Breakout Season

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Wait, 2019? 2018-2019 was Tavares-Marner chemistry if I recall (feel free to correct me, I may not remember) and 2019-2020 Tavares dropped off significantly and Nylander had 59 points. What magic are you thinking of? If anything, last season was Tavares' and Nylander's best season together.
But what new player will make us better?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
dont do my boy James Reimer dirty like that.

for the love of god robertson just dont get hurt, make the team and put up like 30-40 points, il be very happy
Non of those guys were a help at winning. They were never established stars. Is there no one in our organization who can be the next real impact this year.
Reimer, Raycroft, Berier are old news. What about NOW!

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
If the Leafs trade Holl to become cap compliant (or simply want to improve :wg:) , and Sandin remains unsigned as RFA then there would be an opening on D.

Remember how Tomas Kaberle a later round pick burst on the scene in the past, as a smaller skilled Euro player that ended up being the talk of training camp and coming out of nowhere, and becaome a breakout candidate out of nowhere.

Well Niemela coming off his recent WJC, will be in game form might surprise at Leafs camp and is the only RHD shooting Dman other than Liljegren and Holl that play on their natural right side.

Here's to hoping :5: that history might be repeating itself. Niemela either makes the Leafs or returns to Finland under contract there.

"Play the Kids" ..
Play to win a Stanley.
Niemela is a good thought. Never crossed my mind. He would be a big help. We could stop fooling around with Sandin.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Non of those guys were a help at winning. They were never established stars. Is there no one in our organization who can be the next real impact this year.
Reimer, Raycroft, Berier are old news. What about NOW!

the best goalie in the world wouldnt have helped the toronto teams win from 2010-2015. in 15/16, reimer had a save % of .918 - pretty dang good - and he was 11-12-7. Nazem Kadri and PA Parenteu lead the team in scoring.. with 45 and 41 points respectively lol.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
We sink or swim on one of the tenders breaking out this season, one to former glory or the other living up to potential, but if neither breaks out we are dead on arrival this season, so it's not a hope. Its a damn must one of them breaks out for us.

Also Tavares, focusing on speed this off-season, I have very high hopes he gives us one more all-star season this year, 40+ goals 80+ points, Nylander comes on strong as well.

Dark horse being Lily truly coming into his own and being a force of nature out there.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm gonna go off the board here and say that the breakout season is coming from the team they call the Toronto Maple Leafs. It's rare for this much talent to be kept off the scoreboard for this long, this is the year it finally ends and we go deep in the playoffs.

GLG!!

If MM scores 35 and 90 assists, would that be consider a breakout?
I like the way you think. :)

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
the best goalie in the world wouldnt have helped the toronto teams win from 2010-2015. in 15/16, reimer had a save % of .918 - pretty dang good - and he was 11-12-7. Nazem Kadri and PA Parenteu lead the team in scoring.. with 45 and 41 points respectively lol.
Ok,ok,ok. So Reims is your bro....but who is breaking thru in 22/23 to make us better.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
If MM scores 35 and 90 assists, would that be consider a breakout?
No wonder 67 is our last. Tiger Williams retired as you may have heard. MM is a star now.
Neimela could be our newest star, now that would help us by adding to our team.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I'll go with Sandin. He has a raw nhl.com stats 40 point , 160 hit season in him if he's full time when the off-season is complete.

Reactions: arso40

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I would love to see Engval develop a mean streak. He could be an absolute beast if he had grit/nastiness.

He is the very definition of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If they’re keeping Nylander it’d be good if he had a breakout year.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Is the thinking Niemela has a chance to make the team?
From my understanding Neimela is playing in Europe all year and may come over at the end. Personally I don’t burn the year and have in the AHL for the remainder. Could see him be our bottom pairing guy with an experienced vet.

Reactions: ACC1224

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Samsonov is a great pick. He is full of potential, and has yet to establish himself. I think a breakout season is totally possible for him.

The only times the Leafs have had a 25 year old goalie with this kind of upside since the 90s was Bernier and Raycroft. That's pretty sad for three decades. I know how Bernier and Razor turned out, but that's not the point. The point is it's a possibility that the Leafs have almost never had in recent memory. A young starter who can anchor the team for more than just 3 or 4 years, if it all works out.
Don't forget Rask, Pogge, and Potvin

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Robertson: If he can slow the adrenaline flow, like Lanny McDonald did in year 3, he'll score 20+ with Tavares and Marner/Nylander.
Liljegren: A continuation of the growth and impact he displayed last year where, from December on, I saw him have 'his best game in the NHL' at least every month. I'm hoping to see him at 20 min per night + by December.

Engvall and Samsonov would be my dark horses. For Pierre it would require a change towards using his physical tools to dominate less gifted opponents. Ilya...I find 'tenders' hard to quantify/qualify...I suppose I would argue that when he enters the net he provides the team with enough confidence that they play the way they are capable of playing as opposed to playing safe. A .910+ SV%, I guess, but it would be more than just numbers, it would be how the numbers are achieved.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If Liljegren and Samsonov break out, that would put us into the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: