Brent Burns is 19th in TOI/17th in Points. Erik Karlsson, 12th/40th.

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Registered User, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Paul4587

Paul4587 Registered User

Karlsson is horrendous on the backcheck? Have you ever seen him play? I consistently see him breaking up plays on the backcheck, he’s one of the quickest in the league at getting back to help out after joining the rush.

2. Kegsey

Kegsey Defense be scared, Hertl coming.

Karlsson is the better overall player and much smarter in his own end.

3. WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca Registered User

As usual people write off great players too soon. We should have expected an adjustment period for EK moving to a new team in a new Conference. I’m not really surprised his numbers have improved. Could very well end up adding another Norris.

4. WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca Registered User

Safer to say he never left.

ReginKarlssonLehner likes this.
  5. ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner Let's Win It All

This has been the case for a few seasons now. Nothing new. Both dynamic but EK is the best d man in the world and one of the greatest ever.

flipp likes this.
  6. flipp

flipp Registered User

If Karlsson takes the Selke this year he could potentially make the top 10 D list of all time.

7. crossbownerf

crossbownerf Registered User

There is not a single defenceman in the NHL that directly or indirectly dictates games more than Karlsson.

Burns excells at backchecking? Is that a serious argument?

Burns has a better shot and is more physical (since he's bigger). Karlsson is better at everything else.

8. Pointteen

Pointteen Registered User

Is Karlsson the fastest D in the league?

Just with skating.

9. crossbownerf

He was, not sure now.

10. stampedingviking

stampedingviking Registered User

Never seen Burns be good at both ends, always seems like the best chances against are when he's on the ice.

Also, taking into account Karlsson joined a new team with new systems etc., then surely he's had more impact once up to speed?

11. stampedingviking

stampedingviking Registered User

Not allowed to say that, EK is crap now, didn't you know that?

12. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Registered Derp

Hilarious still seeing people suggest Burns is bad in his own end and EK is so much better :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Burns is just like EK in his own end. Not bad, but inconsistent at times, but when he’s on he’s a beast. While both are offensively gifted.

The fact that many of you have to tear down Burns to make EK look superior shows so much bias and lack of actually watching both on the ice. Some of you need to check your emotional attachment to players because it’s affecting your judgement hardcore.
    You can’t argue that EK does all these things and then quickly dismiss Burns being bad at back checking. He’s fine on the backcheck, your just displaying your odd obsession with EK more and more.
    how often do you actually see Burns play compared to how much you drool over EK? Again, we get it....you like EK more....doesn’t mean you have any idea of what your talking about.
    More opinions trying to be set as facts I see. Clearly just more of a fan than the other, and that’s ok. Maybe watch Burns play once in awhile, he’s been arguably the better D-man overall than EK since 2017. Been more consistent and just as good in his own end with flaws and all.

Mattb124 likes this.
  13. WesMcCauley

WesMcCauley Registered User

Lol...I have watched probably 75% of the Sharks games the last five seasons. Watched every game this season...

travis scott likes this.
  14. Mattb124

Mattb124 Registered User

Burns has been better over the course of this season, but Karlsson has been otherworldly since coming back from his suspension.

CaptainShark and GreatGonzo like this.
  15. Goldeneye

Goldeneye Winnipeg Jets

On top of that i think Burns has that man strength in stationary 1 on 1 battles EK doesn't, not that it's a big deal though. Just helps knocking guys on their asses.

EK is just more fluent out there, gets to places quicker and decision making, when confident, is also much faster.

So yeah i'd agree.

It's cool to see the best of both worlds on the same team though. EK probably the best playmaking defenseman, Burns with the best wrister.

16. crossbownerf

Never said Burns is bad at backchecking (even though he is very average at best), only that it was a pretty ridiculous example to use as something he's better at than Karl, which he clearly is not.

17. playasRus

playasRus Registered User

This is in a season when people asked "Is Karlsson even a top 15 defender?" 20 games into the season. Just to put into perspective how he catches fire.

18. Caesar Rex

Caesar Rex Et tu, Dorion

That's crazy, either you haven't been watching, don't pay attention or don't actually understand hockey.

GreatGonzo likes this.
  19. GreatGonzo

:laugh: You truly are amazing, just your abilities to filter out information in a way where you hear and read what YOU want to....

I NEVER said he was better, I scoff at the idea that he’s bad. I NEVER said Burns was better, I scoff at the idea that EK is CLEARLY better. You really need to stop rearranging the conversation in order to make it fit in your agenda because this is like the third time you have made a claim that was clearly made up by yourself.

There is no “clearly” or “AINEC” with these two. Get over yourself.
    I doubt that seeing you were most likely watching them with that rose colored bias already in mind. Burns was slightly better in 2017, had a better year in 2018, and has been more consistent this past year and now that EK has been on a spree, it’s close between them.

No sharks fan who actually doesn’t hold a bias for one or the other would actually say one is CLEARLY better, or that one “sucks” or is “bad” while the other triumphs.
    I mean that’s an odd way to dismiss a big importance in his defensive game. Being able to be a one on one D-man and size guys up, while being a good poke checker. Just because EK doesn’t do those doesn’t make him the better defenseman. They are both good defensively in their own ways, they just do it differently.

EK is the better skater and does move at a more fluent rate, while Burns is the better goal scorer, more gritty and physical. Again, Different styles that obviously have the same equal impact.

20. crossbownerf

What information did I filter out? I responded to whoever used backchecking as an example that sets Burns apart from Karlsson. It simply isn't true and even someone like you, with an obvious pro Burns bias, should be able to see that.

21. Iron Mosher

Iron Mosher Registered User

As a Sharks fan since their inception and inaugural season, and even having been at the very first game, I feel privileged to have this dynamic duo on the team. Both are different, yet awesome players.

McTusk and NyQuil like this.
  22. Anomie2029

Anomie2029 Registered User

They a both great offensive players with horrifically underrated defensive capabilities.
    However, they are two different styles of players in both these areas.

In defence, Karlsson is extremely good at breaking up plays in the neutral zone or disrupting entries into the zone. In the DZ, he uses a strong stick but is usually maintaining position around the net, but it means he can be caught flat-footed sometimes. Burns is a big physical player, and that's how he defends in the DZ. He can disrupt plays due to pressure, but it does mean he can be caught chasing and well out of position.

In offence, Karlsson has significantly better vision. He can use his skating or passes to break out effectively with possession and enter the zone. Burns is the shooter who can drive the net. He has some silky skills, but he can be picked off in the neutral zone trying to dangle through.

Both are among the best Dmen in the league and the Sharks are lucky to have them.

23. GreatGonzo

I think he’s a great back checker, and it’s argubsle. But I then you stated that he isn’t better than EK at back backchecking. Further making your while argument a contradiction. You call people wrong when they state something that EK isn’t better at while simply and blindly stating that he’s better no matter what. Besides you clearly stated “EK is better at everything else.” Which alone is still a statement that holds very little outside of your own personal preference.

EK has abilities that are better than Burns, while Burns has better abilities than EK. Yet both are very similar players, only with different styles. Your claims that EK is “better at everything else” only shows how much you don’t watch Burns and are infatuated with EK.

24. CaptainShark

CaptainShark Registered User

If Karlsson wins the Selke this season, that would involve a reverse Burns ;)

Let’s start with the Norris and go from there :thumbu:

25. Matte99

Matte99 Registered User

Two really good players. Since the trade i made the effort to watch some Sharks game and in the beginning of the season Burns was clearly better. I also find them playing quite differently for being two players that are described in the same way. Maybe its just me but EK isnt really playing that much offense as he did in Ottawa. He stays on the blue line, doesnt shoot much but he dishes the puck around to his teammates. I think he have a gear or two more to put in if needed. He seems comfy playing a rather safe game, focusing on outlet passes and keeping the play moving in the offensive zone. Burns seems much more confident with shooting and attacking the goal. He is also very good at passing the puck (great vision and skills). I think both players log a lot of ice time which means they wont put on the after burners to often (need to pace themselves a bit). When Burns do, he really looks intimidating, very fast and huge...

I really like Burns and by just looking at the play (discarding stats) I actually think he has an edge on EK so far, he is just better in the offensive zone while I found EK slightly better in defense (to my surprise).

Haven´t watched more than a handful Shark games but that´s my take. Two great players, while described similar, plays quite differently.