Player Discussion Brendan Smith

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Really wasn't sold on the Smith signing mostly due to his cap hit and unfortunately it seems like we should have listened to Red Wings fans. We were lucky to acquire Smith when we did but I don't think we can expect to see that level of play from him anytime soon. The scary part now is that we have a 4.35 million dollar defenseman sitting on the bench and we have a bunch of RFAs to resign.

It is scary getting that kind of a cap hit with someone who isn't even helping the team out right now, but what we saw in the playoffs couldn't be a fluke. He was a beast. Combination of the nastiness and toughness of jeff beukaboom but with skill and good skating ability.
Not excusing it at all, but maybe during regular season he has these stretches where he looks disinterested and makes lots of mistakes? Hopefully he did come in to this season out of shape but that part is fixable.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s still too early, but no doubts that he was out of shape beginning of this season. And I think it`s too easy to blame his wedding, but some guys mentioned he has a history to not perform after he has signed a contract with *Detroit Red Wings earlier in another forum section here - so who knows what is going on. It`s a modified contract as well. :shakehead
:)

Last edited:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It`s still too early, but no doubts that he was out of shape beginning of this season. And I think it`s too easy to blame his wedding, but some guys mentioned he has a history to not perform after he has signed a contract with Devils earlier in another forum section here - so who knows what is going on. It`s a modified contract as well. :shakehead
:)

Devils?

Reactions: Ori

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We need to get him back out there soon. Put him out there with Staal. Limit the minutes if we have to. He's a good player when he's right and we need to get him back to that level. If we can get the Smith from past season back into the lineup the defense becomes considerably stronger.

Reactions: torirose1998

torirose1998

Oct 31, 2017
New York, New York
What is this..the 6th or 7th game he's been scratched in a row ? Its getting ridiculous. You don't keep benching a decent defensemen that we legit just gave a new contract to over the summer for 4 years, $17.4 mil.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks wrote Smith could have gotten more as a free agent. His agent was quoted in the article. Did the agent tell Brooks? Maybe the Rangers could trade Smith to one of those teams. Smith does not sound happy with the situation.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Hard to get the guy back in there when the teams winning, so I don't really blame AV for not forcing him into the lineup. Holden looked pretty bad last night if he has another shaky game I wouldn't mind bumping him to work Smith back in.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
the Staal-Shattenkirk pairing looks fine.

If Smith can get back into shape the only logical place for him is on the top pairing. Sucks but that's where he's going to have to play.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
the Staal-Shattenkirk pairing looks fine.

If Smith can get back into shape the only logical place for him is on the top pairing. Sucks but that's where he's going to have to play.
shattenkirk has been playing with skjei not staal i believe but then again i could tell last night that the d lines are all jumbled right now and multiple pairs were being thrown out there last night

in an ideal world id be ok with smith playing with mcd

mcd-smith
skjei-shattenkirk
staal-holden/deangelo(when he gets called up)/kampfer

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Brooks wrote Smith could have gotten more as a free agent. His agent was quoted in the article. Did the agent tell Brooks? Maybe the Rangers could trade Smith to one of those teams. Smith does not sound happy with the situation.
nobody craps on AV more than me..but i have zero issues with Smith being benched..he's SUCKED.

I just dont care for Kampfer or Holden. Id rather have ADA/Pionk/Graves play with 1 of the 2 former.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Shattenkirk has been with Skjei primarily, but I also saw the D pairings get mixed around. Staal has been with Kampfer, who has been fine as far as I'm concerned.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
A lot of this hinges on him being out of shape or not.

IF He came to camp not ready then I think AV has the right to keep him out of the lineup until he is ready. His play to this point has been pretty horrific. Now, Kampfer and Holden aren't much (if any) better but if they're in shape and he isn't there's not much to dispute.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Smith was brutal early on and needed to work on his conditioning. I didn't have a problem with him taking a seat.

That said, Smith could have lost one of his legs over the summer and he'd still be a better play than Holden and Kampfer. At some point he has to be allowed to play to get his game back.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Playoff hockey (end of the season) is typically played a lot tighter than during the regular season. I actually think this benefits a guy like Smith to be more physical and not get lost on the rink, especially in AV's system. From years of watching him on the Wings, he's always frustrated me with his inconsistent play and I don't mean in the sense that he'll disappear on you, I'm talking about looking like a solid #4 and looking like he shouldn't be on the team.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Smith was brutal early on and needed to work on his conditioning. I didn't have a problem with him taking a seat.

That said, Smith could have lost one of his legs over the summer and he'd still be a better play than Holden and Kampfer. At some point he has to be allowed to play to get his game back.

What if, by freak of nature, he lost both his legs? Would he still play better than Holden and Kampfer?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
As bad as he has been he still hasnt been as bad as Holden and not even as close to as bad as Kampfer. Even as a 7th Kampfer is bad. Smith should 100% be playing. AV is the f***ing worst and I will celebrate when he is relieved of his duties.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Please detail how Kampfer is bad. Aside from going to his Corsi. Use specific plays as examples. I guess drawing a retaliatory penalty after a solid hit that resulted in a power play goal against CBJ is bad? Or stopping a 2-on-1 in the Lightning game is bad? I guess that pass to Buch for what could've been his second goal, as he had Rask beat but McAvoy got his stick in to save the goal, is bad too. Is he bad because he's holding up a roster spot of your favorite player on the team or down at the farm? Give me some basis to work with instead of saying Kampfer sucks because it's a popular thing to say.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Wings fan who would just like to add some context on something that concerned me.

Brendan Smith has always struck me as a quintessential “all the tools, no toolbox player”. I am not surprised at all to see a slow start from him, he did it with Detroit annually, but I AM surprised at him supposedly not doing his best effort in terms of both fitness and self evaluation. Smith’s gifts bave always beem his physical tools, and while I haven’t watched him this year, I can only imagine how bad he looks without what was always his saving grace.

With that being said, there was some truth in the type of play you saw post trade deadline. Smith is the type of player who goes into the next gear come playoff time, always has. I am still incredibly relieved we didn’t re sign him, he’s worth 2.5 max imo, but I do hope he can rebound with you guys.

Smith’s game has always had warts, but when he does play well, he’s an x factor and plays like a legit top 4 guy with snarl. I think he’ll find his groove come April, as he always does. There are many things Smith lacks, but his compete level was never one of them. I’d chalk up him being pedestrian as a fitness thing that should be resolved shortly. The contract is still bad, but he is an NHL player

Please excuse typos btw, broken iphone screen lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad