TSN: Brendan Shanahan named President of Toronto Maple Leafs

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
good changes need to happen
next is hextal to be brought in as GM, and hopefully builds through the draft. Liewikie watched Lombardi draft in the top 5 year in year out for a long time in LA and knows thats how u build winners, first thing he did was trade vets for picks. Hopefully that is what we do.

They aren't bringing in strong willed people who stick to their beliefs. They are getting rid of them and replacing them with yes men/fall guys.

Bluejaysfan*

Am I the only one who thinks Shanahan and Clarkson look alike?...

Clarkson benefits from this the most because he wont be suspended as much.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
lmao it's exactly what we need.

Reading the article the last time we hired a guy with a big name and little experience we made it to the conference finals twice, his name was Ken Dryden.

All we've been doing is hiring overexperienced guys who make terrible decisions, we need a new culture in this organization, too many of the same personnel have been making decisions during the post-lockout era(2005-)

so lets get back ken dryden and patty quinn... gotta be better than trader cliff

Bluejaysfan*

They aren't bringing in strong willed people who stick to their beliefs. They are getting rid of them and replacing them with yes men/fall guys.

The same strong-willed people that signed Clarkson to that deal of his?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't forget, it's mainly because of TL that the Leafs acquired Bernier. Without him, we're still stuck with Reimer and his rebound control.

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013
How soon till Nonis out on his fat ass?

images

Soon

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hopefully this leads to an end of season house cleaning . Nonis-Loiselle-Poulin-RC should all be starting to pack there bags . Keep Morrison until the draft and then replace him as well .

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

Not saying that I necessarily disagree/agree with you but I would like to see some evidence to support that statement.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Lafontaine, Linden, Shanahan---bread and circuses when the teams need a surgeon and reconstruction expert.....

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I dont care for this move much.
Shanny has no experience in the field of running a team or ties to the franchise.

Its a name to appease the fans.

If he has no ties to the franchise; how is it a name to appease the fans?

This isn't like Vancouver bringing in Linden...

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Hopefully this leads to an end of season house cleaning . Nonis-Loiselle-Poulin-RC should all be starting to pack there bags . Keep Morrison until the draft and then replace him as well .

i'd rather use bob mckenzies draft rankings than have morrison draft again

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Shanny has no experience in the field of running a team or ties to the franchise.

This is a move for those guys who barely pay attention to the team and just heard of Shanahan before cause he played in the NHL. The only thing I will say is that at least Shanahan has made some good connections, and hopefully he will be able to tell what types of players will get suspended and which players won't.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The last time we had any success was when our president was a big name, a winner, and HOFer, but with little experience (Ken Dryden).

lmao it's exactly what we need.

Reading the article the last time we hired a guy with a big name and little experience we made it to the conference finals twice, his name was Ken Dryden.

All we've been doing is hiring overexperienced guys who make terrible decisions, we need a new culture in this organization, too many of the same personnel have been making decisions during the post-lockout era(2005-)

Dryden was hired in a much different era. It was pre salary cap and the Leafs could just out spend their problems. Turning the team around now will be much harder than it was then.

Reactions: Eb

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

It could be a decent move. The job doesn't really require a tremendous amount of front office experience, provided he stays out of the GM's way, it is more setting the tone of the organization from the top.

This being a rouse to appease the fans is what concerns me. Vancouver just hired Linden in similar circumstances, a day prior to the renewal of season tickets were due. The big name of Shannahan should not be allowed to cloud the fact that management and coaching for this team have been a disaster for the better part of a decade. It should not buy Nonis or Carlyle anymore time. Keep the heat on.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
The same strong-willed people that signed Clarkson to that deal of his?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't forget, it's mainly because of TL that the Leafs acquired Bernier. Without him, we're still stuck with Reimer and his rebound control.

Yeah and who told you he was responsible for Bernier? Of course it was Tim L who said he was. Takes all the credit for the positives and avoids the blame for the negatives.

Not saying that I necessarily disagree/agree with you but I would like to see some evidence to support that statement.

I'm not talking about Nonis. If they are mad about Clarkson and Phaneuf contracts then they shouldn't have fired the guy who said he'd never sign those contracts. They kept Nonis around because he'll do what he's told. Then when it goes bad they get rid of him. This all stems from the top. Everybody will be excited because we have a new fall guy :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Please, Please Santa.
And then Jeff Blashill. :nod:

for people not happy about this

1: him not having ties to the organization is a good thing. He's not blinded by the days of yesteryear when we were winningly mediocre not losingly mediocre.

2: The guy knows how to win, and he has been courted for ages. (and apparently by the Leafs for ages too going by the Cox article). He's benefited from the School of Winning Culture: Detroit.

3: him being a rookie is not a bad thing. People keep going 'OMGZ! JFJ!" okay get off it. Yzerman. Rookie. Sakic. Rookie. Roy. Rookie. Cooper. Rookie.

4: Change is coming. Let's go.

Reactions: Elephanto

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
As reported by @TorontoStar, can confirm Brendan Shanahan finalizing arrangements to leave NHL to take executive pos'n with Maple Leafs.
Expand Reply Retweeted Favorite More

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad