Player Discussion Brendan Smith

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I too liked what I saw from Smith in the playoffs but Rangers are now 6-1 with Kampfer in the lineup, presumably with Smith as a scratch for most of those.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Signing a guy to the contract Smith got with the hope that he magically turns it on in the playoffs is foolish, and I hope Gorton didn't factor that in to signing him. It's a nice soundbite, but if a guy is only going to bring his best in the playoffs, which I haven't seen evidence Smith does, he's not worth signing.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Wings fan who would just like to add some context on something that concerned me.

Brendan Smith has always struck me as a quintessential “all the tools, no toolbox player”. I am not surprised at all to see a slow start from him, he did it with Detroit annually, but I AM surprised at him supposedly not doing his best effort in terms of both fitness and self evaluation. Smith’s gifts bave always beem his physical tools, and while I haven’t watched him this year, I can only imagine how bad he looks without what was always his saving grace.

With that being said, there was some truth in the type of play you saw post trade deadline. Smith is the type of player who goes into the next gear come playoff time, always has. I am still incredibly relieved we didn’t re sign him, he’s worth 2.5 max imo, but I do hope he can rebound with you guys.

Smith’s game has always had warts, but when he does play well, he’s an x factor and plays like a legit top 4 guy with snarl. I think he’ll find his groove come April, as he always does. There are many things Smith lacks, but his compete level was never one of them. I’d chalk up him being pedestrian as a fitness thing that should be resolved shortly. The contract is still bad, but he is an NHL player

Please excuse typos btw, broken iphone screen lol
Yes, I have no doubt Smitty can play himself out of it as long as he gets a shot. He should be back in before too long.

Reactions: trilobyte

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
probably coming close to the point where you have to let him play back into form.

he started the season as absolute garbage and deserved his scratches, though.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Whatever the reason for his garbage play, he appears to be on AVs shit list now

Interested to see how they handle it. No clue what he brings back in a trade if they go down that route

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
nobody hates AVs guts more than me..but i full stand behind him on this one...Smith deserves this..he's been awful.

I preach accountability...its warranted.

With that said, I think their are better options than Holden and Kampfer, but that's neither here nor there.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nobody hates AVs guts more than me..but i full stand behind him on this one...Smith deserves this..he's been awful.

With that said, I think their are better options than Holden and Kampfer, but that's neither here nor there.
I do not disagree that he should have been benched. But not to dress him for a 6th consecutive game? I think it is safe to say he got the message. Are we really saying that the team is better with Holden and Kampfer? That cannot be. I am all for accountability, but this is now getting a bit absurd.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I do not disagree that he should have been benched. But not to dress him for a 6th consecutive game? I think it is safe to say he got the message. Are we really saying that the team is better with Holden and Kampfer? That cannot be. I am all for accountability, but this is now getting a bit absurd.

This team has won 6 straight, and while it's a team-effort it certainly doesn't point to a clear reason to give Smith his spot on the team back. He needs to prove himself in practice and from the reports and him being a healthy scratch we can assume he hasn't yet. Unless someone has followed practice and can honestly say Smith is better than Kampfer, we can't just assume Smith deserves to be back on the team

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
the team is winning and playing relatively well. I really dont have a problem with this...message is sent..but you cant flip the switch either and put him back in if the other guys arent just brutally bad.

Kampfer and Holden havent been great, but even at their worst during this winning streak they've been better than Smith has been this season.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
How is the guy expected to round into game shape if the smartest mind in hockey never lets him play? If they had let him walk as a FA people on this board would have been going sideways.

This is like McIlrath redux....scratched for eleventeen games, throw him in, watch him flounder,scratch for another eleventeen games.
Promptly throw under bus in media and voila,a Vigneault special.

All that is missing is throwing him out there as a LW FFS...or a comment about "How at this time _____ is a better defensive defenseman".

Waste of picks bringing him in,now wasted money sitting in pressbox so AV can mancrush on an AHL retread.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
This team has won 6 straight, and while it's a team-effort it certainly doesn't point to a clear reason to give Smith his spot on the team back. He needs to prove himself in practice and from the reports and him being a healthy scratch we can assume he hasn't yet. Unless someone has followed practice and can honestly say Smith is better than Kampfer, we can't just assume Smith deserves to be back on the team

He's got $4.35 million reasons to be on the team.They didn't give him that contract so Alan Vigno could play musical defensemen for the first ten games of the season and exile him to the pressbox for Steve Friggin' Kampfer.

Should've let him go in free agency during the summer.This is asinine asset management.

Reactions: torirose1998

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Agreed. If it is true Smith approached the next training camp with a beer gut and hadn't take the off-season seriously - at all, then WTF? He should be scolded to no end. He is paid millions to be a professional hockey player and if he doesn't think that is to be taken seriously, he can sit and rot.

I'm very disappointed in Smith. It's not 1967, it's 2017. Smith didn't get the memo.

ANY player that doesn't understand their privilege of earning millions from playing hockey should just be thrown off the bus. If they can't take the regime, just retire already.

If it is true Smith entered training camp totally out of shape, NYR should just be able to cancel his contract and throw him out.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
How is the guy expected to round into game shape if the smartest mind in hockey never lets him play? If they had let him walk as a FA people on this board would have been going sideways.

This is like McIlrath redux....scratched for eleventeen games, throw him in, watch him flounder,scratch for another eleventeen games.
Promptly throw under bus in media and voila,a Vigneault special.

All that is missing is throwing him out there as a LW FFS...or a comment about "How at this time _____ is a better defensive defenseman".

Waste of picks bringing him in,now wasted money sitting in pressbox so AV can mancrush on an AHL retread.

This is a bit over-dramatic isn't it? Nothing even close to McIlrath

He's scratched because he came into the season completely unprepared and by many accounts completely OUT OF SHAPE

He will get another chance, probably as early as Friday. If he plays well I don't think he'll be benched for another "eleventeen" games. IF however he plays the way he did prior to this benching, he will and deservedly so.

There's no one to blame for Smith being outplayed by Holden and Kampfer other than SMITH.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
He's scratched because he came into the season completely unprepared and by many accounts completely OUT OF SHAPE

Is there any actual confirmation that this is what occurred? It's not that I don't believe it (it explains a lot), it's just that it's hard to find any reporting on it anywhere; there's a lot of 'didn't so-and-so say?", but that's about it.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Is there any actual confirmation that this is what occurred? It's not that I don't believe it (it explains a lot), it's just that it's hard to find any reporting on it anywhere; there's a lot of 'didn't so-and-so say?", but that's about it.
Yeah I dunno... that's why I said many accounts.

I have yet to see the NYR in person this year (live in FL and missed the Tampa game because of work) so I can't say.

Either way he lost his spot and will certainly have a chance to get it back... but has no one to blame but himself for sitting.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Dave Maloney said something about it but I'm not even sure if he was reporting a fact or just commenting on the busy summer Smith had and that it may have lead to him struggling.

If he was totally and horribly out of shape I find it hard to believe he would have started the season in the lineup.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Dave Maloney said something about it but I'm not even sure if he was reporting a fact or just commenting on the busy summer Smith had and that it may have lead to him struggling.

If he was totally and horribly out of shape I find it hard to believe he would have started the season in the lineup.
Isn't that worse? That means he has no excuse for playing as horrifically as he was.

At least partying a bit too much over the off season and being out of shape is a fixable issue.

If he just sucks now that he signed a hefty contract that's a MUCH bigger issue.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Isn't that worse? That means he has no excuse for playing as horrifically as he was.

At least partying a bit too much over the off season and being out of shape is a fixable issue.

If he just sucks now that he signed a hefty contract that's a MUCH bigger issue.

I'm not a fan of that contract, and wasn't at the time he signed it (should have been a Klein type amount), and there aren't many excuses for how horribly he or anyone else played in the first dozen games; but I can't see how he's going to consistently be worse than Holden/Kampfer, nor how he's going to get into 'game shape' (assuming that is the issue) when he doesn't get the chance to play any games.

Either you put him back in the lineup and suck it up for a few games until he's back in the flow, or you work like hell to move him because he's clearly not what you thought you were getting when you signed him to that contract

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's got $4.35 million reasons to be on the team.They didn't give him that contract so Alan Vigno could play musical defensemen for the first ten games of the season and exile him to the pressbox for Steve Friggin' Kampfer.

Should've let him go in free agency during the summer.This is asinine asset management.

That line of thinking makes no sense. I guess we need to send down Skjei, because his salary is so low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad