Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher: Workin' Hard for His Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Bergevin-PressConference(20/10/15):Gallagher
“He means a lot to our hockey team. Since day one when I became a general manager, he's been on our team. You saw in the playoffs: he got cross-checked in the face and he wouldn't want to miss a shift. He didn't want to leave... In the past I've seen guys who get slashed, they get a fingernail missing and they're finding a way not to play. Gallagher is everything you want in a hockey player and that's what I love about him.”
“His character. There's high maintenance, there's middle maintenance, there's low maintenance and there's no maintenance. And that's Brendan Gallagher... He's a hockey player through his bones. And that's what I love about him.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Gallagher-PressConference(20/10/15)
“Honestly, it's unbelievable to see the additions we've been able to make... I could go through the list. To be able to add that many pieces, it's pretty exciting. So when I'm sitting there and you're thinking about where you want to be and you add those pieces on top of what we had as a group and what we were building... You talk about the young centermen coming up. It's pretty exciting right now for anyone around the Montreal Canadiens organization...
“It started with Edmundson. He's going to be someone on our backend who just adds to that tough-to-play against mentality. When you're looking at our D now, I don't think there's going to be a single forward group in the in the League that's excited to come and play our team.”

“Then he goes and gets Josh Anderson- physical, with scoring talent. That's something that's hard to come by. He's a rare breed in the League, a physical power forward with size who can do it all, and he can also put the puck in the net. You add a player like that, I think every team in the League would be happy to have him.”

“I forgot about Allen. We know how good Pricey is; he's the best goaltender in the world when he's refreshed, healthy and has that energy. We've an opportunity now to play a goalie who can start for us 20-plus times. We're confident in him, he's going to get the job done, and then that's going to make Pricey that much better - which is obviously scary.”

“And then just a few days ago, we add Toffoli, a guy who's pretty much scored everywhere he's been his entire life. He's the same age group as me, so I know him a little bit, I've played against him. We actually played on the same team in a couple of summer hockey tournaments in Montreal, strangely enough. His entire life he's put the puck in the net, he's found ways to score. He was on a Stanley Cup-winning team. He's a guy who's going to bring that experience. Every one of them is going to play a key role on our team.”

“I don't prove people wrong; I always try to prove people right. I like to give credit to the many people who believed in me along the way. No matter what you go through, everyone is going to have people doubt them. But you get to where you are because of the people who believed in you and put in a lot of time and effort around you. For me, I've had a ton of people - going back to the teammates and coaches from my minor hockey days to my Junior days and obviously here in Montreal - the way they've treated me. These are the people who have given me a chance and believed me...”
“And right now, with Berge and Geoff giving me this contract, it's another case of, of people instilling confidence in me. Those are the people who motivate me to put in the work to prove them right, rather than the people who are against you or naysayers. Negative energy has never been something that's really fueled me all that much...”
“I really had no expectations... I was just trying to be a hockey player and to be a part of a winning team. That's really your only goal. You first want to make the team and then you want to be a player the organization respects. The way the fans have embraced me... There are so many Habs fans outside of Quebec, but when you're dealing with strictly Quebec: everywhere I've been and everywhere my family's been, they've been nothing but respectful to us. That's something that doesn't go unnoticed. I really do love that city and I love the people. I love the fans... I'm very happy I get to be a part of that for another seven years.”

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Camping, taking 3 teammates: "I would take Pricey because I think he's spent about half his life outdoors... hmm... I'd take Petey, he seems like a good guy to take out camping. And I'd take Tatar but BUT, it's really only because I don't want to be the dumbest guy of the group." (690)

:laugh:

Dhaemon

Oct 20, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
I'm surprised Gallagher's thread is so far back.
IMHO the hardest working player for the Habs.
Most SOG for the Habs and the way he fearlessly forechecks towards the Goalie is outstanding. Management really lit a fire under his rear end last season (Or was it the post season before?) when they said he wasn't playing hard enough in the post season.

Anywho, he really is exciting to watch.

Reactions: azcanuck

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm surprised Gallagher's thread is so far back.
IMHO the hardest working player for the Habs.
Most SOG for the Habs and the way he fearlessly forechecks towards the Goalie is outstanding. Management really lit a fire under his rear end last season (Or was it the post season before?) when they said he wasn't playing hard enough in the post season.

Anywho, he really is exciting to watch.
Gally is Gally, there's nothing to shit about, that's why his thread is dormant... :laugh:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Gally always seems just out of reach of the puck, it's kinda funny to watch.

He showed some serious mitts on that goal last night. One of my favorite players.

Reactions: Habssince89

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Still has some hard miles left on his clock for sure although I wish he'd make a few better probability based choices with the puck on his stick.

Great finish on his breakaway though - who knew??

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
quietly having a solid year even though he's still anchored to Danault who has been pretty abysmal.

I wish Byron could play C (think that was tried at one point) so we could sit Danault instead of Byron when Armia comes back.

Reactions: Andrei79

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I think Gally would look much better if they put him with KK and Toffoli.

He’s not gonna show his best abilities playing with Mr. Selke.

Danault is crying that he turned down 30M. I still can’t believe he turned down 30M USD to play in his hometown. What the f*** is wrong with him? Bergevin is laughing now, he got saved.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think Gally would look much better if they put him with KK and Toffoli.

He’s not gonna show his best abilities playing with Mr. Selke.

Danault is crying that he turned down 30M. I still can’t believe he turned down 30M USD to play in his hometown. What the f*** is wrong with him? Bergevin is laughing now, he got saved.
I said this many times before, the mistake was to call Danault our number one center, he feels as though he was underpaid in that role and now wants his new contract to compensate for that. It is a big mistake on his part, he is not a 5 million dollar player in the current landscape. He does not have the tools offensively to command the kind of money that is being reported.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Gallagher can bounce back with new linemates. As this team grows and the new generation shakes the lineup further, Gallagher will hopefully find his game with some fast younger players that will let him be his opportunistic self. If he has to do all the puck retrieval work himself he will break down.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
this team is on the verge of having a lot of bad contracts, that superstar GM Elon Bergevin has formulated. Gallagher, Webs, Price, ... that's a lot of money for either declining vets, and loyalty bonuses.

Anderson's contract is very risky, even at this current season pace which will not stay this way. Have to sign Donut, and.. you know. the kids...

Yikes.

Reactions: angusyoung

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Problem is not Gallagher's contract hit it is:
  • Contracts of some other players eating cap.
  • Refs ignoring hits on him, calling goals back if he's involved, and absolutely not treating opposing players the same way. Marchand gets calls and he's a horrible person, why doesn't Gallagher ever get calls?
  • potentially the length.
Gallagher is great, he goes to the net, scores, and retrieves pucks.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Problem is not Gallagher's contract hit it is:
  • Contracts of some other players eating cap.
  • Refs ignoring hits on him, calling goals back if he's involved, and absolutely not treating opposing players the same way. Marchand gets calls and he's a horrible person, why doesn't Gallagher ever get calls?
  • potentially the length.
Gallagher is great, he goes to the net, scores, and retrieves pucks.

It's almost like every ref treats Gallagher like he got their youngest daughter pregnant...might be something to look into...:laugh:

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad