Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Don't disagree with either of those statements, but compete maximizes skill as well. Look at Gallagher, he honestly shouldn't even be in the NHL, yet he's a 30 goal guy. Also compete is part of our identity, look at Tatar, Domi, Shaw, Danault, Gally, etc... the guy's who don't compete (Drouin, Galchenyuk) stick out like a sore thumb- and not in a good way.

Mutually exclusive. Gallagher deserves every bit to be in the NHL. Your arguments are flawed. Some guys compete harder then others, regardless of their skill level.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“We definitely were able to change the culture, the attitude and the work ethic. Those was the positive. The negative, we wasn't good enough to get in (PO) so I think you take what we did well. We definitely get into a good start. We came to the training camp from Day 1. We were ready to compete and everyone to this locker room worked hard this year. When you start with those that's usually the chart to have success. Obviously, there's little things we gonna point up through this year that we could've differently. If he did that before we could probably still playing hockey until now... Which is disappointing. Like we said last year you've a season where you're not the ultimate champion, you take what you can from it. You learn, you tryna come back the next year doing better...”

“No I mean I like it personally (division). We are in the wrong side this year. Sometimes you gonna be on the right side.What it does it creates more competitive games. You can't say that the division games at the end were not fun. Then it was two wild spots to get in. I think it's fair oppurtunity. The east was a lot stronger this year, generally speaking usually 96 pts is enough. That's what we ended up and it didn't getted in. But that's just the way it goes. I remember a couple of years ago the West was way stronger than the East. Those back and fourth we know what to do. We control our destiny until the last couple of games there. We had a chance. Just a matter like I say taking the good, there's a lot of good from our group. Correcting the mistakes we made to be better next year.”

“I mean it's not three or four. It's seven that I played and we haven't won one. That's was you're playing for. You wanna win it doesn't matter how far you go or how earlier our season ends. You've the same feeling to talk to you guys until ultimately you can say we succeeded. The reason we play this game is to be winners. It's a very competitive league and we got a lot of belief in the people right in this organization and the players we've in this locker room. That's is the goal when you play for the Montreal Canadiens. That's somewhat we're all working for it.”

“They've... I'm not gonna go this year. It's kinda the same reasons then last year. You know for me like I said I'm focus on winning here. It was a awesome experience, we're able to win. I had a lot of fun. Hockey Canada treat you awesome. It's one these things you play 82 games and then at the same time it takes probably two months away from your trainning, your preparation. I'm just more comfortable to go back home. Using a little bit of time to reset, to recover and getting back to the gym as soon as possible. Getting better...”

“I take a lot of pride on playing 82 games. I mean it's always nice to be there for the team. It's something you work hard the summer so it's nice. Obviously through out the year wou'll get some bumps but there's enough qualified people around to make you feel better and get ready to play the game.”

“Well, I think we're hungry too. It gives guys a taste to what the city capable of. The last months it was pretty fun to come the rink every day and play hockey in front of this fans. You're tryna to explain them what it would be to get into the PO. How much it's exciting and the city is behing you. There's a lot of guys who're hungry to get that opportunity. There's a mindset of we're a team in every sense of the word. For us, to be succesful there's was a little bit of accountability on each others. Working every day and working for your teammates. When you're able to do that, the goals/pts/assists take care of themselves. That's just a result of everyone coming up in the rink everyday and put into the work.”

“That's a part of my job of what I'm supposed to do. It got pretty easy on playing with some pretty good players. They made my job pretty easy. Obviously, you want to win hockey games. So comparing the two years to this year was probably a lot more fun. You want to do more, to be better, you wanna help your team. There's still little areas that you feel like to improve which is exciting.”

“For me, it's tough to compare myself to guys like that, right? I really never had that ability and talent level. The most harder thing to learn is consistency. We all have been in the same way. I just finish my seventh year, it's still my goal every year to be more consistent.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Deathly fear of heights (ferris wheel). Not excited. I could've been given you a tour on land. We're done and I'm so happy about it. I can conquer anything now. It's a nice city tho. It's very cool.”

“The worst part I've to do ferris wheel ride. You know it's awesome... I love the passion that the fans have. It's really cool to be part of. It's a special place to play hockey. And if the fans really understand the game I think that's special to be a part of. They've a strong knowledge of the game.”

“They really made it easy for me. To just focus on hockey and especially for a 20 years old kid there's so much going on. You know you're living out your dream and playing in the National Hockey League... There's so many distractions that could possibly get in your way. Obviously, having Josh there to rely on a lot of things... Hockey advices. The chance to be around good people and people learn from. This was something I'm really appreciative of.”

“You know one of the things that kinda related, he (Mohamed Ali) was always talked about frustration being a wasted emotion and I'm pretty emotional guy... It's something I learnt from him. I'm a pretty competitive guy. When I get frustated thought that's where my game slips a little bit... I've always kinda thought of that. You can be emotional and be competitive but you know you can't let frustration seep in your game. There's other ways to use that emotion and energy positively...”

“For sure, there was a clear message at the start of the year that what we did last year wasn't gonna happen again... I think that was clear from our meetings and day 1 of camp. Being able to have that success early on, like we did it really made us believe and in the message that was being preached... We've been a little bit more accountability within ourselves. That chosen our play and we're excited. It's more fun when you're in the mix. Especially this time of the year.”

“Well, it's hard not to think about it. As players we know the emotions of the game is higher. It's one thing to feed off that. You've to learn from that as well. There's different ways to handle that. But it's definitely fun it brings back some memories... It makes you think about how excited the fans here get. How excited the city gets and how alive it's. You want everyone have the chance to experiment because there's a lot of guys in our team that haven't got to play a PO here in Montreal. It's really a special thing.”

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Training with his Dad.
Gallagher and Dad.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Nice bounce back season for Gallagher.
Was able to stay healthy and play a full season (76 games) for the first time since 2018-19. Also his best season for points (29) since 2019-20. Hopefully he can chip in 30+ points for the remaining 3 years on his contract as a bottom 6 role player

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Nice bounce back season for Gallagher.
Was able to stay healthy and play a full season (76 games) for the first time since 2018-19. Also his best season for points (29) since 2019-20. Hopefully he can chip in 30+ points for the remaining 3 years on his contract as a bottom 6 role player
100% effort every shift, much respect

Reactions: Canadiens98

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Okay season from him. We can live with him. What’s tough is to have 3 veteran RW overpaid with him , Armia and Anderson.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Okay season from him. We can live with him. What’s tough is to have 3 veteran RW overpaid with him , Armia and Anderson.
Looking at the buyout penalty, it’s just easier to retain half on Anderson for the 3 remaining years and ship him off for anything. He’s a detriment to the team.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
His contract will definitely be a huge burden sooner than later.

BUT...

It looks like his teammates absolutely love him. We need to keep him as long as we can.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Looking at the buyout penalty, it’s just easier to retain half on Anderson for the 3 remaining years and ship him off for anything. He’s a detriment to the team.
I can see a team interested in Anderson in a year if Andy has a bounce back season next year . 2y at 2,75m$ for Andy , some team might be interested .

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I don't consider Armia to be that much overpaid to be honest, at least not in a way that is really hurtful. And his contract is up next year so it doesn't matter that much. Anderson though..... ouch

Reactions: Fenris and Redux91

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't consider Armia to be that much overpaid to be honest, at least not in a way that is really hurtful. And his contract is up next year so it doesn't matter that much. Anderson though..... ouch
Armia brings great PK ability. Gallagher brings effort. Anderson brings nothing.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I was very critical of Gally, however after hearing the news that his mom has been battling brain cancer I can't imagine how difficult things must be for him (article in case anyone hasn't seen: Canadiens' Gallagher inspired by mother's courageous fight against brain cancer).

Despite going through this, it seems like he's still very positive and always joking around with younger guys on the team like Slaf and been a positive influence in the dressing room.

He still works his ass off each night and will end up with 30 points despite dealing with these personal issues, reduced ice time and playing mainly in the bottom six with not much offensive talent.

Nice to see veterans like Armia, Evans and Gallagher being good role models this year for the young guys by leading through example, compared to Anderson who has been pathetic.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
15 goals and 29 pts in 76 games while averaging only 13:47 of ice time

Gally isn't close to being worth his contract, but his production this year for the role and minutes he played is good

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
First half of the year for him was really tough to watch, to me it just didn't look like he could keep up out there but this last stretch has been really nice to see. He's easy to root for because he brings it every shift and is clearly liked in the locker room.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
15 goals and 29 pts in 76 games while averaging only 13:47 of ice time

Gally isn't close to being worth his contract, but his production this year for the role and minutes he played is good

Ever since his minutes have been reduced he's been much better.

In his last 24 games he's been playing closer to only 13 minutes and has got 7 goals and 13 points while only being -2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad