Confirmed with Link: Brett Connolly 1 year 850k

BackVechkin

Dec 19, 2014
I think Connolly is a very solid 4RW. I would love to see caps trade winnik for picks and sign brandon pirri to a contract

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I know people love their sarcastic comments about how the Capitals' additions lately are going to put them over the top, but their bottom-6 is pretty clearly better after these moves. Connolly may not end up being their 3RW but he will at least provide more competiton for Wilson/Galiev/Vrana.

A 3rd line of Johansson - Eller - Connolly is pretty decent and there's some possibility of upside with all three of those players. Good signing.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I know people love their sarcastic comments about how the Capitals' additions lately are going to put them over the top, but their bottom-6 is pretty clearly better after these moves. Connolly may not end up being their 3RW but he will at least provide more competiton for Wilson/Galiev/Vrana.

A 3rd line of Johansson - Eller - Connolly is pretty decent and there's some possibility of upside with all three of those players. Good signing.

I think that the pro scouting staff has enough credibility at this point under GMBM that I trust them on this move. I think they see Connolly as a guy whose play style and slight scoring touch could thrive playing on that line you drew up. I like the reports I've been reading on him.

I also agree with those that feel another move is still coming.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Eller > Richards
Connolly > Latta
Vrana/? - Chimera

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Eller is much better than Richards. Maybe they're close defensively but Richards just can't produce offense anymore.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Broken down like that and its hard to argue the bottom 6 wont be better. And depending on how well GmBm does with mojo/orlov we could be in a nice spot to make a move at the TDL

broken down like that, sure. I think most here are assuming Connolly is replacing Chimera and not Latta. Latta played as often as he was scratched. I am leaning in the direction that Galiev is going to play and Connolly catch games when they are available, but most here see Connolly pushing Wilson to the 4th line.

If that's the case Eller is better than Richards but Connolly is not better than Chimera.

Connolly and Wilson had almost the exact same production numbers last season. I am not sure why everyone concludes he is the 3RW and Wilson not.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I bet all my vCash Connolly will outscore Wilson this season.

Also I think Connolly has a good chance to play above Wilson in the lineup.

Better shot, hands, probably skating too. Maybe he's a guy who can play in PP2 in a slot. Guy is offensively talented.

If something goes wrong - can be buried in the AHL. Compensates for Wilson's 2M (which could be a bit worse than some hoped).

Totally OK with this 3RW-4RW combo. Physical, defensively capable young guys. Sign me up. Can get some tough minutes off of Oshie/Williams.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Galiev 26 GP 1-3-4 career
Connolly 210 GP 27-32-59 career

At the very least Connolly is an upgrade over Galiev/Latta and should be the 4RW. Best case he breaks out and gives them a cheaper scoring-line RW next season when there may be a lot of turnover at the position next summer.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
Cheap possession beast with potential upside. Good move.

0LMEAoD.png

Better than Latta as well.

gc0NlYM.png

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is a good gamble, obviously this guy is not the top 10 pick he was drafted to be.. but his cap hit is so low that if he's waived and sent to the AHL, it won't count against the cap. Up to him to make the most of his audition in camp.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Galiev 26 GP 1-3-4 career
Connolly 210 GP 27-32-59 career

At the very least Connolly is an upgrade over Galiev/Latta and should be the 4RW. Best case he breaks out and gives them a cheaper scoring-line RW next season when there may be a lot of turnover at the position next summer.

lets see. i think galiev beats connolly out for the available sweater. time will tell.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Eller > Richards
Connolly > Latta
Vrana/? - Chimera

Yes. I don't think they are done yet.

And Winnik is part of it too (he wasn't for most of last year).

Winnik = Chimera

Caps bottom 6 start of last season:
Johansson - Beagle - Wilson
Chimera - Laich - Latta

Caps bottom 6 start of this season:
Johansson - Eller - Wilson
Winnik - Beagle - Connolly

That's far improved, IMO, and costs less.

Richards came and went (swing and a miss), and the extra forwards are are still in system (upgraded by time...Vrana, Stephenson, Walker, Galiev should all be better).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Jason Chimera scored 20 goals last season.
Daniel Winnik has scored 21 goals in the last three seasons combined.

Meh. Winnik took Chimera's salary slot. Chimera got PP time. Winnik won't.

2014-15 they scored the same amt of goals (granted, Chimera out scored him 15-9 previous year). Winnik is a better PK'er, and is def slotted 4th.

I like Chimera better, don't get me wrong, but Winnik is a different player and adds different values.

What's their fancy stat comparison, since I know how much that matters to you?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You're alone in thinking that. I can't really think of any area where Galiev is superior to Connolly. Perhaps dekes.

I think the Caps have kept Galiev for a reason. I bet Galiev and Connolly play every pre season game and Galiev out performs. We will see

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Meh. Winnik took Chimera's salary slot. Chimera got PP time. Winnik won't.
Only 4 of Chimera's goals came on the PP. He had the same amount of 5on5 goals (12) as TJ Oshie, and more than Kuznetsov (11) or Johansson (10).

2014-15 they scored the same amt of goals (granted, Chimera out scored him 15-9 previous year). Winnik is a better PK'er, and is def slotted 4th.

I like Chimera better, don't get me wrong, but Winnik is a different player and adds different values.

What's their fancy stat comparison, since I know how much that matters to you?

I think Winnik is most certainly a different player, and I think he's definitely better than the 4LW alternatives currently in the system. But I don't think he's really on par with Chimera. Chimmer can play anywhere in the bottom nine, can play both special teams, and still provides some value even when he's not on the score sheet. When he is on the score sheet, he was one of the best contracts in the NHL. I fully understand moving on from him, but I don't think Winnik really replaces Chimera.

As for the possession metrics, they do not reflect kindly on Chimera. Winnik was largely neutral, despite rather tough deployments/utilization. That's a net plus for Winnik. However, much of his stats (both "fancy" and otherwise) have been in decline for the past couple years, which gives me a lot of pause. Winnik's days as a top flight defensive forward are pretty much over, IMO. At the minimum he should provide value on the PK, which is worthy of a roster spot.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Caps bottom 6 start of last season:
Johansson - Beagle - Wilson
Chimera - Laich - Latta

Caps bottom 6 start of this season:
Johansson - Eller - Wilson
Winnik - Beagle - Connolly

That's far improved, IMO, and costs

That wasn't their bottom 6 at the start of last season.

Johansson was 2LW up until Beagle went down and they needed a new 3C.

Chimera played 3LW pretty much the entire season.

And while Burakovsky got a couple starts up the lineup at the very start of the season because Backstrom was out as soon as he came back he went back to the 4th line until Beagle went down.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I would bet anything he plays over Galiev. Good gamble, excellent possession player and potential to score a bit.

Galiev has no spot on this team

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That wasn't their bottom 6 at the start of last season.

Johansson was 2LW up until Beagle went down and they needed a new 3C.

Chimera played 3LW pretty much the entire season.

And while Burakovsky got a couple starts up the lineup at the very start of the season because Backstrom was out as soon as he came back he went back to the 4th line until Beagle went down.

I corrected it in the other thread, and frankly it makes it look even better this year re: last

2015:
Chimera-Beagle-Wilson
Burakovsky-Laich-Latta

2016:
Johnasson-Eller-Wilson
Winnik-Beagle-Connolly

Even more of an improvement, frankly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad