Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He was 26th overall and has played 117 NHL games so far. Pretty liberal use of the term 'bust' since he never had lofty expectations to begin with. That draft year was also garbage, look at the players selected around Gaunce, outside of Skjei and Pearson there's a whole lot of 'meh':

124BostonMalcolm SubbanGBelleville Bulls [OHL]3400042018-19
125St. LouisJordan SchmaltzDGreen Bay Gamblers [USHL]42055122018-19
126VancouverBrendan GaunceCBelleville Bulls [OHL]1176915452018-19
127PhoenixHenrik SamuelssonCEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]300022014-15
128NY RangersBrady SkjeiDU.S. National Development Team [USHL]2241266781072018-19
129New JerseyStefan MatteauCU.S. National Development Team [USHL]64347272017-18
130Los AngelesTanner PearsonLBarrie Colts [OHL]3677880158942018-19
Round 2
RoundNum.Drafted ByPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIMLast Season
231ColumbusOscar DanskGBrynas IF Gavle [SEL]400002017-18
232EdmontonMitch MorozLEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]
233MontrealSebastian CollbergRFrolunda HC [SEL]
234NY IslandersVille PokkaDKarpat [SM-liiga]
235TorontoMatt FinnDGuelph Storm [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Gaunce was liked because he seemed like a good kid, had good positional play and defensive awareness, and seemed very determined to improve. I hope he gets another crack at the NHL when injuries arise.

Exactly. Well said.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Camel-Carrying-Straw.jpg

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I will die on the hill that he was a better option that a lot of the bottom six players they heavily used.

He will be a good 4C on a team with strong center depth.
You are willing to die defending your stance that Gaunce is better than some of the scraps the Canucks employ? Powerful stuff. Gaunce touched a lot of Canuck fans

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You are willing to die defending your stance that Gaunce is better than some of the scraps the Canucks employ? Powerful stuff. Gaunce touched a lot of Canuck fans
That says more about the quality of **** that Barney Fife has assembled on the team more than the so-called "quality" of Gaunce that one can make a legitimate argument in his favor.

It's like saying Dave Nonis is a better GM than Jim Benning; it doesn't mean the former is/was a good GM. Just reflective on how "good" Benning is.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
That says more about the quality of **** that Barney Fife has assembled on the team more than the so-called "quality" of Gaunce that one can make a legitimate argument in his favor.
Absolutely. I just find it hilarious anyone cares about Gaunce. I’m thrilled he is gone so I don’t have to hear about him anymore. The fact he has a thread makes me depressed to be a Canucks fan

Reactions: Hit the post

Nov 1, 2011
Stupid. Solid bubble guy who is good in the AHL and not a disaster if he gets called up to the NHL.

Lose him on waivers rather than for not extending a QO.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He should be an example to others of a successful AHL graduation. Do what is asked, work hard, be patient, produce... but alas, Gaunce's culture carrying is wasted here. Wish him the best as a 4th liner in an astute organization.
Funny that he has cleared waivers multiple times but you guys think he is going to have a stellar career with an “astute” organization. He is done as an NHL player

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Funny that he has cleared waivers multiple times but you guys think he is going to have a stellar career with an “astute” organization. He is done as an NHL player
Likely a two way deal with some other team. Get a fresh start.

If his Utica coach in green won’t give him a shot here he’s done with the Canucks. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
He should be an example to others of a successful AHL graduation. Do what is asked, work hard, be patient, produce... but alas, Gaunce's culture carrying is wasted here. Wish him the best as a 4th liner in an astute organization.

Yeah,he’ll likely end up signed by a team with an internal cap who have to make smart decisions with their payroll.
Arizona or Anaheim are likely destinations,maybe Carolina if he goes east.

Hope he finds a good spot wherever he ends up.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Excellent. Benning's 7 year master plan is almost complete.

He only needs to find a way to get rid of Hutton, Horvat, Markstrom and Tanev.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Happy for Gaunce tbh.

Could see AV bringing him in as a fourth liner for Philly. They never had any meaningful overlap in their time on the Canucks, but AV probably followed his career somewhat.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This is absolutely a bad move if we are planning to keep trash like Schaller Granlund etc.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It’s no different than how a few of us - for years - took endless amounts of crap for saying that Biega was better than Sbisa/Pouliot/Gudbranson and the like. And now pretty much everyone agrees on that because he got an opportunity.

Difference is that Biega won over the dinosaurs here by getting in a fight when a Sedin was hit (contract extension almost immediately) and got more opportunity behind our permanently injured defense than Gaunce did behind a forward group loaded with pet Benning acquisitions like Schaller who Gaunce easily outplayed but was given no opportunity to displace.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It should also be noted that - even if you think Gaunce sucks as an NHLer and belonged in Utica - he was unequivocally Utica’s best all-around forward and releasing this player they could have qualified creates yet another hole needing to be filled in their painfully thin forward group.

The team’s 2nd best forward Tanner Kero is also an UFA. Things might get worse before they get better down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad