Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher suspended 5 games

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Didn't want to clutter up the Monahan thread with a discussion focused on Gallagher so I moved this here.

I'm aware of the contempt for Gallagher on these boards, but to question if it's a good idea that our youth are subjected to his habits is bewildering to me. His work effort is exemplary regardless of his effectiveness. He would still go through a wall for this team if his body allowed. Noone should question that he leads by example regardless of some of his mistakes.

To surmise being around such a player as a detriment doesn't wash for me.
So with the caveat being that nobody here is in the room or sees the day to day interactions that would actually be needed to say with any certainty whether he's good as a mentor, here's my reasoning on why I do question Gallagher as a good veteran influence.

He works hard not smart. So sure he'll go through a wall for the team, but if your going through walls on the regular then it's going to lead to injuries injuries and going 100% all the time means that when it comes time for the playoffs you have nothing left in the tank. And we see that with Gallagher, poor playoff performances compared to the regular season despite his style being the style that should have success in the playoffs, and lots of little injuries. MSL has even talked about some of what he's trying teach is that you shouldn't be skating 100% all the time, you have to read the play and pick your moments properly so you can actually catch the opponents flat footed.

Somewhat related is that because he's not a high IQ player he can't really help guys in that regard. A big part of any mentorship is talking with the young guys, and you see that all the time in the NHL, guys come back to the bench and talk about a play on the ice and how they want to react in the future. With Gallagher, he's got nothing to offer in that regards as he's very much a just shoot from anywhere and crash the net type player which yeah you need some of that, but compared to a Monahan who can actually offer thoughtful advice there's just no comparison to what's better for the young guys.

As his career has moved along he's gone from the happy go lucky kid whose loving every minute of being in the NHL to playing with a chip on his shoulder where he seems to care more about getting even and retaliating then in focusing on winning the game. It's always a grey zone since you do want/need a level of push back and standing up for yourself/teammates but I see a player whose simply gone too far in that direction. When your focus is more on what happens after the whistle then it is on what's happening between the whistles it's a problem. And we see this not only in the amount of penalties, but also the type of penalties he's taking, as well as his overall demeanor on the ice. He used to be a net positive in terms of penalties, so he'd get crosschecked and draw a penalty all the while having a smile on his face, whereas now every crosscheck against him has to be responded to with his own and ends up a net negative. It's simply not the attitude that makes for a good leader/mentor.

There's lots of little things that don't put Gallagher in a good light in terms of leadership. The fights he occasionally gets into with teammates at practice being just one example. Now I'd also point out there's a big difference between being beneficial to the young guys and being detrimental. I don't think Gallagher is really detrimental to the young guys, but I don't think he helps them much at all either. So if your looking for veteran leadership that actually helps the young guys then Gallagher just isn't it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well, some LA fans are ready to trade Dubois straight up for Gally
As much as I dislike Gally, right now, at least he only has 3 years left at 6.5M and tries......
Dubois has 7 more years, at 8,5M????????????? He would have a nervous breakdown in Montreal, the attention he would have put on himself with a half a$$ed effort he is pulling off his last couple of seasons.........
Dubois has been called out by some of the Jets players for god's sake.......lack of effort is unacceptable in the league, especially when you make 8,5M per......

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Some of the posts I read make me embarrassed to be a Habs fan. And in the same light probably why some very good players refuse to play here and some can't wait to get out. The self-righteousness is on another level.
Gallagher is a 40 point winger whos won nothing here cry me a river guy can't make a tape to tape pass since the deharnais days boohoo.

Great player and played his heart out but please acting like we were blessed by the gods with the chance to have gallagher on our team is hilarious , the dude was not even a good top 6 player Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: habbubba and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gallagher is a 40 point winger whos won nothing here cry me a river guy can't make a tape to tape pass since the deharnais days boohoo.

Great player and played his heart out but please acting like we were blessed by the gods with the chance to have gallagher is hilarious , the dude was not even a good top 6 player Jesus Christ
A player we should have sold high before he was ever given a crazy contract that we are now stuck with...................we all knew Gallagher's game, was not going to age well, and it hasn't.

Reactions: habbubba

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

Great player and played his heart out but please acting like we were blessed by the gods with the chance to have gallagher on our team is hilarious , the dude was not even a good top 6 player Jesus Christ.
Short memory, I guess. Typical fair-weather fan response that our fanbase if famous for. No appreciation for the contributions to our team from a true warrior. I think you'd get a pretty devastating reality check if you asked anyone who played with him or against him.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Short memory, I guess. Typical fair-weather fan response that our fanbase if famous for. No appreciation for the contributions to our team from a true warrior. I think you'd get a pretty devastating reality check if you asked anyone who played with him or against him.
Sorry I don't think as fondly as you of the last decade of habs hockey with gally in the top 6. Good player sure but acting like he's something special? I get that expectations are low but the guy was slotted too high in the lineup his entire career.

And I'll never deny the guy is a Warrior , I respect his game I just don't think he's great

Reactions: Redux91 and Habs13

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Sorry I don't think as fondly as you of the last decade of habs hockey with gally in the top 6. Good player sure but acting like he's something special? I get that expectations are low but the guy was slotted too high in the lineup his entire career.

And I'll never deny the guy is a Warrior , I respect his game I just don't think he's great
bro in Montreal, 40 points 50 pim is an absolute legend and HOF player since they traded Keane.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

Depends on how you define "special". And believe me. And I don't have low expectations. The opposite is true as I've had the honor of seeing 12 Montreal cup championships in my life.

I put great value on players that never quit, go to the dirty areas every shift, and bleed our colors. Add to that playing as hard as he does and taking a beating every shift, serves as an example to bigger players who play small. Keeps everyone honest.

This is for a 5'9" winger picked in the 5th round. And over a 10 year span when no one was scoring for us. Respect from me, ALWAYS.

2024-02-04 11 34 10.jpg

Reactions: Joe Lamb

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Nah they can keep him. Gallagher's shitty contract expires before Dubois' shitty contract

Did you cry when you gave him his last contract, Marc?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I think 99% of us agree that Gally is done. So what is next?
A) Buyout, B) LTIRetirement or C) let him "play" next three seasons. I do not think C option is realistic as Gally is already so bad that it hurts whole team. His -23 is no coincidence.
A) Do we buyout this summer?
SEASONINITIAL CAP HIT
CAP HIT (NEW)
2024-25$6,500,000-$333,333
2025-26$6,500,000$2,166,667
2026-27$6,500,000$4,666,667
2027-28$0$2,166,667
2028-29$0$2,166,667
2029-30$0$2,166,667
TOTAL$19,500,000$13,000,002
We save 6,5M overall, but this does not really make sense as we will have 2,1M cap hit in 3 seasons when it really matters.

Next summer
SEASONINITIAL CAP HIT
CAP HIT (NEW)
2025-26$6,500,000$1,750,000
2026-27$6,500,000$4,250,000
2027-28$0$1,750,000
2028-29$0$1,750,000
TOTAL$13,000,000$9,500,000
We save 3,5M, but still have cap hit of 1,75M for 2 additional seasons. More reasonable, we give Gally one last chance, limit his icetime on 4th line.

B) For me, the best and most realistic scenario is LTIR from next summer. The leverage for Hughes is those 3,5M that Gally loses when we buyout. Just make gentleman agreement and Gally will be on LTIR for couple seasons, get all his money and we could use that cap space. No impact beyond his contract.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I just don't know what we're gonna DO god lol
If that play didn't make him realized he's absolutely finished as an NHL player man then what will ffs

We have to pray he sucks it up and retires after next season or something
THEN , I swear, everybody would like him again! Lol
Sigh
The bigger problem is that the coaching staff and management don't appear to see/believe that he is finished as a NHLer...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Boy did I ever miss him! such and inspirational leader,can't lose with him in the line-up.lol

I simply can't get over this hahahahahahahaha

He is so bad in the neutral zone and d zone its crazy

Looks like me out there at Parc Jeanne Mance with the boys
Difficult to justify him on the roster let alone in the line-up. Kids the world over see this and go WTF? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad