Bingo, looks like he's 2 steps behind everything. Maybe try him wih Bergy and Marchy who always seem to be 2 steps ahead of everything and they will even out :sarcasm:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Connolly has proven himself beyond draft day. This is not a prospect who has failed to develop. He scored 46 goals in the WHL his post-draft year, after being injured the entire season before. He has a 30 goal season in the AHL, and a near ppg season after that. Last year was arguably the first year he regressed as a player, and he still scored 12 goals in limited ice time.

I see a player who skates well, but his mind doesn't quite process the game fast enough yet. The more he plays in the NHL, the more the game should slow down for him. The potential is definitely there though.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Connolly has proven himself beyond draft day. This is not a prospect who has failed to develop. He scored 46 goals in the WHL his post-draft year, after being injured the entire season before. He has a 30 goal season in the AHL, and a near ppg season after that. Last year was arguably the first year he regressed as a player, and he still scored 12 goals in limited ice time.

I see a player who skates well, but his mind doesn't quite process the game fast enough yet. The more he plays in the NHL, the more the game should slow down for him. The potential is definitely there though.

If he doesn't have the hockey IQ to "process" the game at the NHL level pace, what makes you think it'll "slow" for him over time?

This is my concern -- if you can't think the game at a high level, seems unlikely you're going to magically develop that capacity in your 20's.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I'm not saying he can't or won't improve, just that right now he seems behind the play a lot by a step or two. He can certainly improve still, but whether he does will go a long way to making this trade a boon or a bust.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
If he doesn't have the hockey IQ to "process" the game at the NHL level pace, what makes you think it'll "slow" for him over time?

This is my concern -- if you can't think the game at a high level, seems unlikely you're going to magically develop that capacity in your 20's.

There are a lot of players that struggle with the mental speed of the game early in their career. Marchand was one of them. I don't expect hockey sense to ever be a strength for Connolly, but I don't see why it can't improve. The coaches need to tell him to stay in position and let the game come to him. I see him chasing the play far too much, even to the opposite wing in the defensive end.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm not saying he can't or won't improve, just that right now he seems behind the play a lot by a step or two. He can certainly improve still, but whether he does will go a long way to making this trade a boon or a bust.

I don't know Connolly or his hockey IQ well enough to comment, and am basing this strictly on my years coaching youth sports. Most times when you see players struggling to grasp concepts it falls into two categories, either the kid will "get it" and his confusion is mostly due to lack of experience and/or lack of exposure to the game, or he never will regardless of how much you saturate them. My son has had the benefit of growing up in a "hockey house" and seems to have a good hockey IQ. I think that is in part due to the fact that he's been exposed to the game since he was small. He watches it, plays it live, plays it on Xbox and we discuss the game all the time. There are kids that don't come from a hockey background that need time to build up this exposure to the game. These kids will typically get better and better the longer they play and are able to grow their knowledge base. Unfortunately, there are also kids that never really get it regardless of how much they are exposed to the game. These kids can still be good players, but they need guys who do have a high hockey IQ to help them along.

There is always a "period of adjustment" for any player that is acclimating to a new level, and each player has a different time frame for that adjustment. The question is whether or not Connolly is still adjusting or whether he's never going to get it. He has been exposed to hockey his whole life, so it's doubtful that is the issue. It could be that he's never going to be a "heady" player, but he's talented enough to still be a good NHL player (as he has been at every other level)...or it could be that his lack of hockey IQ finally gets exposed at the NHL level. I have had guys that have played at high levels (AHL) tell me that the line between guys that make it and don't is razor thin.

I am hoping that BC "gets it". If he doesn't, I hope the B's can move him something worthwhile.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I don't know Connolly or his hockey IQ well enough to comment, and am basing this strictly on my years coaching youth sports. Most times when you see players struggling to grasp concepts it falls into two categories, either the kid will "get it" and his confusion is mostly due to lack of experience and/or lack of exposure to the game, or he never will regardless of how much you saturate them. My son has had the benefit of growing up in a "hockey house" and seems to have a good hockey IQ. I think that is in part due to the fact that he's been exposed to the game since he was small. He watches it, plays it live, plays it on Xbox and we discuss the game all the time. There are kids that don't come from a hockey background that need time to build up this exposure to the game. These kids will typically get better and better the longer they play and are able to grow their knowledge base. Unfortunately, there are also kids that never really get it regardless of how much they are exposed to the game. These kids can still be good players, but they need guys who do have a high hockey IQ to help them along.

There is always a "period of adjustment" for any player that is acclimating to a new level, and each player has a different time frame for that adjustment. The question is whether or not Connolly is still adjusting or whether he's never going to get it. He has been exposed to hockey his whole life, so it's doubtful that is the issue. It could be that he's never going to be a "heady" player, but he's talented enough to still be a good NHL player (as he has been at every other level)...or it could be that his lack of hockey IQ finally gets exposed at the NHL level. I have had guys that have played at high levels (AHL) tell me that the line between guys that make it and don't is razor thin.

I am hoping that BC "gets it". If he doesn't, I hope the B's can move him something worthwhile.

Nice insights here, Glory. Hope you're right Connolly will improve.. though he's already had 139 games at the NHL level; so if he's still a little behind, it's worrying.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
There are a lot of players that struggle with the mental speed of the game early in their career. Marchand was one of them. I don't expect hockey sense to ever be a strength for Connolly, but I don't see why it can't improve. The coaches need to tell him to stay in position and let the game come to him. I see him chasing the play far too much, even to the opposite wing in the defensive end.

Fair enough -- (just see my concerns expressed to Glory above).

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I've been very critical of Connolly from the outset. I'd seen him a little bit in TB and he looked like an occasional floater, missed golden opportunities like so many we've seen in the past, etc. He made a beautiful move in a recent game and had the goalie beat but rang the cross bar. Had another nice opportunity from an angle and missed the net. Could be early season rust...could be same old same old.

I've never been impressed by him, but I'm taking another tact...wait and see. Same as I'm taking with Belesksy and Hayes, both of whom have underwhelmed me so far in this pre-season. No need to pick a whipping boy just yet and there are other candidates.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I've been very critical of Connolly from the outset. I'd seen him a little bit in TB and he looked like an occasional floater, missed golden opportunities like so many we've seen in the past, etc. He made a beautiful move in a recent game and had the goalie beat but rang the cross bar. Had another nice opportunity from an angle and missed the net. Could be early season rust...could be same old same old.

I've never been impressed by him, but I'm taking another tact...wait and see. Same as I'm taking with Belesksy and Hayes, both of whom have underwhelmed me so far in this pre-season. No need to pick a whipping boy just yet and there are other candidates.

Agreed that Beleskey has shown little so far, but I have liked Hayes a lot from what I have seen. Better skater than what I anticipated and appears to know his role.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I feel like I am reading an old Blake Wheeler thread here.

/Thread. you nailed it. Connolly is just 23 years old and played 68 games as a rookie in the NHL so the bulk of his NHL experience came when he was seriously rushed into the league. He's not a perfect player, but I'm sorry, if you thought you were getting a superstar for 2 seconds, I don't know what to tell you. Guys like him sometimes take a little longer to develop because his hockey sense lags behind his natural talent. Wheeler is the perfect example as he really didn't break out until he was 25 despite being a reasonably productive player at 23 and 24 for the Bruins.

Just to put it all into context, a guy that HFBoards is absolutely in love with, Austin Czarnick, is just 6 months younger than Connolly.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
/Thread. you nailed it. Connolly is just 23 years old and played 68 games as a rookie in the NHL so the bulk of his NHL experience came when he was seriously rushed into the league. He's not a perfect player, but I'm sorry, if you thought you were getting a superstar for 2 seconds, I don't know what to tell you. Guys like him sometimes take a little longer to develop because his hockey sense lags behind his natural talent. Wheeler is the perfect example as he really didn't break out until he was 25 despite being a reasonably productive player at 23 and 24 for the Bruins.

Just to put it all into context, a guy that HFBoards is absolutely in love with, Austin Czarnick, is just 6 months younger than Connolly.

His development I think got stalled as well with the injury his draft year and going to the NHL 1 year after that because they didn't want him to go back to Junior, but he really struggled that year. He did very well in the AHL and was forced to learn to play on the 4th line last year, which is something he was able to change his play to do and carve a role out for himself. He got 12 goals in limited ice time and made a spot for him on Tampa, he wouldn't have gotten 2 2nds if he hadn't been contributing in Tampa.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Well at that price you should at very least be getting a competent top 9 forward that can flip into top six action if need be. Hopefully that's what it is.. Didn't Kyle Palmieri cost as much or less?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

haha I can't wait for the Bruins to trade Connolly only to have him turn into a 50 point guy like Wheeler and then everyone on this board will bash the Bruins for trading him regardless of how well the trade worked out for them and totally ignoring that said people were calling him a bust 5 whole games into his Bruins career.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be Benoit Pouliot, another high draft pick with very little hockey IQ and a step behind the play.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota

Haha...Great call. Just wait until Connolly goes offside on a rush this year...this place will go bonkers with the comparisons.

He's a kid. I'm not freaking out. He's found a way to produce at every level south of the NHL, so his game is clearly translatable in at least some varying degree. I'd be far more concerned if his offensive production had completely stalled out when he left the WHL, but he's shown to be a kid that could still score as a pro, so I think he'll figure it out. Bottom line, for me at least, is that this team ain't winning a cup this year anyway, so why not give Connolly every opportunity to meet his potential in a scoring role?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Well at that price you should at very least be getting a competent top 9 forward that can flip into top six action if need be. Hopefully that's what it is.. Didn't Kyle Palmieri cost as much or less?

Well you can't prove a negative, but there isn't much evidence yet that he isn't that. Also Palmieri cost a 2nd and a 3rd, is more expensive, and has 2 less years of club control before he's a UFA. I also don't see much of a chance that Connolly equals Palmieri's age 23 season pretty easily (14G 17A).

I just think people's expectations are far too high/perceptions are off. If Connolly put up Palmieri numbers the next two years (14G 17A) would people say they got value or would they march down causeway with pitchforks? I think the latter is more likely and I don't understand why.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Well you can't prove a negative, but there isn't much evidence yet that he isn't that. Also Palmieri cost a 2nd and a 3rd, is more expensive, and has 2 less years of club control before he's a UFA. I also don't see much of a chance that Connolly equals Palmieri's age 23 season pretty easily (14G 17A).

I just think people's expectations are far too high/perceptions are off. If Connolly put up Palmieri numbers the next two years (14G 17A) would people say they got value or would they march down causeway with pitchforks? I think the latter is more likely and I don't understand why.

Every board needs a whipping boy...sadly the Bruins board needs at least 4 or 5...depending on the day and time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad