Breakout Season

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Will have to wait for round 1 playoff performance to see if a goalie wins this breakout award.

Any goalie who can crack top 20, heck maybe even top 30 as a no.1 and is fully healthy will have 40+ wins as a full-time no.1 for current state Leafs.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for the fresh topic. :thumbu:

I’m going Lilligren and Samsonov.
I see Lilligren as a solid top 4 and Samsonov as the starter before the season is out
I would say these are the most likely candidates as well.

Not sure I see Samsonov becoming the clear cut starter but could possibly see him starting to give us a glimpse at him starting to realize his potential. He will have some added motivation being discarded from the team that drafted him, looking for a new contract again and having a new (seemingly good) goalie coach helping correct what's wrong with his game. Can definitely see him having a bounce back season from last year.

Lilly shows excellent growth every year since being drafted and usually starts slow when advancing up levels. Keefe said as much about his time with the Marlies and he was one of the best D men in the AHL. I fully expect him to be a very solid top 4 guy starting this year.

I also believe that Engvall still has a higher level that he can reach. He has shown glimpses of offensive potential and I could possibly see him putting up 50 pts at some point in his career.

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
People have selective memory when it comes to Nylander. Nobody wants to remember Nylander put up 20 goals in 33 games before the world got turned upside down by covid
that is all anyone can remember. Funny you dont remember all the times he has bailed in games, he has never fit the bill that was advertised.

The season runs through Matthews. If he doesn't get 50, the leafs aren't going anywhere unless they go all kitty bar the door islanders on us.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
Someone we havent signed yet, who will play their way to the 2LW spot.
Evan Rod or Milano.
I could see Milano really meshing well with the younger guys, and his playmaking and decent finishing ability could be really fun in the top 6.
Rod is obviously the much more rounded guy, but breakout status would be harder to achieve.

My money is on Milano taking a 1 year show me deal at this point, and him being told he will be in the top 6 with Matthews, Marner or Tavares - Nylander will entice him to come. He has + expected goals diff , + corsi and + Corsi Rel both of the last two years on not great teams. He becomes a 20G, 35A, 55P guy and then moves to greener pastures.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Really think it is going to be Samsonov. New goalie coach can do wonders for a goalie and he has the pedigree being a former first round pick. He was tending in the right direction until last season so hopefully he can work out the kinks and get his head on right.

Well worth the gamble for me…

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Liljegren.

He’s taken massive strides in a short period of time with Gio.

Imagine a whole training camp and season of continuous play?

Hoping Samsonov comes in and takes the starting goalie job. I have no faith in Murray in the least. If Samsonov can’t push the bar upwards, I have real concerns about our goaltending next year, so go Samsonov!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00