TSN: Brendan Shanahan named President of Toronto Maple Leafs

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I'll believe him if he says

If we make the playoffs in the next three years it will be a fluke, the present roster and our farm system just won't allow us that luxury. I'm not going to tell you were going to win now and in the future that would just be a lie. That's been preached around here for years now and it's just a Bold Faced Lie, I'm not going there and insult the fans intelligence with those kind of remarks, although many out there can swallow any thing as long as you put a Maple Leaf logo on your appal. So some of our fans are going to have to increase their Hockey IQ to be on board with my thinking.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

Here is Brendan Shanahan Hockey Hall of Fame induction speech from December 4, 2013.

In my opinion, Brendan Shanahan is a very humble, grounded, and extremely modest individual who is very successful.

I am very confident that Brendan Shanahan will eventually transform the Maple Leafs into a legitimate Stanley Cup contender over time and make every single Toronto Maple Leafs fan proud even though he currently lacks NHL management experience.

Brendan Shanahan will succeed where others have failed.

Here is a picture of Brendan Shanahan's wife Catherine with their kids.

QQKEDqO.jpg

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If we make the playoffs in the next three years it will be a fluke, the present roster and our farm system just won't allow us that luxury. I'm not going to tell you were going to win now and in the future that would just be a lie. That's been preached around here for years now and it's just a Bold Faced Lie, I'm not going there and insult the fans intelligence with those kind of remarks, although many out there can swallow any thing as long as you put a Maple Leaf logo on your appal. So some of our fans are going to have to increase their Hockey IQ to be on board with my thinking.

Is this Shanahan's speech or yours when you become GM of the Leafs? :sarcasm::laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm not expecting much. Even if he fully intends to fire everyone and rebuild from scratch, we're not going to hear it as such today. It'll take until a couple weeks into July to get any kind of read on what's happening.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
More important than the actual hiring is whether this is an indicator of Tim Leiweke FINALLY turning his attention to the Toronto Maple Leafs after almost a year of being here and tinkering with the Raptors and TFC?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If we want this franchise to get better, it's going to have to start with change from somewhere. How about we criticize Shanahan for his own mistakes and failures as they happen rather than put decades of previous burdens on his head? Either this will work or it won't. If it doesn't work, I hope some of you don't fool yourselves into thinking that extreme cynicism before the man has had a day on the job will make you look like a genius later down the road.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Please, please, please. This franchise is overdue for some good fortune.

they had great fortune his name was tukka rask.

they had great fortune in their sights when they could have drafted 2nd overall and god knows the years after with no kessel around.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
More important than the actual hiring is whether this is an indicator of Tim Leiweke FINALLY turning his attention to the Toronto Maple Leafs after almost a year of being here and tinkering with the Raptors and TFC?

Lets hope he can have the same success with the Leafs that he has had with the other teams. He's certainly brought in the proper people with the Raptors and TFC.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

AMAZING

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Shanahan > you

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I was thinking about Shanahan the player today. All summer long I am going to post YouTube videos of his playing career. People can see what he used to bring and what kind of player we desperately need.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It could be a decent move. The job doesn't really require a tremendous amount of front office experience, provided he stays out of the GM's way, it is more setting the tone of the organization from the top.

This being a rouse to appease the fans is what concerns me. Vancouver just hired Linden in similar circumstances, a day prior to the renewal of season tickets were due. The big name of Shannahan should not be allowed to cloud the fact that management and coaching for this team have been a disaster for the better part of a decade. It should not buy Nonis or Carlyle anymore time. Keep the heat on.

It's always nice to not look like a total idiot in hindsight.

Also... LOL Vancouver. That Linden hire did not work out well at all.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Quite interesting to see TWS praise the hiring. Of course, most seemed to be skeptics at that point, so it makes some twisted sense that he was a fan then.

I doubt he was ever a fan at all. It was probably all pretend. You and I would never waste our lives like that, but he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad