Confirmed with Link: Brett Berard Signs three-year entry level contract with NYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's a big step from college to pros and he's still 20 years old with a slight build. The AHL is a league that chews and spits up a lot of prospects. So first he has to make it there. There are lots of things in his game to be excited though. He is an energy bunny kind of player. As for now and finishing off the AHL season I wouldn't get too swept up if he doesn't do a lot immediately. Next year is when we'll really begin to see how he can fit.

I also think Sykora has a similar kind of game but is just a little larger and a little better at it right now.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Nm
Apparently both Berard families are from RI
Not finding references of relation.
I got confused by a video of Bryan's nephew BrOdy;
Brett's brother, who attended NYR Prospect Camp and was frosh alongside Brett w Friars, is BrAdy. So not same kid
So no connection uncovered, yet

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The WJC I understand, but in what way do you believe he was miscast at Providence?
IMO Berard's best utilization of his attributes is when he's used in a depth roles. In both cases this past season he was asked to be more - someone who's also relied on being a (one of) primary offensive producer. And while it's great to see when our prospects are on the top line as it's an indicator of being thought of as better than his peers (or at least among his teammates) - it did put Berard in the position not best suited for him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's a big step from college to pros and he's still 20 years old with a slight build. The AHL is a league that chews and spits up a lot of prospects. So first he has to make it there. There are lots of things in his game to be excited though. He is an energy bunny kind of player. As for now and finishing off the AHL season I wouldn't get too swept up if he doesn't do a lot immediately. Next year is when we'll really begin to see how he can fit.

I also think Sykora has a similar kind of game but is just a little larger and a little better at it right now.
Agree and I'd also make a reference to Trivigno's performance this past season - who has a similar built and is known for similar attributes as Berard.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Wasn't Berard producing around a PPG prior to getting hurt? His last 10, he had 4 points, so I wonder if part of that is getting back into form when everyone else is going full throttle.

The good thing with going to Hartford now is he gets that pro experience. The AHL playoffs are a little weird, but they are 1 point out of a spot at the moment with 11 games left. He's going to need all of next year in the AHL, so I wouldn't expect him to be on the roster, but I could see a cup of coffee. Still behind Cuylle and Othmann on the prospect radar.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Correct and that is why we don't post random shit from twitter from some guy with 1000 followers.
I'll take the hit for that. It did seem click-bait-ish to me
But if there was substance behind it, I thought someone here could know.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'll take the hit for that. It did seem click-bait-ish to me
But if there was substance behind it, I thought someone here could know.
That is the issue. There is rarely substance behind these random twitter people and can cause a frenzy over something that is likely nothing more than speculation being posited as insider knowledge.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Nm
Apparently both Berard families are from RI
Not finding references of relation.
I got confused by a video of Bryan's nephew BrOdy;
Brett's brother, who attended NYR Prospect Camp and was frosh alongside Brett w Friars, is BrAdy. So not same kid
So no connection uncovered, yet
His father's name is David. He was a goalie who played a grant total of 5 games in college, but has spent many years as a coach.

1679507269252.png

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IMO Berard's best utilization of his attributes is when he's used in a depth roles. In both cases this past season he was asked to be more - someone who's also relied on being a (one of) primary offensive producer. And while it's great to see when our prospects are on the top line as it's an indicator of being thought of as better than his peers (or at least among his teammates) - it did put Berard in the position not best suited for him.
I agree that he's better as a "support" guy, but he did spend large parts of last season on the top line and PP1 and thrived there. I think the increase in responsibility this season was probably more in terms of leadership than actual on-ice usage.

Again, though--Providence really struggled in general so I'm not trying to single him out.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is Brett related to Bryan Berard by chance?

No relation.

His dad is David Berard, former Friars goalie and current director of administration. His younger brother Brady plays for the Friars now, and was invited to the Rangers PDC last summer. Their mom Lynne also played for the Friars but in field hockey.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Wouldn't rule out him having a Tyler Motte role here. I think his peak is a Carl Hagelin, Michael Grabner type player. Regardless, we need these players churned out from within the system. It has been awhile since we had that.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Hmn I remember some small guy named Zucc working out. High motor good scoring touch. any chance he can turn into that type of player?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Berard has a Callahan/Dubinsky feel with the game he plays. And we can certainly use that dynamic in the lineup moving forward. I see him topping out as a 2nd line forward at his peak, but more realistic he becomes a consistent 3rd line level production. We’ll see how he does in this transition to the Pro level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad