Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Trade Sutter, promote Gaunce.

It’s the right thing to do.
Sutter is just having a bad stretch of games. He's alright as a #3C.

Regardless of whether Gaunce is promoted, Schaller should be sent to Kalamazoo. He is the one that is pure trash. At least Granlund gave us one reasonably good season. All Schaller is good at is imitating Eriksson most nights.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Sutter is just having a bad stretch of games. He's alright as a #3C.

Regardless of whether Gaunce is promoted, Schaller should be sent to Kalamazoo. He is the one that is pure trash. At least Granlund gave us one reasonably good season. All Schaller is good at is imitating Eriksson most nights.

Sutter is ok to eat up minutes, but he's one of those players that I would explore to see how much value he has in terms of draft picks.

Reactions: Hit the post

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
e4JBbfZ.gif

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Sutter is ok to eat up minutes, but he's one of those players that I would explore to see how much value he has in terms of draft picks.

He has been awful at that as well this year.

Last year he was actually worth his contract.

I doubt there is much interest in him around the league at this point.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I’ve grown attached to Gaunce but let’s be honest he’s a dime a dozen player and it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t find a spot somewhere else. Cheap, effective fourth liners are the easiest players to find. The main issue is having 1 in house and going out and spending a premium on them. For his sake I hope he finds an opportunity somewhere cause he’s been screwed over here. He’s earned a spot based on merit.

Yeah this. Dunno how anyone can watch junk like Granlund or Schaller fumble around the ice and think the team wouldn't be better served with Gaunce playing instead of them.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Can't even begin to comprehend management decision making in deciding to sign Schaller over just keeping Gaunce. His play was good enough over the last season to maintain a spot with the Canucks.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Can't even begin to comprehend management decision making in deciding to sign Schaller over just keeping Gaunce. His play was good enough over the last season to maintain a spot with the Canucks.

Because if you are trying improve as an organization, you dont remain status quo on players like Gaunce. You attempt to upgrade.
Schaller on paper was suppose to be an upgrade. It didn't work out.

I would have been more annoyed at management if they remained status quo on Gaunce after his last season.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Because if you are trying improve as an organization, you dont remain status quo on players like Gaunce. You attempt to upgrade.

I would have been more annoyed at management if they remained status quo on Gaunce after his last season.
And he’s still on the roster why? (Schaller). Sounds like status quo to me as “on paper”, Gaunce would be a clear upgrade over Schaller right now.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

That is the problem, nobody would complain if they actually brought someone in who is better than Gaunce but no matter how hard they try the havent. Nobody is complaining that Gaunce isnt in the lineup because he is such a good player. People complain because they bring in players that are worse than Gaunce yet play ahead of him. They are just wasting assets and money.

Reactions: daddyohsix and CCF

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada

I would argue that Schaller did not present as an upgrade on paper or in reality. The upside of this was lateral at best, and by all accounts this season, the results have not even been that.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
If you made a list of the Canucks worst forwards this season, it would be tough not to put Schaller on top of that list. (Gagner ain’t on the team anymore so he doesn’t count). So why isn’t he playing for the Comets and ANYBODY (not necessarily Gaunce) up here instead? Status quo. You know you’re bad when (IMHO), Eriksson has had a better season than you.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That is the problem, nobody would complain if they actually brought someone in who is better than Gaunce but no matter how hard they try the havent. Nobody is complaining that Gaunce isnt in the lineup because he is such a good player. People complain because they bring in players that are worse than Gaunce yet play ahead of him. They are just wasting assets and money.

Sure.. I was just helping the poster comprehend the decision. Schaller was a 12g scorer and playing significant PK mins on a very good PKing team. He looked like a significant upgrade on Gaunce.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I would argue that Schaller did not present as an upgrade on paper or in reality. The upside of this was lateral at best, and by all accounts this season, the results have not even been that.
The upside was offensively.
Gaunce had been 100 gms of black hole offense. Created next to nothing. Shown no finish, playmaking, or ozone IQ at this level.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
The upside was offensively.
Gaunce had been 100 gms of black hole offense. Created next to nothing. Shown no finish, playmaking, or ozone IQ at this level.

Schaller is 4 years older than Gaunce.

When Schaller was 24 (Gaunce's current age) he had 2 points in 18 games. In fact, removing last season's stats, Schaller had career totals of 19 points in 94 games - again, all at an older age than Gaunce.

I hardly think that is any indication of a player with offensive upside.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Sure.. I was just helping the poster comprehend the decision. Schaller was a 12g scorer and playing significant PK mins on a very good PKing team. He looked like a significant upgrade on Gaunce.

Even then, why make that a priority when there more glaring holes on the team? For some reason their main objective was to overhaul the bottom 6 which actually wasnt too bad last year when they should have focused on this atrocious defense.

Having a Gaunce as 4th liner would have been perfectly fine there was just nothing to win when replacing him with another overprized UFA 4th liner. It is the whole idea behind this that was stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad