Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
“bUt hE pASsED tHrOuGh WAiVeRS”

so did Markstrom once upon a time
Gaunce cleared last season. And Geeen was his coach in Utica before. If Green would not keep him up then that pretty much ends his time here.

Good luck to him.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Hope he can manage to find a team to take a one-year flier on him. Would much rather have used him than some of the expensive UFA junk Jimbo blew his wad on, but such is life as a Canucks fan.

Reactions: tyhee

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sort of inevitable after Gaunce basically hit the wall in the last 20 games in Utica when the team needed him most.....yet another failed Canuck first-rounder. At least he played a few games in the NHL, and might catch on with somebody else on a two-way contract.

But drilling down on that 2012 draft in more detail, it was truly an awful year. Nail Yakupov went first overall; and Pouliot actually went 8th. Canucks might have drafted some useful d-men like Brady Skjei; Adam Pelech or Damon Severson instead of Gaunce. But then a lot teams whiffed on their picks that year.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It should also be noted that - even if you think Gaunce sucks as an NHLer and belonged in Utica - he was unequivocally Utica’s best all-around forward and releasing this player they could have qualified creates yet another hole needing to be filled in their painfully thin forward group.

The team’s 2nd best forward Tanner Kero is also an UFA. Things might get worse before they get better down there.

Please, Spooner and Schaller are gonna be huge upgrades on Gaunce and Kero down in Utica

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
This is not what I would do. I suppose there was no trade market for him though and we are packed to the rafters with dross Benning has acquired, so there is nowhere to play. It's worth noting that he was better at every age than Beagle and Schaller at the same points in their careers. But why zpend 1M when you can spend 3M. 3 is more than 1. 33 is more than 25. Our guy is 8 better in age and way richer. smh.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Would have preferred keeping gaunce over crap like granlund and schaller but gaunce is nothing special. Game is moving towards speed and skill and while yes his metrics are good in limited minutes, he is slow and unskilled

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don’t understand all the angers
Yes he can be a cheap useful depth when needed. But these kind of players come and go, he has been with us for almost a decade, it’s time to move on for both parties sake

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I don't understand why this team has such a bias against cheap depth. Decent depth shouldn't cost $1m+. That doesn't automatically make it good. More money /=/ better players. Gaunce costs $750k, can play in Utica and Vancouver when injuries arise, and is a good role model to young guys to help develop sound defensive games. He's not the most talented guy in the world, but he's good depth. As was Archibald, as was Grenier, as was Jeffrey, as was O'Reilly, as was DeFazio, as was Fedun, and Sanguinetti...

I get these guys come and go, but we have done a bang up job just getting rid of guys and not replacing them with much. If the team goes out and doesn't qualify Gaunce, but instead replaced him with a #1/2C for Utica next season I'm happy. That's a positive move. But what has been shown in the past is a desire not to get serviceable depth for Utica and good depth for the Canucks even though we get crazy injuries every year. Utica was decimated last season and we plan on getting rid of one of the rocks of the roster? We better replace him with a top 6 player that's cheap and has NHL experience and can play in an NHL bottom 6 if needed

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If they want to (and smart enough ) they can find a guy on Gaunce level under 1m on the 3rd day of free agency.

Not getting my hope up, just wish Granlund is the next one to let go

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If they want to (and smart enough ) they can find a guy on Gaunce level under 1m on the 3rd day of free agency.
That would go against previous behavior by Barney Fife.

I would hope that the Comets offer Gaunce a AHL contract (assuming he doesn't get picked up by another NHL team) as he IS at least a useful AHL player (miles ahead of the most of the usual crap Dumb & Dumber ice in Utica). Saves the Canucks a contract slot & gives them needed useful bodies on the Comets.

Nah, that too, would go against previous behavior by Barney Fife junior.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Not getting my hope up, just wish Granlund is the next one to let go
Granny, probably depends what they do with other guys who have contracts. Buyouts or assignment to the A. If Spooner and. Schaller are not brought back and the other 3 RFA guys get signed that leaves them with 13 forwards under contract with a desire to add a scoring winger to bring it to 14. But they likely try to move Sutter to drop them down to 13. I don’t see Loui moved. Maybe they can try to assign him to the A and hope he balks and walks away. Who knows.

If they do opt to bring him back they need to do what they did with Pouliot last year and not QO him to sign him for less.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don’t understand all the angers
Yes he can be a cheap useful depth when needed. But these kind of players come and go, he has been with us for almost a decade, it’s time to move on for both parties sake

Ideally you do have that type of depth turnover, but Benning has proven he's unable to acquire quality depth for cheap which is why this is problematic, his idea of doing that getting Tim Schaller who is an inferior player to Gaunce at a higher cost.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
seems like a stupid decision thats barely worth litigating. anyone who thinks its a good choice was honking and oinking in celebration when we signed ryan miller and the rest of us probably have better things to do than to explain to them why brendan gaunce was a positive value asset

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Equivalent player to Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, Tim Schaller & Loui Eriksson - at a fraction of the cost. Wish Gaunce all the best.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Sutter at least looked pretty useful (ignoring his contract for the moment) the season before in a checking 3C role. Not sure about this season (even if you factor in the injuries).

Sutter was horrific this season, he has lost speed and looks like a broken player out there. His analytics were the worst out of the forwards and his wingers performed much better without him than with him. He is an offensive black hole and is average defensively.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sutter was horrific this season, he has lost speed and looks like a broken player out there. His analytics were the worst out of the forwards and his wingers performed much better without him than with him. He is an offensive black hole and is average defensively.
Yeah it's like his play just completely fell off the cliff this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad