Confirmed with Link: Brett Connolly 1 year 850k

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Only 4 of Chimera's goals came on the PP. He had the same amount of 5on5 goals (12) as TJ Oshie, and more than Kuznetsov (11) or Johansson (10).

I think Winnik is most certainly a different player, and I think he's definitely better than the 4LW alternatives currently in the system. But I don't think he's really on par with Chimera. Chimmer can play anywhere in the bottom nine, can play both special teams, and still provides some value even when he's not on the score sheet. When he is on the score sheet, he was one of the best contracts in the NHL. I fully understand moving on from him, but I don't think Winnik really replaces Chimera.

As for the possession metrics, they do not reflect kindly on Chimera. Winnik was largely neutral, despite rather tough deployments/utilization. That's a net plus for Winnik. However, much of his stats (both "fancy" and otherwise) have been in decline for the past couple years, which gives me a lot of pause. Winnik's days as a top flight defensive forward are pretty much over, IMO. At the minimum he should provide value on the PK, which is worthy of a roster spot.

Fancy stats support Winnik over Chimera. Interesting.

Frankly, as I've stated multiple times, I'd like the Caps to use Winnik's salary +'available cap' to procure someone to push Wilson down to 4th line. But hasn't happened yet.

My main point is the hand wringing over the Caps bottom 6, and how Eller in Chimera out is a somehow a problem. Any talk of the bottom 6 needs to include Winnik in for Laich. That was part of it...even if it didn't help much this past post-season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I don't see a problem with Winnik as many others do.

Guy is here for this season only, and he will serve the purpose. Getting some guy like Connolly there could be a big minus for PK. Bad PK could lead to other problems with Backstrom, for example.

Also, those 2,2M will be needed next year, so no point of clearing it right now.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD

Guy is here for this season only, and he will serve the purpose. Getting some guy like Connolly there could be a big minus for PK. Bad PK could lead to other problems with Backstrom, for example.

Also, those 2,2M will be needed next year, so no point of clearing it right now.

Well, I guess that makes two of us. I don't recall anyone else saying they were happy with Winnik. I like how he played here last year. He makes a little too much but it's half what BL made for far more production. And as you said, we need his money next off season. Winnik-Beagle-Connolly could be a very good 4th line.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Well, I guess that makes two of us. I don't recall anyone else saying they were happy with Winnik. I like how he played here last year. He makes a little too much but it's half what BL made for far more production. And as you said, we need his money next off season. Winnik-Beagle-Connolly could be a very good 4th line.

Count me in as well. I have no issues with Winnik, he's strong on the PK as well as along the boards and in the corners. Solid 4th liner, who will be gone after this season.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
more dead weight. doubt this guy gets a sweater other than injury duty. Bruins fans seem to think guy shows a lot of effort but is allergic to the net. So a slower less physical chimera. So much for the last year of the 2 year window.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I'm with you guys....no issue with 1 more year of DW. He's playing for his next contract. Hungry is good.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Low risk, high reward signing. No chance he ends up breaking out playing bottom 6 minutes but the skill is there and he's still young. If he's rotten, he's a scratch. If he somehow finds his touch then it's a steal.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Low risk, high reward signing. No chance he ends up breaking out playing bottom 6 minutes but the skill is there and he's still young. If he's rotten, he's a scratch. If he somehow finds his touch then it's a steal.

Well if chimera could score 20 goals, maybe he can too :)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Another factor, already mentioned obviously, but anyway: Connolly is here for now, but immediately clears his caphit at deadline if required. He's not blocking anybody and is not much blocked himself. That's a good situation.

The only bad thing about him that I'm aware of is him being glass.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think anyone has issues with Winnik as a 4th liner in terms of his ability to play hockey. What people have issue with is Winnik's salary blocking the Capitals from upgrading the top 9F or top 4D.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I don't think anyone has issues with Winnik as a 4th liner in terms of his ability to play hockey. What people have issue with is Winnik's salary blocking the Capitals from upgrading the top 9F or top 4D.

Got that but, IMO, we'd (very likely) be downgrading the 4th line and PK to save ~$1M. I'd rather just keep him. You want to improve the 2/3 Forwards I'd find a way to move Mojo for a better player.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Winnik also produces nothing offensively in the playoffs on a team that wants more from it's bottom six (and is I guess a bit shy to call out the second line for whatever reason). $1M banked until the deadline would give them the flexibility to add significant salary.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
he's got a real quick release, and we could defiantly use some scoring touch in the bottom 6.

I don't by any means expect him to find his "potential" from his junior game/draft stock ever but if he can score 10-15 and stay fully engaged every single play...I have no issues if he plays 3rd or 4th.

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015

Looked a lot more confident in those highlights than he did in Boston. He had a nice five game point streak in late October with (4g, 2a) where he looked to be a 30 goal guy, but finished the year with 9 goals in 71 games. Seemed really snake-bitten and lacked confidence - Bergeron and Marchand basically stopped passing to him after a while (he only had like 80-90 SOG last season). Could easily bounce back though, he shows a lot of hussle. I thought he was one of those players that could've netted at least 15 with better puck-luck. Guy hit a lot of posts/crossbars, but at the same time had a tendency to shoot into the goalie's chest. I found he was a player that when he wasn't finishing his shots, he was at least finishing a lot of checks. Probably a good third-line RW/2nd PP unit guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad