Player Discussion Brett Connolly II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Glad you came to the right side of the debate. When you put up 8 primary assists while your linemates score 32 and 37 goals, you are garbage.

And I am also glad you see it is silly to base any assumption over 10 games of one season when we have 200 other games in his career to judge him by.

Man your argument has so many holes in it. If your using the fact he put up 8 primary assists on his line-mates 69 total goals, you have to consider the fact that 23 of the 69 (33%) of them were scored on special teams play with Connolly on the bench. 8 out of 46 isn't great, but it's a lot better than 8 out of 69.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If we give Neely credit for putting the kibosh on a bad Arizona deal Chiarelli was reportedly ready to make, he then has to eat this **** sandwich.

Charlie Jacobs head of hockey operations has allowed his GMs to waste a lot of (A LOT) of draft picks the last 16 months.

Curious, what was the reported trade?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Man your argument has so many holes in it. If your using the fact he put up 8 primary assists on his line-mates 69 total goals, you have to consider the fact that 23 of the 69 (33%) of them were scored on special teams play with Connolly on the bench. 8 out of 46 isn't great, but it's a lot better than 8 out of 69.

So basically were splitting hairs between he is garbage and he is bad? :laugh:

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
I think it's a mistake he just turn 24 in may, pretty sure he will give in his career 3 to 4 20 goals season to a team who believe in him . Time will tell

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Well after a days worth of debate I got you up from Garbage to Bad, i'll take it. ;)

I have some free time so lets drop the hammer.

http://puckalytics.com/superwowy.html

Marchand/Bergeron

With Connolly 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
423:55|21|17|2.97|2.41

Without Connolly 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
456:20|22|12|2.89|1.58

What we have is a 3% decrease in offensive numbers, but a 41% decrease goals against without Connolly. Guess who was the only guy Out of Marchand and Bergeron to have more goals scored against them than scored?

With Stempinak
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
186:49|9|3|2.89|0.96

With Stempinak offensively the Bergeron/Marchand line is the same as with someone else. However, defensively, they are even better. However, I don't think it is a big enough sample size to draw any conclusions.

Connolly's net impact on Bergeron and Marchand was negative. Without him they were a better line. Connolly sucks at hockey. Now where is your evidence? I don''t want to hear non-sense about hitting or forechecking.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have some free time so lets drop the hammer.

http://puckalytics.com/superwowy.html

Marchand/Bergeron

With Connolly 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
423:55|21|17|2.97|2.41

Without Connolly 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
456:20|22|12|2.89|1.58

What we have is a 3% decrease in offensive numbers, but a 41% decrease goals against without Connolly. Guess who was the only guy Out of Marchand and Bergeron to have more goals scored against them than scored?

With Stempinak
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
186:49|9|3|2.89|0.96

With Stempinak offensively the Bergeron/Marchand line is the same as with someone else. However, defensively, they are even better. However, I don't think it is a big enough sample size to draw any conclusions.

Connolly's net impact on Bergeron and Marchand was negative. Without him they were a better line. Connolly sucks at hockey. Now where is your evidence? I don''t want to hear non-sense about hitting or forechecking.

How does this prove Connolly sucks at hockey. You say they were better without him, where are the numbers for the players they played with other than Stempniak? You got time on your hands.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
How does this prove Connolly sucks at hockey. You say they were better without him, where are the numbers for the players they played with other than Stempniak? You got time on your hands.

Bergeron Marchand with any player (Including Connolly/Stempiak) 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
880:15|43|29|2.93|1.98

Bergeron Marchand with any player (excluding Connolly/Stempiak) 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
269:31|13|9|2.89|2.00

I'm waiting for your retort.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bergeron Marchand with any player (Including Connolly/Stempiak) 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
880:15|43|29|2.93|1.98

Bergeron Marchand with any player (excluding Connolly/Stempiak) 5v5
TOI|G|GA|GF60|GA60
269:31|13|9|2.89|2.00

So based on this my takeaway is it didn't really matter who Marchand and Bergeron played with 5 on 5 last year. The GF and GA are roughly the same either way.

Absolutely Offside*

Known by his Irish name as Jimmy Hayes.
Dissimilar players both stylistically and metrically. Really forced, unfounded comparison. Not sure you've seen enough of Smith-Pelly, given your assessment; would be interested to hear how much of him you've seen at the pro level.

Would almost guarantee with the release of Connolly they have a UFA deal in principle with a quality RW. I mean quality will be in the eye of the beholder, but Connolly and Ferraro were both RW last year.

Would like to think that Matt Martin being mentioned as a target would mean that he's personally close to Okposo, who would then ultimately be the target they have in mind, but given the apparent mindset of this FO, it isn't unreasonable to think they plainly value Martin. Weirdly, they have the more versatile version of him with more refined puck skills (lol, but seriously) in Matt Beleskey.

Anton Blidh plays a heavy game and sacrifices his body too. He also can retain possession and make smart decisions when trying to break out. Given that he was one of the last guys cut last year, I would think they want to give him an extended shot. Signing someone like Martin seems dumb in that case.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
So based on this my takeaway is it didn't really matter who Marchand and Bergeron played with 5 on 5 last year. The GF and GA are roughly the same either way.

Goals for, yes.
With Connolly there was a 3% difference in goals for per sixty minutes. Not much

Goals against no.
There was a 19% difference in goals against per sixty minutes with Marchand and Bergeron with any player other than Connolly.

With Stempiak on the line there was an 86% difference in goals against per sixty minutes. However, I've stated that I don't think the sample size is large enough for a real comparison.

Connolly was a negative on that line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Goals for, yes.
With Connolly there was a 3% difference in goals for per sixty minutes. Not much

Goals against no.
There was a 19% difference in goals against per sixty minutes with Marchand and Bergeron with any player other than Connolly.

With Stempiak on the line there was an 86% difference in goals against per sixty minutes. However, I've stated that I don't think the sample size is large enough for a real comparison.

Connolly was a negative on that line.

Ok so Connolly offensively wasn't any more a black hole on that line than anyone else was, but defensively he's was a negative factor.

And to be honest, one area of his game where my arm can be twisted on him is in the defensive zone. I don't recall see many glaring errors, he struggled to make clean break-outs sometimes, I guess I might of placed too much emphasis on the D being the problem, but based on this his defensive and neutral zone play wasn't up to snuff. I'll agree that seems to be the case.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I should add I made an error,

I did percent differences between numbers, not the percent of change between two numbers.

Offensively with Connolly 3.5%
Defensively without Connolly 17% decrease
Defensively with Stempiak vs Connolly 66% decease

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I should add I made an error,

I did percent differences between numbers, not the percent of change between two numbers.

Offensively with Connolly 3.5%
Defensively without Connolly 17% decrease
Defensively with Stempiak vs Connolly 66% decease

So is it fair to say offensively the 63/37 line was no better or worse off with Connolly, Stempniak, or anyone else.

But improve significantly with Stempniak?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
So is it fair to say offensively the 63/37 line was no better or worse off with Connolly, Stempniak, or anyone else.

But improve significantly with Stempniak?

Yes, With Connolly 2.41 goals against per 60 minutes

With Stempiak 0.96 goals against per 60 minutes.

Yes that is much better with Stempiak than with Connoll, but again, small sample size.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I know it's irrational, but cutting Connolly loose kind of bothers me. I don't care about his draft position, and at this point, the 2 2nds are a sunk cost. I just think he can be a good to great 3rd or 4th liner with upside and most importantly, a low cost. I think he plays hard, and gives a **** and he still has a bit of skill. He's younger than Spooner, and if previous GM's over valued him there's nothing we can do about that now. Cutting him loose so you can play Hayes or Randall is a mistake, even if he never pots 15 goals in a season.

5pointslow

Feb 11, 2015
Taunton ma
my opinion is pay him dirt cheap and have him on 3rd or 4th line

i dont care about his draft , or hype as well but i do know he shows at times his shot , not a bad thing to have a bottom 6 guy cheap that has a chance to flash at times

and he is still young to boot

i would have given him another year ........who knows watch him go else were and put up 25 goals lol that be our luck

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I think it's a mistake he just turn 24 in may, pretty sure he will give in his career 3 to 4 20 goals season to a team who believe in him . Time will tell

Agree here. Bruins need to stop walking away from these young guys and stop signing players deep into their thirties. This team would look allot better now if Seguin and Hamilton were in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad