Confirmed with Link: Brett Berard Signs three-year entry level contract with NYR

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

bre.jpg

Welcome aboard!

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
also signed a Pack ATO for balance of this season,
Pack play 3-in-3 this weekend

Reactions: Crease

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Had a down year overall at Providence College, but the whole team seemed to have a more down year scoring wise. Also, didn't show as well at the WJC, but he is high motor player. Can be a real prick to play against, like Trivigno. Hopefully, his game elevates next year in Hartford and he has a great season.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Congrats to Brett.

Dude works his ass off.

Loved watching him in the junior tourneys. Havent seen much of him at Providence but you know hes got a motor and a shot at the NHL.

Maybe he and a few others will get a cup of coffee at the NHL level in a few weeks when the Rangers will be resting guys. Wont burn a year so why not

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think we're looking at a Tyler Motte kind of player here with maybe a little more offense. That's a valuable player to have and to have control of for at least a few years.
I want to agree but Motte tore the NCAA a new asshole in his junior year.

Now obviously offense translates from the NCAA in very sketchy unpredictable ways because of the league's culture of structure, physical play, but not much speed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He had a tough year. Disappointing WJC and a down year for Providence, although most of Providence sucked. There's a lot to love about his game and I've been really high on him since before we drafted him, so I'm eager to see him turn pro.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
No point ruminating about supposed antics unless there is some solid evidence presented, which that person seems less than willing to supply. It's hearsay from a disgruntled fan otherwise

Last edited:
Reactions: JCProdigy

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He had a tough year. Disappointing WJC and a down year for Providence, although most of Providence sucked. There's a lot to love about his game and I've been really high on him since before we drafted him, so I'm eager to see him turn pro.
I think in both cases - WJC and season in Providence - it was primarily about being miscast for the role, through no fault of his own.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Stop Vitali lol.

He is NOT the Rangers Top Prospect .

Stop Vitali lol.

I watched every televised shift of him in the WJC. He was invisible. Not Kakko invisible, but skated around and did nothing.

Reminds me of Ryan Bourque.

I do agree we lack his skill set type though. Good Motte replacement.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Stop Vitali lol.

He was voted 4th top prospect in our poll this year, it's not that off the board of a pick. Othmann is obviously the consensus, but after that I don't think anyone would find it strange to make an argument Berard could be better than Zac Jones & Will Cuylle? lol. I'm sure a lot of people would rank Berard our number 2, I am just a bit lower on Othmann and higher on Berard. Keep in mind Berard was also the youngest guy in his draft, a few days shy of being a 2021 pick.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I think 4 is fair.

I have him at 5 I believe. Def behind Othmann and Cuylle easy. I think a good debate would be with Sykora in the 4-5 range. Sykora is a year younger I think right? Or is it 2?

BMP?

Robertson and Zach I get. but I prefer to do forward prospects and D prospects separate in some comparisons.

I think 4 is fair.

I have him at 5 I believe. Def behind Othmann and Cuylle easy. I think a good debate would be with Sykora in the 4-5 range. Sykora is a year younger I think right? Or is it 2?

BMP?

Robertson and Zach I get. but I prefer to do forward prospects and D prospects separate in some comparisons.
I'm high on Othmann as a top 6 best case scenario. Top 9 worst.

Berard will never be a top 6 player in the NHL. Ever.

No clue why my phone is quoting myself here lol. Apologies

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think 4 is fair.

BMP?

I'm high on Othmann as a top 6 best case scenario. Top 9 worst.

Berard will never be a top 6 player in the NHL. Ever.

No clue why my pho e is quoting myself here lol. Apologies
About the WJC are you referring to the last one or the first one? I assume the last one, I agree he struggled mightily. But the first WJC he was legit the best player of the entire tournament IMO. Stood out every shift, and I just loved his confidence, I remember how loudly he'd slam his stick on the ice always calling for passes, he wanted the puck on his stick constantly. He would shove guys to the ice out of nowhere off of face-offs just to assert his dominance lmao. He looked like Jack Hughes with the mentality of a Tkachuk. If you go back and read those GDT's on the main board fans all around the league were fawning over Berard, he was also like the youngest guy in the tournament aside from Beniers (who Berard outplayed)

It's hard to project them because of how stacked we are, we might be grooming him for more of a bottom six role. But I could definitely see the upside because of his skating alone

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
About the WJC are you referring to the last one or the first one? I assume the last one, I agree he struggled mightily. But the first WJC he was legit the best player of the entire tournament IMO. Stood out every shift, and I just loved his confidence, I remember how loudly he'd slam his stick on the ice always calling for passes, he wanted the puck on his stick constantly. He would shove guys to the ice out of nowhere off of face-offs just to assert his dominance lmao. He looked like Jack Hughes with the mentality of a Tkachuk. If you go back and read those GDT's on the main board fans all around the league were fawning over Berard, he was also like the youngest guy in the tournament aside from Beniers (who Berard outplayed)

It's hard to project them because of how stacked we are, we might be grooming him for more of a bottom six role. But I could definitely see the upside because of his skating alone
I love Berard--just to get that out of the way.

Please do not hype him up endlessly like you did Kravtsov and make people hate him. :laugh: Just let him do his thing, you don't need to be his one man street team.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Nope, he's a great player and a beautiful Hughes-like skater. He plays with so much tempo and asserts his will onto the game. He's the exact type of player we lack

Ed… shutup.

Not because I entirely disagree, but because I like Berard and I think he has an NHL future that can be anything between Motte and Marchand but the last time you started with the “beautiful skater” “asserts his will” “I get hard when he picks up a hockey stick” crap we ended up with a 7th round pick.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Ed… shutup.

Not because I entirely disagree, but because I like Berard and I think he has an NHL future that can be anything between Motte and Marchand but the last time you started with the “beautiful skater” “asserts his will” “I get hard when he picks up a hockey stick” crap we ended up with a 7th round pick.
Okokok I will try to refrain from giving him Ed’s infamous kiss of death

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Didn’t have the kind of year you want from a prospect. Hopefully an aberration, and not something to look back on in a few years as as obvious sign he wasn’t going to pan out as an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00