Confirmed with Link: Brett Connolly 1 year 850k

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Right but how do they even come up with that figure??? Its baffling to me

It's based on your current cap space , the time remaining until the deadline, and the time between the deadline and the end of the season. It's a sum of the daily cap hits that can be added on the deadline day if you wanted to still be cap compliant at the end of the season.

Basically, players don't cost their full cap hit once the season starts (since a portion of their salary has already been paid). Thus the daily cap hit figures. Since there's still more days remaining until the deadline, players' effective cap hits will continue to decline between now and the deadline. They may only have $900K in absolute space, but they can add $2.5M worth of cap hit today or $4.2M worth of cap hit at the deadline.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's based on your current cap space , the time remaining until the deadline, and the time between the deadline and the end of the season. It's a sum of the daily cap hits that can be added on the deadline day if you wanted to still be cap compliant at the end of the season.

Basically, players don't cost their full cap hit once the season starts (since a portion of their salary has already been paid). Thus the daily cap hit figures.

Sorry but I don't speak Spanish....the remnants of my brain are hurting now

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think Sanford or Stephenson are sufficient as injury fill-ins in the playoffs. Neither have shown themselves to be anything more than a warm body. Vrana has more potential, but has been inconsistent (especially since getting demoted back to Hershey). Based on that, I still think they need to acquire a depth forward at the very minimum (and quite possibly one that is a regular in their top 12).

If the currently chemistry holds, Connolly is safe from being scratched. But we'll see how things evolve over the next couple months. Not adding depth because a line is clicking in January is overly optimistic. The Chimera-Johansson-Wilson 3rd line looked good around this time last year, too.

Vrbata would fit well. Can play anywhere and has skills for top 6W. PP as well. Also has a very low salary hit, so they could add him and a decent sized D salary (like 3m).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I don't think Sanford or Stephenson are sufficient as injury fill-ins in the playoffs. Neither have shown themselves to be anything more than a warm body. Vrana has more potential, but has been inconsistent (especially since getting demoted back to Hershey). Based on that, I still think they need to acquire a depth forward at the very minimum (and quite possibly one that is a regular in their top 12).

If the currently chemistry holds, Connolly is safe from being scratched. But we'll see how things evolve over the next couple months. Not adding depth because a line is clicking in January is overly optimistic. The Chimera-Johansson-Wilson 3rd line looked good around this time last year, too.

Im with Hive on this matter.

Anyone believes we can win 16 games in playoffs without single F injured? I do not.

They've been saving cap space for deadline... They will use it anyway. Even if only for 5th line PK shot blocker.

PS: Our needs are like this

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/derek-mackenzie
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/dennis-seidenberg

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Im with Hive on this matter.

Anyone believes we can win 16 games in playoffs without single F injured? I do not.

They've been saving cap space for deadline... They will use it anyway. Even if only for 5th line PK shot blocker.

PS: Our needs are like this

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/derek-mackenzie
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/dennis-seidenberg

Both FLA and NYI are on the bubble and could overtake BOS or PHIL. If they're still in striking distance at the deadline, I doubt either of those guys are available.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why is it replacing Connelly? Perhaps your boy Wilson. Of maybe Winnik. Or......you know......injuries?????

This is the Connolly discussion thread. I would think the replace Wilson talk would be in the Wilson thread. Yes, injuries will happen. Having depth is a good idea. Both at F and at D. I am thinking Connolly is earned the spot in the lineup and not the spot at depth.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
This is the Connolly discussion thread. I would think the replace Wilson talk would be in the Wilson thread. Yes, injuries will happen. Having depth is a good idea. Both at F and at D. I am thinking Connolly is earned the spot in the lineup and not the spot at depth.

They should get the best player they can, and see what happens. ASAP. No free lunches. And I think Connolly is safe as 3W. But if a top 9 gets hurt in the Loffs, I'd like a backup plan like Vrbata. To add to Vrana.

Not that insulting to the guys, and not as a statement towards any one player. Just more.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They should get the best player they can, and see what happens. ASAP. No free lunches. And I think Connolly is safe as 3W. But if a top 9 gets hurt in the Loffs, I'd like a backup plan like Vrbata. To add to Vrana.

Not that insulting to the guys, and not as a statement towards any one player. Just more.

I think trading for a Vanek or Vrbrata for depth is fine. As long as the lines continue to play as they have, that player can sit on the scratch sheet til there is an opening. Vbrata at RW in Williams spot right now is a better option than Beagle up and Stephenson in. Disrupting two lines.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I think trading for a Vanek or Vrbrata for depth is fine. As long as the lines continue to play as they have, that player can sit on the scratch sheet til there is an opening.

I don't think Vanek would work there, hence my claims for Vrbata. I'm fine with him coming in and sitting and practicing w the team. Get the odd game.

Same with a defenseman.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Connolly should get random top 6 time to close out the year. He was our deadline add, done in advance.

Although Barry may have shown his hand in moving Beagle up when Williams was out, I suspect if things continue well for BCon, he will be our playoff top 6 RW injury fill in.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think Connolly should get random top 6 time to close out the year. He was our deadline add, done in advance.

Although Barry may have shown his hand in moving Beagle up when Williams was out, I suspect if things continue well for BCon, he will be our playoff top 6 RW injury fill in.

Our 3rd line has been our most consistent line and one of our best. I think Barry moved Beagle in the top 6 mainly b/c he didn't want to break up the 3rd line.

Earlier in the season he did play Connolly in the top 6 when there was injury but now that there is so much chemistry on the 3rd line I think he wants to keep them in tact.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Our 3rd line has been our most consistent line and one of our best. I think Barry moved Beagle in the top 6 mainly b/c he didn't want to break up the 3rd line.

Earlier in the season he did play Connolly in the top 6 when there was injury but now that there is so much chemistry on the 3rd line I think he wants to keep them in tact.

Bingo. You'd like to think a guy like Vrbata would fit right in there if someone gets injured. He's a top 6W. And I love Beagle there as well.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Fair points. Butt.

But then he breaks up 4.

I think Barry moved up Beagle because the move I would want, calling up Vrana, eats cap space. Which of course also leaves 3 and 4 intact. Vrana may have not earned a callup, however. Beagle has just been his regular self, no big promo needed, no showing Ovi how to work hard etc.

The Kuz line could have some say in what is one of our best right now. As player of month... nuff said.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I think with Williams suddenly out and Beagle back in, the focus was probably on Stephenson. He's in the lineup regardless, so you put him where he'll likely be if he's a callup later in the year. He gets some continuity and a chance to build chemistry, and that gives us the most telling evaluation we're going to get in a short time.

Bouncing him around the lineup while he's here, not letting him settle anywhere and build on what he's being asked to do, would be a waste of this time with him. So rather than it causing a domino effect throughout the lineup, they just gave Beagle Williams' spot for a night and kept everything else where it was.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Played great against Montreal today. That thid line is starting to come into its own.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Connolly with a sharp looking high confidence goal last night.

He is feeling it and is sniping and making plays all over the ice.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Like him more every night. I think he can be money in playoffs despite no experience (18 games 11 points with Syracuse in 12/13)

The funny part is that he'll turn 25 this year but looks like 35, at least in my eyes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Having a guy like Connolly find he 6th overall draft position level game on that contract is just the kind of thing that wins teams cups.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
This. Cup winners often have 3-4 guys breakout/over perform for their contracts.
Reminds me of when Tampa won in 04 amongst others.

Pittsburgh last year is a good example as well. Cullen, Rust, Schultz, Murray im sure im missing a couple more. All played far beyond the level that you would expect them to play, definitely all overprformed for their contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->