Brent Burns is 19th in TOI/17th in Points. Erik Karlsson, 12th/40th.

Sep 1, 2012
Burns is playing 24:17 minutes a night, good for 19th overall. And he's put up 49 points, tied for 17th.

Karlsson's no slouch either, and he's back to playing at a high level. He plays 35 seconds more per game, 24:52, good for 12th overall. And he has 41 points in two fewer games played, and has had at least one assist in 14 straight games.

But Burns is the most dominant player on his team by a large margin. He's more physical, possesses a much more dangerous shot, affects the game directly on both sides of the ice by back checking effectively, and can simply take over a game at will when he's at his best.

Karlsson is a far better passer, but at times kind of like a riverboat gambler, and he is simply horrendous on the back check. They are equally good at seeing the ice and bringing the puck into the zone.

I was really curious how these two players would stack up if I watched them the same amount, and at least so far, it's not close. Brent Burns is better. If Erik Karlsson can play dogged defense, I have yet to see it.

Did the people who watch a lot more hockey than me already know this?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Karlsson is stepping on the gas right now. 1+24=25 Points in 14 games. If Burns doesn't Watch out, Karlsson will pass him in Points soon. My original prediction of both Karlsson and Burns hitting 90 poits this season is looking pretty good right now. :)

Reactions: Iron Mosher

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Is that you, Burnsie? I know it’s tough to handle when you put up 14 points in 7 games from the back end and your buddy wearing 65 still gains 3 points on you in that time-frame...

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I don't know if you've heard, but apparently less TOI is a detriment to your credibility even if you do have more points.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Wow. Didn't even notice that Karlsson had turned it on this much. Yeah.... It will be close to see who finishes with more points.

Contrary to what the OP says, Karlsson is great at getting back to play defense due to superior skating. I'd definitely take Karlsson over Burns in that category. Burns' biggest advantage over Karlsson is size and general nastiness. Karlsson has better skating and overall game awareness though.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If Karlsson keeps his current pace, he’ll end above 100 PTs... as a defenseman. 25 points in the past 14 games. 30 games from now, he could be above 100 points. That’s unreal.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Karlsson has been the best defender in the world since he returned to form. Anyone watching the games can see that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Hmm, I think the take is kinda hot, but I'll have to look closer at karlssons back checking. Iirc he has been scored on several times when back checking and I notice his short stick may not be able to get all the way around the attacker to the puck, and I haven't seen him go between the legs. He also doesn't have much ability to body the attacker.

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If Karlsson keeps his current pace, he’ll end above 100 PTs... as a defenseman. 25 points in the past 14 games. 30 games from now, he could be above 100 points. That’s unreal.

Damnit, safe to say he's back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad