Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
There's probably no GM out there that wants him. But if there is, I'd trade him now before that GM realizes he's done. See Jonathan Cheechoo, Martin Havlat, Darcy Tucker, and many other players who hit a wall in their prime.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There's probably no GM out there that wants him. But if there is, I'd trade him now before that GM realizes he's done. See Jonathan Cheechoo, Martin Havlat, Darcy Tucker, and many other players who hit a wall in their prime.

Your declaration that "he's done" isn't a fact. Considering his back to back injuries, it's likely premature and more than a little disingenuous.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

Totally disagree. A reputation doesn't disappear overnight. He still has good value with GMs around the league Im sure. We should package him and one of our D and shake up the team a bit. Hockey trade, not rental trade.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
What does benching him accomplish?

Stop thinking like Therrien, negative reinforcement doesn't work long-term.

He's coming off two consecutive hand injuries, it's clearly affecting his stickwork and his shot - and therefore his confidence as a professional. He's said so himself.

Instead of having some sort of empathy or optimism for someone who's given his all for the Habs throughout his young career, you're demanding that he should be benched. Okay, for whom? Flynn? Andrighetto? the bust JDLR?

Have some perspective. He's not hurting the team out there, and he's earned a ton of slack. He's a warrior, let's hope he gets it together sooner than later.

You are right, benching wouldn't accomplish anything! I don't want to see him on the PP anymore and if a younger player could be given his Top 6 minutes, I would do it.

Any other player having the season he's having would feel the heat from the fans. Plekanec, Pacioretty, Price, Galchenyuk, Weber all struggled at one point this season and fans got out with their pitchforks trashing them. Most of them have done more for this team than Gallagher but for some reason he's the one who got the less hate. He's not getting a free pass here...

Sorry but I don't buy the hand injury excuse. Nobody was talking about his hand last season when he came back from injury. He was doing fine when he came back and kept on performing like a Top 6 player. He was still scoring goals and getting points and his hand didn't seem to be much of a concern. He was playing just fine the first two weeks of the season also...

The second time might have done some damage to his hand who knows but I see other elements from his game lacking and not only his hand.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You are right, benching wouldn't accomplish anything! I don't want to see him on the PP anymore and if a younger player could be given his Top 6 minutes, I would do it.

Any other player having the season he's having would feel the heat from the fans. Plekanec, Pacioretty, Price, Galchenyuk, Weber all struggled at one point this season and fans got out with their pitchforks trashing them. Most of them have done more for this team than Gallagher but for some reason he's the one who got the less hate. He's not getting a free pass here...

Sorry but I don't buy the hand injury excuse. Nobody was talking about his hand last season when he came back from injury. He was doing fine when he came back and kept on performing like a Top 6 player. He was still scoring goals and getting points and his hand didn't seem to be much of a concern. He was playing just fine the first two weeks of the season also...

The second time might have done some damage to his hand who knows but I see other elements from his game lacking and not only his hand.

He's being used on the PP because he's good at screening the goalie , deflecting pucks and recuperating rebounds. It's the same thing with Shaw...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I highly doubt Gallagher is 'done' based on this season alone, I wouldn't want to trade him either since I think he can easily bounce back after a much needed rest period this summer.

I wouldn't like it, however, I would be open to trading him + Emelin/Beaulieu for a #3 or a high end #4 LHD though. Then you protect Weber, Petry + the upgrade

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why are people so negative about this guy lately? I get the whole 'what have you done for me lately' stuff but this is kind of overboard.

Why in god's name would we try shopping him unless an upgrade was involved?

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Why are people so negative about this guy lately? I get the whole 'what have you done for me lately' stuff but this is kind of overboard.

Because of his style of play coupled with his size isn't conducive to sustained excellence.

Because of the injuries diminishing his already very limited skill set.

Because he takes dumb penalties, and doesn't draw them as much as he used to.

Because we have Radulov and Shaw now and Gallagher isn't the default #1RW like in years past.

Because he hasn't earned his PP time, and his stats on PP show that he doesn't belong there.

Because he's not skilled or quite simply good enough (anymore) to be playing with Galchenyuk, let alone be relied upon to get Galchenyuk going.

Because another certain RWer has been far more successful and shown far more chemistry with Galchenyuk.

Because the league is getting faster and skating was never his strongest suit to begin with.

Because of the video review challenges nullifying his biggest asset.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A year ago a lot of us wanted him as Captain. I love this kid but what on earth has happened to him?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
A year ago a lot of us wanted him as Captain. I love this kid but what on earth has happened to him?

I guess he can't get the spark going without top-6 players surrounding him. If he's the center of attention on a line he's easier to counter?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Because of his style of play coupled with his size isn't conducive to sustained excellence.

Because of the injuries diminishing his already very limited skill set.

Because he takes dumb penalties, and doesn't draw them as much as he used to.

Because we have Radulov and Shaw now and Gallagher isn't the default #1RW like in years past.

Because he hasn't earned his PP time, and his stats on PP show that he doesn't belong there.

Because he's not skilled or quite simply good enough (anymore) to be playing with Galchenyuk, let alone be relied upon to get Galchenyuk going.

Because another certain RWer has been far more successful and shown far more chemistry with Galchenyuk.

Because the league is getting faster and skating was never his strongest suit to begin with.

Because of the video review challenges nullifying his biggest asset.

1) Okay but this doesn't change overnight.

2) He hurt his hand/finger. He didn't break his back or knees. Relax.

3) It happens.

4) Okay so if he's not the default #1RW that's a bad thing? We have two top 6 lines...

5) He's always lagged against his teammates on the PP, check the numbers. This doesn't explain the change.

6) Because of a hand and finger injury? C'mon.

7) What's wrong with this?

8) So you're advocating trading Galchenyuk who isn't known for his speed either correct?

9) Video review is brand new? It was there last year and everyone on team missed him.

All in all the only things you got is stuff that has always existed or stuff that you assume got dramatically worse overnight.

We give Galchenyuk a million games from an injury but few to Gallagher?

Let's relax. He'll bounce back.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I remember not to long ago that players were paired with him to get them going. Crease rule changes have hampered his ability to play his game...

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
His main contribution was standing in front of the net, taking a pounding while creating havoc.

Since the video review though, dmen are less likely to pay attention to that because if there is interference, the goal will be called back.

Before the argument could be made that they were pushed into the goaltender.

If you watched last night's game, the Habs had a scoring chance with about two minutes left, shortly after Gallagher had fallen on Andersen (without being touched from what I saw).

And then after the whistle, he went and fell on him again.

Good chance any goal on the play would have been challenged and possibly called back.

Don't know what the future holds but he will need to refine his game (if that's possible).

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Why in god's name would we try shopping him unless an upgrade was involved?

Have you seen him play? His game against Toronto last night would be considered a good game by him in today's standards, but it would have been considered a pedestrian effort in years past.

I don't want to be negative, but his game has been so bad.... You gotta call a spade a spade.

I hope he finds his game again, because he is desperately needed, but if his name was not Gallagher, he would not be an NHL player this year based on his play.

His main contribution was standing in front of the net, taking a pounding while creating havoc.

Since the video review though, dmen are less likely to pay attention to that because if there is interference, the goal will be called back.

Before the argument could be made that they were pushed into the goaltender.

If you watched last night's game, the Habs had a scoring chance with about two minutes left, shortly after Gallagher had fallen on Andersen (without being touched from what I saw).

And then after the whistle, he went and fell on him again.

Good chance any goal on the play would have been challenged and possibly called back.

Don't know what the future holds but he will need to refine his game (if that's possible).

The video review does not explain his struggles. His board game is ineffective today, and that used to be a major strength of his. We can't blame that on video review.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know how the hell you can say this. He's coming off two busted hands... it doesn't mean he's done.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Have you seen him play? His game against Toronto last night would be considered a good game by him in today's standards, but it would have been considered a pedestrian effort in years past.

I don't want to be negative, but his game has been so bad.... You gotta call a spade a spade.

I hope he finds his game again, because he is desperately needed, but if his name was not Gallagher, he would not be an NHL player this year based on his play.

You've missed the point. I never said Gallagher has been great or even good.

My point is we're going to trade him because he isn't great 5 games after an injury?

It's nonsensical.

28 in 44
41 in 81
47 in 82
40 in 63

are his point totals his first 4 years, always increasing in GPG & PPG.

This year? 18 in 44. Lowest PPG of his career. No one is blind to this.

But why would it be intelligent to trade the guy for 1 off year? He'll bounce back, he didn't trend upwards every single year to suddenly lose all his skill because of a hand injury.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

My point is we're going to trade him because he isn't great 5 games after an injury?

It's nonsensical.

28 in 44
41 in 81
47 in 82
40 in 63

But why would it be intelligent to trade the guy for 1 off year? He'll bounce back, he didn't trend upwards every single year but suddenly lose all his skill because of a hand injury.

I agree, and let's not forget he was never really relying on pure skill or amazing sniping ability. His banged up hand shouldn't impede him from deflecting pucks or bounce on rebounds in front of the net.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
5 games after an injury? He wasn't playing any different for 30 games BEFORE the injury. :shakehead

But sure, I guess he has done enough for us to earn a write-off season. Though not really considering he's never hit 50 pts despite always playing with our best players and having the best ice-times. His best seasons aren't that much better than what Danault has done so far this season, despite not getting any PP time and starting the year on the 4th line.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree, and let's not forget he was never really relying on pure skill or amazing sniping ability. His banged up hand shouldn't impede him from deflecting pucks or bounce on rebounds in front of the net.
Of course it does. The guy has two busted hands. He got them by deflecting pucks. And there's a reason most players don't like to go to the net... they don't like getting slashed all the time.

What makes Gallagher so great is that he's fearless when it comes to these kinds of things. He's lost that edge now because he's come off the DL and is playing tentative. I don't see how anyone can blame him for that. Personally, I don't think he'll get his game together this year. I think we'll have to wait until next season (or maybe the playoffs) for us to see the guy we've been so used to seeing. He's been incredibly consistent since coming into the league. It's too bad to see so many people ripping on him now that he's freshly off the DL and struggling.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

It's nonsensical.

28 in 44
41 in 81
47 in 82
40 in 63

But why would it be intelligent to trade the guy for 1 off year? He'll bounce back, he didn't trend upwards every single year to suddenly lose all his skill because of a hand injury.

Well, I'm responding to your question regarding the aura of negativity around him, but if we want to talk about trading him, that's a different topic altogether. First of all, I don't think he is really that tradeable unless the habs literally want to dump him, and that means a meager return. The habs best move is to stick with him, and hope he resolves whatever is ailing him. This is no slam dunk though.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Of course it does. The guy has two busted hands. He got them by deflecting pucks. And there's a reason most players don't like to go to the net... they don't like getting slashed all the time.

What makes Gallagher so great is that he's fearless when it comes to these kinds of things. He's lost that edge now because he's come off the DL and is playing tentative. I don't see how anyone can blame him for that. Personally, I don't think he'll get his game together this year. I think we'll have to wait until next season (or maybe the playoffs) for us to see the guy we've been so used to seeing. He's been incredibly consistent since coming into the league. It's too bad to see so many people ripping on him now that he's freshly off the DL and struggling.

He got hit twice in the same hand if I'm not mistaken...

And I don't agree with you for the tentative part, I still see him going hard to the net and screening goalies trying to deflect pucks. It's the only way he can play! As soon as he stops doing it he can retire, to be honest. He's not fast, he's not skilled, he doesn't have a good shot... He's a net crusher with a flare to find the puck in traffic.

I said it earlier , he struggles to produce because he's misused. I mean , he should play with someone like Pacioretty who generates a lot of shots to the net during the game to be able to be in his element... If the puck never gets to the net he's pretty useless.

Lately, I see him trying to carry the puck in , he doesn't have the speed to do it , he get's hammered into the boards almost every time and just loses the puck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad