Player Discussion Brendan Smith

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Two possibilities:

A) We win and he doesn't go back in.

or

B) We lose and he plays Friday at which time he will get a shot to PROVE that he belongs on the ice not in a suit

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Isn't that worse? That means he has no excuse for playing as horrifically as he was.

At least partying a bit too much over the off season and being out of shape is a fixable issue.

If he just sucks now that he signed a hefty contract that's a MUCH bigger issue.
Either way, it is time to find out. I am all about accountability and being benched or scratched for poor play. But it has gone one long enough.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Again, how does he get into game shape if he isn't playing any games? Skating as the extra D with a forward doesn't cut it,I don't care how hard you skate in practice, that can't simulate a game environment.

If the conditioning is that much of an issue they should have sent him the the A for a conditioning stint.Play back into game shape by playing.

They ate $4 million plus in cap space to keep him and now we have Coach Accountability benching the guy for 6 straight.Coach Accountability kept running Spicoli out there last year despite him looking like he spent the summer doing bong rips and eating icecream and people here were coming unglued by the leash he got.

Talk of trading the guy is laughable, who is going to take him without NYR retaining? AV has deftly made his trade value practically nothing at this point.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Again, how does he get into game shape if he isn't playing any games? Skating as the extra D with a forward doesn't cut it,I don't care how hard you skate in practice, that can't simulate a game environment.

If the conditioning is that much of an issue they should have sent him the the A for a conditioning stint.Play back into game shape by playing.

They ate $4 million plus in cap space to keep him and now we have Coach Accountability benching the guy for 6 straight.Coach Accountability kept running Spicoli out there last year despite him looking like he spent the summer doing bong rips and eating icecream and people here were coming unglued by the leash he got.

Talk of trading the guy is laughable, who is going to take him without NYR retaining? AV has deftly made his trade value practically nothing at this point.

AV sat the guy - the Rangers have won 6 games in a row, but he still gets blasted for potentially ruining Smith's trade value. I got news for you - up to this point, Smith has ruined just about everything surrounding his career. He will get in and have a chance to redeem himself, but the bitching about it in the midst of a 6 game winning streak encapsulates these boards and their attitude towards the coach beautifully.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If they are going to try and get out of his contract by trading him, they probably have tanked most of his value, but his play also factored into that

No one is taking his contract straight up when they know he hasn't been good, and that he is in AVs doghouse

Once you go in, you don't come out

Also AV sucks, just a daily reminder

Reactions: torirose1998

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If they are going to try and get out of his contract by trading him, they probably have tanked most of his value, but his play also factored into that

No one is taking his contract straight up when they know he hasn't been good, and that he is in AVs doghouse

Once you go in, you don't come out

Also AV sucks, just a daily reminder

How have the Rangers tanked his value? At what point is the accountability strictly on the player? There is no better example than this one, yet you still somehow cant comprehend it.

Reactions: egelband

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
AV sat the guy - the Rangers have won 6 games in a row, but he still gets blasted for potentially ruining Smith's trade value. I got news for you - up to this point, Smith has ruined just about everything surrounding his career. He will get in and have a chance to redeem himself, but the *****ing about it in the midst of a 6 game winning streak encapsulates these boards and their attitude towards the coach beautifully.
You can simultaneously be happy with the 6-game win streak while also believing that the coach is not icing an optimal lineup. Plus, considering this six-game win streak is built off of a hot power play and good goaltending, I'm not entirely certain how much Kampfer is contributing to these wins aside from being dressed and in the lineup. I always have a hard time attributing wins to any one player being in or out of the lineup.

Further, it's likely in the best interests of the Rangers, for themselves in every possible way, to get Smith in the lineup and back to where he should be. Is Kampfer over Smith a long-term lineup decision? Is that going to happen during the playoff push or in the playoffs? I can't say it's what I want.

Re-reading the Smith re-sign thread is fun, though, considering what's happened in one month of games since.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
How have the Rangers tanked his value? At what point is the accountability strictly on the player? There is no better example than this one, yet you still somehow cant comprehend it.
Thank you for pointing out what I can and cannot comprehend

Go take a nap or something haha

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You can simultaneously be happy with the 6-game win streak while also believing that the coach is not icing an optimal lineup. Plus, considering this six-game win streak is built off of a hot power play and good goaltending, I'm not entirely certain how much Kampfer is contributing to these wins aside from being dressed and in the lineup. I always have a hard time attributing wins to any one player being in or out of the lineup.

Further, it's likely in the best interests of the Rangers, for themselves in every possible way, to get Smith in the lineup and back to where he should be. Is Kampfer over Smith a long-term lineup decision? Is that going to happen during the playoff push or in the playoffs? I can't say it's what I want.

Re-reading the Smith re-sign thread is fun, though, considering what's happened in one month of games since.
I don't see how a guy who has played horrific hockey in Sept and Oct has anything to do with a potential" playoff berth 5 months from now.

The guy has been AWFUL and will get back in and when he does he can put up or shut up. He brought this on himself... this isn't AV singling out anyone. Deserved to be watching and soon he'll have to prove otherwise.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Jeff Gorton deserves just as much if not more blame for this. Who makes the roster is ultimately his decision. He could tell AV "No, Kampfer and Tanner Glass aren't making the cut." Instead, all he does is enable AV to make dumb decision after dumb decision. Even if Smith is out of shape and not worthy of playing, ADA, Graves, and Poink should all be playing over Kampfer.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Smith has been overt garbage on the ice, and quite clearly didn't think it'd be too important to take care of himself over the summer after signing a big deal. When you've got a roster with 23 guys on it, the "optimal lineup" changes quite often. Under normal circumstances, Brendan Smith is a better hockey player than Kampfer. These aren't normal circumstances, and theres nobody to blame here but Smith.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Smith has been overt garbage on the ice, and quite clearly didn't think it'd be too important to take care of himself over the summer after signing a big deal. When you've got a roster with 23 guys on it, the "optimal lineup" changes quite often. Under normal circumstances, Brendan Smith is a better hockey player than Kampfer. These aren't normal circumstances, and theres nobody to blame here but Smith.

You are absolutely right about Smith. My problem is Kampfer playing over the likes of ADA, Graves, and Poink. All three are more worthy than Kampfer.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You are absolutely right about Smith. My problem is Kampfer playing over the likes of ADA, Graves, and Poink. All three are more worthy than Kampfer.

Well, thats a more legitimate argument, but out of those 4 guys, Kampfer is the most likely to supply the grit that Smith is supposed to be providing and did late last season. The NHL continues to barrel in the direction of a more uniform blue line in terms of a skill set, but its still important to have a physical guy back there.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's one of the few guys that's adept at moving bodies out of the crease. Could have been useful last night in more than a few instances.

Reactions: Machinehead

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AV sat the guy - the Rangers have won 6 games in a row, but he still gets blasted for potentially ruining Smith's trade value. I got news for you - up to this point, Smith has ruined just about everything surrounding his career. He will get in and have a chance to redeem himself, but the *****ing about it in the midst of a 6 game winning streak encapsulates these boards and their attitude towards the coach beautifully.
Benching a starter for 6 games is not exactly the norm. Especially when it comes to the replacement. Waiver wire players will eventually play to their own level.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The guy has been AWFUL and will get back in and when he does he can put up or shut up. He brought this on himself... this isn't AV singling out anyone. Deserved to be watching and soon he'll have to prove otherwise.
Your point is solid. He has brought it on himself. However, benching a starter that you have just signed for 6 consecutive games seems a bit punitive. I do not recall seeing something similar anywhere else.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Let him get another game now and play with a sense of urgency.

If he messes up, then its back on the bench.

It doesn't matter to me how much he's getting paid if there are better performers.

For the first time in AV's tenure there is a merit based distribution of ice time with the back end.

Just because its not affecting a whipping boy shouldn't deter the progress that the coach made.

If the forward depth was there, I'd like to see this implemented with their ranks.

Smitty's got to play a tough simple game without turnovers, if he brings that to the table then its his spot to lose.

I for one would like to see if they'll scratch Staal. That's a big step imo to make sure guys are playing up to the new par.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad