Brent Burns is 19th in TOI/17th in Points. Erik Karlsson, 12th/40th.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
“That was how I learned Burns played the final 4:12 of Thursday’s game. He skated 22,437 feet, approximately one mile more than anyone else on either team (I’m tired just writing that). The Sharks had the puck in the Vegas end 43 per cent of the time. Meanwhile, the Golden Knights were in San Jose’s zone just 26 per cent of the time. Again, all of this came from the raw data.”

From this article. Burns is playing incredible lately.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Haha of course. I meant along the lines of putting shots to the net. He only had 2 that game but that doesn’t mean others didn’t register any shots at all.

I think the confusion here, which regularly occurs when people used advanced stats, is separating 5V5 from all situations. Most websites default to 5V5 so most people copy and paste stuff there.

At 5-on-5, McDavid did not attempt a single shot against San Jose. His shots on goal came on the PP.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I think the confusion here, which regularly occurs when people used advanced stats, is separating 5V5 from all situations. Most websites default to 5V5 so most people copy and paste stuff there.

At 5-on-5, McDavid did not attempt a single shot against San Jose. His shots on goal came on the PP.
Ah I see. I could have sworn I put ya at even strength, maybe it just didn’t register that. Thanks

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Karlsson/Dillon were hard-matched against McDavid/Kucherov lines and they easily won those battles. There's not a player on the Sharks defense who I would trust to stop a fast skating, skilled, player more than Karlsson.

As a Sharks fan, if I had 2 minutes to stop a goal, and the opposition had skilled players, I'd put out Karlsson 10/10 times. I'd probably even put Burns out with him.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Karlsson/Dillon were hard-matched against McDavid/Kucherov lines and they easily won those battles. There's not a player on the Sharks defense who I would trust to stop a fast skating, skilled, player more than Karlsson.

As a Sharks fan, if I had 2 minutes to stop a goal, and the opposition had skilled players, I'd put out Karlsson 10/10 times. I'd probably even put Burns out with him.

I think this should have been pretty obvious after the last 4 minutes of the game against Vegas.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In the Sharks’ last 5 games - all without Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Brent Burns has played 108 minutes at 5-on-5. In those minutes, the Sharks have allowed one goal.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Both Karlsson and Burns have been outstanding since Vlasic went down, with Burns having arguably been the better player.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Even if Karlsson ends up signing elsewhere the trade was worth it. Watching these two play almost the entire game is an absolute treat.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Even if Karlsson ends up signing elsewhere the trade was worth it. Watching these two play almost the entire game is an absolute treat.
As a hockey fan I agree

As a sharks fan, I don't want him going anywhere and may just chain him to his current locker until he signs

Reactions: Clowe Me

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Both have been great lately. Burns has really stepped up all over the ice. More responsible than i have seen him in a long time.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Both have been great lately. Burns has really stepped up all over the ice. More responsible than i have seen him in a long time.
Haha wrote this yesterday and today Burns has made one huge mistake and gave Arizona a breakaway and a goal, and an awful pinch where got a little unlucky and got scored on after that as well. These were the kind of mistakes i hadnt seen from him for a while. Still been very good lately though. Very fun to watch and he can be very dominant when he is on his game.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
That was without a doubt the worst period Burns/EK65 have played in months... and of course it happens on national television. While Burns was outright brutal, as WesMcCauley pointed out, EK65’s passing was totally off, his outlet passes landed on a Yotes stick more often than not which usually doesn’t happen at all.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yeah Karlsson and Burns are having an ugly game.

Lots of uncharacteristic plays by EK.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Karlsson must be hurt and Burns is playing like double digit minus Burns and not the player he has basically been every other game this season. Sad to watch.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
One of the worst games i have ever seen from both Burns (specially first period) and Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad