Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher suspended 5 games

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I wonder if he eased up a little on gritting his teeth and didn't put out such an effort to do small things would it work out better for him.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Contract is harsh and I agree but he's playing on a shutdown line with zero offense Danault, you can't expect him to score that much.
He's still valuable to the team, at 1.5M$ too much. He fits really well with that team of overpaid players though.

Reactions: Tripledeke333

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I think he can play well for a few more seasons but he completely disappears when the playoffs starts. My issue and concern is not the regular season but during the playoffs.

It's fine to play with grit and heart but a 4th line grinder can do that. At 6,5m I expect him to score and produce. His production ever since the Rangers series in 2014 has been awful.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I think he can play well for a few more seasons but he completely disappears when the playoffs starts. My issue and concern is not the regular season but during the playoffs.

It's fine to play with grit and heart but a 4th line grinder can do that. At 6,5m I expect him to score and produce. His production ever since the Rangers series in 2014 has been awful.

It's tough to produce when put in a shutdown role with linemates that are offensive black holes.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
It's tough to produce when put in a shutdown role with linemates that are offensive black holes.

He’s been with offensive black holes since the Rangers series in 2014? The offensive black holes are holding him down when he’s getting countless PP opportunities?

Reactions: shanewalsh

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
He’s been with offensive black holes since the Rangers series in 2014?

Yes.

The offensive black holes are holding him down when he’s getting countless PP opportunities?

Gallagher isn't on the 1st PP unit. Further, he's never really been a strong PP contributor.

I'll also add that his offense hasn't been nearly as lackluster as you seem to be claiming.

2015: 5 points in 12 games; as compared to 47 in 82 regular season games. (0.42 vs 0.57 -- given sample size & lower scoring in playoffs, that's in line)
2017: 3 points in 6 games; as compared to 29 in 64 regular season games (production in line with regular season)
2020: 4 points in 9 games; as compared to 43 in 59 regular season games

So it's really 2020 and 2021 -- and not "since 2014" as you claimed. And Gallagher has been stuck with Danault these last two playoff years, in exclusively shut-down roles. If Montreal were built as a modern day team and not a late '90s style team, Gallagher wouldn't be in a shut-down role and his offense wouldn't be sacrificed so severely. I don't like this approach to roster management that Ducharme/Bergevin seem to favour but, hey, the team's in the Finals. I just wouldn't say that Gallagher's struggling given the role he's been assigned and the team's strategy that has been imposed on him.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs win on a Game 7 OT goal, with the puck going off Gallagher's kisser.
That, ladies and gentlemen, would be bloody magically fitting.

Reactions: RandomTask26

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
hIs LiNeMatEs SuCk OfFeNsIveLy after he scored 30 goals multiple times with Danault as his center lol.

Regular season is quite different. Roles aren't defined so concretely. Matchups aren't adhered to as strictly.

He also scored 30 goals with Tatar as the other winger. Regular season Tatar is superior to playoff Tatar and to Lekhonen or Evans.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With their increased defensively responsibilities, the majority of that lines' chances have to come on the rush as they don't want to get caught out of position deep in the offensive zone and cause odd-man rushes against. A line like the Staal line could play more offensively as they are usually playing against the other's teams bottom six guys so any odd many rushes wouldn't be as dangerous.

The majority of Gallagher/Danault's goals come in tight around the net and both would rarely ever beat a goalie like Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Fleury or Lehner on a clear shot, so it isn't surprising that their point totals have been bad.

Reactions: Mike8

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Regular season is quite different. Roles aren't defined so concretely. Matchups aren't adhered to as strictly.

He also scored 30 goals with Tatar as the other winger. Regular season Tatar is superior to playoff Tatar and to Lekhonen or Evans.
Regular season Gally is also superior to playoff Gally and Tatar. A 30 goalscorer is supposed to find a way to keep producing and not turn into a 4th liner.

Reactions: the

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Yes.

Gallagher isn't on the 1st PP unit. Further, he's never really been a strong PP contributor.

I'll also add that his offense hasn't been nearly as lackluster as you seem to be claiming.

2015: 5 points in 12 games; as compared to 47 in 82 regular season games. (0.42 vs 0.57 -- given sample size & lower scoring in playoffs, that's in line)
2017: 3 points in 6 games; as compared to 29 in 64 regular season games (production in line with regular season)
2020: 4 points in 9 games; as compared to 43 in 59 regular season games

So it's really 2020 and 2021 -- and not "since 2014" as you claimed. And Gallagher has been stuck with Danault these last two playoff years, in exclusively shut-down roles. If Montreal were built as a modern day team and not a late '90s style team, Gallagher wouldn't be in a shut-down role and his offense wouldn't be sacrificed so severely. I don't like this approach to roster management that Ducharme/Bergevin seem to favour but, hey, the team's in the Finals. I just wouldn't say that Gallagher's struggling given the role he's been assigned and the team's strategy that has been imposed on him.

He’s got 7 goals in his last 56 playoffs games (since 2014). I expect him to score goals and it just hasn’t been here. You just got 3 years where his production dipped during the playoffs (2015,2020,2021) With all the hype he gets around here I expect him to raise his game during the playoffs. People want him captain of this team but he can’t even step it up when it matters the most.

It’s no coincidence to me why Ducharme put him in a shutdown role. He’s not producing and even if he was given a more offensive role I doubt he would have produced. His shot selection is horrible, he has average speed and can barely make a pass. Nothing in his play currently indicates that he would produce in a more offensive role.

My point I was making with the PP comment is that at least he’s still getting some prime chances to produce. He’s been given some opportunities that his “offensive blackhole” line mates aren’t being given and he still can’t produce when he’s away from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoopersFalls

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
He’s got 7 goals in his last 56 playoffs games (since 2014). I expect him to score goals and it just hasn’t been here. You just got 3 years where his production dipped during the playoffs (2015,2020,2021) With all the hype he gets around here I expect him to raise his game during the playoffs. People want him captain of this team but he can’t even step it up when it matters the most.

It’s no coincidence to me why Ducharme put him in a shutdown role. He’s not producing and even if he was given a more offensive role I doubt he would have produced. His shot selection is horrible, he has average speed and can barely make a pass. Nothing in his play currently indicates that he would produce in a more offensive role.

My point I was making with the PP comment is that at least he’s still getting some prime chances to produce. He’s been given some opportunities that his “offensive blackhole” line mates aren’t being given and he still can’t produce when he’s away from them.

I think you need to be a little more nuanced than simply looking at raw production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad