Breakthrough players for 2018-19 season

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Not that much of bouncing around the league, he was in Dynamo system for his whole pro career before moving to Torpedo with a season-long loan spell to hometown Togliatti. It's just that he could never quite crack Dynamo roster despite even being invited to play in EHT during the Lada loan spell.

Long story short, really good clapper but so-so defensively. A bit like Kulyash just not as fat and less defensive blunders. Last year was really his coming out party.

I think he started out in Lada’s system and then went to Dinamo.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think he started out in Lada’s system and then went to Dinamo.
As a 17 y.o. kid, yes.

Regarding Zernov, him, Belousov and Varfolomeyev are all in the same boat, he is doing best out of 3 so far.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Break out has no age restrictions, but I guess his break out was last season already.
I was thinking that too, but last year he was kinda forced into that situation due to a poor Lada roster, if can keep contributing on a strong Avangard team, that would be a proof of a legit break out, but yes you are probably correct

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
To me, probably THE breakout player of the year is Serebryakov. Others didn't make such a big impression quite yet. Sochi plays Arkhipov on a top line 17 minutes per game, he is someone who might break out if he grows into the role. Nikita Mikhailov also is an obvious one, the guy from nowhere is actually leading Sibir in scoring. Surely it also says a lot about Sibir but still.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thoughts on him?
Maybe even behind expecations. A year older Mikheev is leading the team in scoring a two years younger Manukian is three points behind. Zernov is definitely not a huge standout on the team. But that's what happens often to players coming from a bad teams where they were leaders. He has to adjust and get comfortable still I guess while a guy like Mikheev who is at home with Avangard is benefitting from the coaching style greatly. He is definitely a Hartley's kind of player.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
He wouldn’t be a breakout necessary, but I think Chudinov has a career year.

I honestly think SKA put shackles on him. They turned him into stay-at-home. He is more talented then what he has been so far. You could already see it towards the end of the season.

So far, so good for Chudinov.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He was a regular for Omsk next year, has pretty nice wheels. Can score some too, evidently. Has the same birthday as me too, must be a great player :sarcasm:

Frankly, more people should be directed to such career route. MHL > MHL/VHL split > KHL/VHL split > KHL. Other than being kicked from Omsk (not really his fault) he was moving on up his whole career, well done to the guy.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
He was a regular for Omsk next year, has pretty nice wheels. Can score some too, evidently. Has the same birthday as me too, must be a great player :sarcasm:

Frankly, more people should be directed to such career route. MHL > MHL/VHL split > KHL/VHL split > KHL. Other than being kicked from Omsk (not really his fault) he was moving on up his whole career, well done to the guy.

Career route sounds good, now the way Russians think - plyer didn't make the club in the KHL out of juniors and got an offer in VHL - he is done. Now all the corruption, the Rottenbergs, the Ivanyuzhenkovs, the Tretyak's, the Stepanov's of the world.....I wish it was just pure competition

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Career route sounds good, now the way Russians think - plyer didn't make the club in the KHL out of juniors and got an offer in VHL - he is done. Now all the corruption, the Rottenbergs, the Ivanyuzhenkovs, the Tretyak's, the Stepanov's of the world.....I wish it was just pure competition
Relax a bit. It is a competition. We have at least 3 or 4 players out of the VHL on our current championship team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
but it's not
Also reading through the Puljujarvi thread on the main boards I was thinking I wish we had this kind of problems with young top talent. Big part of it is not corruption and whatever you are suggesting. It's the players themselves never committing to that route. We'd be happy to have Lazarev, Khovanov, Sergachyov, Svvechnikovs and that's not all of them to go that route. Obviously we'd have some of them in the KHL at this point.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Also reading through the Puljujarvi thread on the main boards I was thinking I wish we had this kind of problems with young top talent. Big part of it is not corruption and whatever you are suggesting. It's the players themselves never committing to that route. We'd be happy to have Lazarev, Khovanov, Sergachyov, Svvechnikovs and that's not all of them to go that route. Obviously we'd have some of them in the KHL at this point.
I am not sure which rout you are talking about - if that's the route of maturing in your own league, and advancing to NA once you are all you can be in your domestic league - I might agree here, but not fully. We can't develop defensmen, not good at developing centers either. But you precisely know what I am talking about - is "blatnie" players making the teams over more talented kids on EVERY level, at times even KHL. Sense of entitlement, lack of competetiton for spots, idiotic foreign player limits and bluh, bluh, bluh

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I looked at Russians moving to CHL/USHL from 2008 to 2015 (the KHL era), still giving time those moving there after 2015. Total of 118 prospects moving to the CHL & another 29 prospects going to the USHL. Total of 147 guys, right? All of them, who are in the NHL now (not counting Yakupov, Grigorenko, Tolchinski etc)? A.Svechnikov, E.Svechnikov, Goldobin, Sergachov, I.Barbashev, Namestnikov, Scherbak, Zykov, Provorov, Zadorov. Total of 10 players or 6,8% has made it to the NHL. And only one player, Provorov, can be considered as a star. Remember? All moving to the CHL/USHL because it is a better league than KHL if you want to make the NHL roster.

Now, look at the KHL route. As of today, 19 Russians with long-term KHL experience being on an NHL team roster. Five of them being superstars - Kuznetsov, Panarin, Tarasenko, Vasilevski, Bobrovski. We can talk about Kucherov as a KHL system product.

Stats say that moving to the CHL/USHL is not the best option for a Russian. If you are good enough, you can play in the KHL until you are ready at 24-25y. No problem.

And I have not counted older guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, and even Radulov, who decided for the Russian route.

And it would be very interesting to compare contracts of those choosing the KHL/Russian route (Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Bobrovski to name a few) and Zykov´s and others. I am pretty sure the Zykov´s have higher paychecks than Kuznetov´s.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That's one team, ok CSKA may be...and we are talking teams that have MHL-VHL-KHL structure.
The KHL is quite complicated with that. Look how many AkBars players end up in Sochi nowadays. That intra-KHL relationships are part of the development ladder in a way.

I want more mobility there too. Players should get their chances in all 3 leagues and be moved if there is no place for them in a system. But that's in a perfect world.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am not sure which rout you are talking about - if that's the route of maturing in your own league, and advancing to NA once you are all you can be in your domestic league - I might agree here, but not fully. We can't develop defensmen, not good at developing centers either. But you precisely know what I am talking about - is "blatnie" players making the teams over more talented kids on EVERY level, at times even KHL. Sense of entitlement, lack of competetiton for spots, idiotic foreign player limits and bluh, bluh, bluh
Foreigner limit aside(that is a different story and I am stricktly pro limit and nothing will change it) that happens all over the world in some form. Just like the mentioned Larionov Jr.. It's human nature
You can't get rid of it completely, just reduce it to a tolerable level. Again it's perfect world against reality. Some guy knows a guy who has a son who is a prodigy, you have to look at him and all that. How many sons of former players get taken in the NHL draft just because of the name and before maybe better guys with no relation? In later rounds obviously, but still.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
The KHL is quite complicated with that. Look how many AkBars players end up in Sochi nowadays. That intra-KHL relationships are part of the development ladder in a way.

I want more mobility there too. Players should get their chances in all 3 leagues and be moved if there is no place for them in a system. But that's in a perfect world.

which is another example of something completely illegal going on in any normal aspect and sense of competition

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well credit where credits is due, Ak Bars probably has the best-functioning system regarding the minors.

Sochi basically takes all the players somebody else doesn't need - be it SKA, CSKA, Ak Bars or Loko, they will take them. I think it should be considered as their transfer policy at this point rather than something illegal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad