Player Discussion Brett Connolly II

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
We will always have the 1 goal and 6 assists in 10 games where Connolly proved he wasn't useless then Stempiak showed up and ruined Connolly's career :rant: #neverforget #connolly14

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
This board has been killing Connolly all year now it's a bad move :laugh:

Surprising move butter it's not October yet

The problem is not letting Connolly go. It's again that Sweeney will get nothing in return for one of his asset.

Loui
Wasting picks on Rinaldo-Liles-Stempniak
Connolly

Another very poor job managing assets by Sweeney.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
This kid is snake bitten and another (likely last) fresh start will be good for him. That being said I actually liked is hustle and he has a great shot if he could ever hit the net (Tory Krug syndrome but down low). I wanted to keep him but he is replaceable.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I would have kept him.... he was a good middle 6 guy... he'll probably never ever be the trigger man ppl thought he was going to be but he put in work and hustled.... i'd take him over hayes.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
He may have benefited from playing with Krecji and Belesky.... DK likes to have bigger wingers... cons could have been horton lite

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I doubt he re-signs here. He will be a good third fourth liner somewhere. Unfortunately we gave up a lot and expectations of a first rounder which really caused this. We all loved Paille, another first round bust, and Connolly could have filled that role. Management just lost the gamble he would turn into a top 6 player and is cutting bait.

I don't agree with it, but there has been very little I agree with with Management.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
could also just them freeing up a roster spot for someone to steal out of camp, or use griffith more.... the other bad thing is it potentially pushes hayes back into the top 6

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I think people were frustrated with Connolly because we wanted him to be better

But realistically he could be a decent and very cheap bottom 6 player. But now he's probably gone for nothing and that's dumb. I'll be perplexed unless he's replaced by a younger forward like Griffith or someone on else the fringe. If he's replaced by Matt Martin I'll shake my head and laugh

Dupell6

Jul 5, 2013
I still haven't given up on him. Hoping management knows they can resign him under the qualifying tender. If not I wish him luck, and hope he puts it all together.

Dupell6

Jul 5, 2013
But Connolly was 23 years old all of last season.

I honestly don't understand why some players are "kids". Like why is Colin Miller (24 in October) often considered a kid? Or Acciari, who's 24 going on 25 mid-season. Even throw Spooner in there at 24. Also Vatrano at 22, Czernik at 23, Griffith 23, Ferlin 24, Morrow 23.

Landon Ferraro is also 24. Nobody throws him in the same group as the other guys. He's just as much of a youth as Acciari or Ferlin.

I've always found Reilly Smith never got that same status and leeway that came with being a "kid". Even though his 22 and 23 year old seasons here were very productive compared to his peers.

Krug is another guy who never seems to get that credit of still having upside. He's improved immensely from 21-24, and only just turned 25. Just doesn't seem to be viewed the same way other young players are. Personally, I don't think we've seen his ceiling.

Maybe it's just me.

Nailed it. I never understood why some people don't understand that Connolly and Smith are still very young.

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
We will always have the 1 goal and 6 assists in 10 games where Connolly proved he wasn't useless then Stempiak showed up and ruined Connolly's career :rant: #neverforget #connolly14

What about that three assist game against the Jets shortly before the demotion? #connolly14 #istillhavefaith

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/...ncy-raising-questions-about-asset-management/

Finally someone is calling out Sweeney for bad moves. Donny needs to be held accountable.

I don't like Sweeney, but letting Brett Connolly walk isn't something I am going to get upset over. I will also predict he will end up scoring more goals next year elsewhere, but he is really a bottom six guy.

What about that three assist game against the Jets shortly before the demotion? #connolly14 #istillhavefaith

The cusp of greatness,

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
A lack of depth doesn't mean you need to hang on to garbage though.

Not understanding how he is considered garbage. Inconsistent, yes. But for a team lacking RW depth and physicality, he was basically the one they leaned on to fill a role he isn't suited for. He's a player that under-performed on the top line, but he would help the team on the third or fourth line if they had some proven goal-scoring RW's. It's funny, people seem to forget Pastrnak's flaws (turnovers/giveaways, losing battles along the boards, getting knocked off the puck easily) while also forgetting Connolly's positives that would have made him more effective in the bottom-six (second among forwards in hits, played well away from the puck, opens up space for linemates, intense forechecking).

What is garbage, however, is the asset management. Giving up two 2nd rounders for a guy who hasn't proven to be a goal-scorer IS garbage. Letting him walk for nothing IS garbage. Not giving him a shot as a regular bottom-six forward (with more than five minutes of ice time) IS garbage. I still think he can be more effective given a proper role, but I am quickly losing faith in this organization based in recent decision making.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Not understanding how he is considered garbage. Inconsistent, yes. But for a team lacking RW depth and physicality, he was basically the one they leaned on to fill a role he isn't suited for. He's a player that under-performed on the top line, but he would help the team on the third or fourth line if they had some proven goal-scoring RW's. It's funny, people seem to forget Pastrnak's flaws (turnovers/giveaways, losing battles along the boards, getting knocked off the puck easily) while also forgetting Connolly's positives that would have made him more effective in the bottom-six (second among forwards in hits, played well away from the puck, opens up space for linemates, intense forechecking).

He's considered garbage because he's not a very good hockey player at the NHL level.

It's nice to do all the little things, but we need to put this in perspective. Connolly had 16 assists riding shot gun with a 37 goal left wing and a 32 goal centre; he was a black hole of offence. All the little things are irrelevant in this situation, he was simply useless.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
16l031.jpg

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If we give Neely credit for putting the kibosh on a bad Arizona deal Chiarelli was reportedly ready to make, he then has to eat this **** sandwich.

Charlie Jacobs head of hockey operations has allowed his GMs to waste a lot of (A LOT) of draft picks the last 16 months.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If we give Neely credit for putting the kibosh on a bad Arizona deal Chiarelli was reportedly ready to make, he then has to eat this **** sandwich.

Charlie Jacobs head of hockey operations has allowed his GMs to waste a lot of (A LOT) of draft picks the last 16 months.

One thing I like so far is the purging of garbage...For better or worse, they are decisive... Chia would have had Connolly top 6 again next year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's considered garbage because he's not a very good hockey player at the NHL level.

It's nice to do all the little things, but we need to put this in perspective. Connolly had 16 assists riding shot gun with a 37 goal left wing and a 32 goal centre; he was a black hole of offence. All the little things are irrelevant in this situation, he was simply useless.

The more I read your posts regarding Connolly, I think I got it figured out.

Star players = Useful

Non-star players = Garbage

You must of had a vile hatred for that Bergeron guy back in 2008-09. I mean, he's was doing a lot of little things well, but he didn't really put up many points even with PP time and decent line-mates. He must of been garbage. :sarcasm:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Yeah it's been horrible. I take some comfort in knowing the Sweeney cheerleaders have started to drop in numbers after the way this offseason started. I suspect by this time next year we'll only be down to 2-3 of them among regular posters.

Now if out of nowhere he drops a pile of cash on Okposo, I could see him getting a lot of friends here again. But I think it's going to take nothing short of that. I'm still almost certain that the blueline is going to look nearly identical now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
One thing I like so far is the purging of garbage...For better or worse, they are decisive... Chia would have had Connolly top 6 again next year.

Well right now were on pace for one of Griffith or Hayes instead.

I'd rather have Connolly than either of those two.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The problem is not letting Connolly go. It's again that Sweeney will get nothing in return for one of his asset.

Loui
Wasting picks on Rinaldo-Liles-Stempniak
Connolly

Another very poor job managing assets by Sweeney.

Chiarelli traded for Connolly

What was offered for him ?

Why didn't Justin Schultz get something!

Smith - Pelley

Bennett

Lot of bad management all over the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad