Breakout Season

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Is there any one in the Leaf organization that could gave a breakout year in 22/23.
Maybe last yr we could say Bunting did. He was strong influencer for most of the campaign.
Is Robertson good enough to go from prospect to major contributor?
Maybe Lily could develope to be a major impact dman?
Anderson....I think not

This team needs a new contributor, but do we have one capable?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is there any one in the Leaf organization that could gave a breakout year in 22/23.
Maybe last yr we could say Bunting did. He was strong influencer for most of the campaign.
Is Robertson good enough to go from prospect to major contributor?
Maybe Lily could develope to be a major impact dman?
Anderson....I think not

This team needs a new contributor, but do we have one capable?
Thanks for the fresh topic. :thumbu:

I’m going Lilligren and Samsonov.
I see Lilligren as a solid top 4 and Samsonov as the starter before the season is out

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Robertson is still a bit far out. His next goal is to stay on skates when he battles along the board, then he can move towards breaking out.

The breakout will come from JT-Nylander re-finding their 2019 chemistry

Wait, 2019? 2018-2019 was Tavares-Marner chemistry if I recall (feel free to correct me, I may not remember) and 2019-2020 Tavares dropped off significantly and Nylander had 59 points. What magic are you thinking of? If anything, last season was Tavares' and Nylander's best season together.

Reactions: Uncus13

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Wait, 2019? 2018-2019 was Tavares-Marner chemistry if I recall (feel free to correct me, I may not remember) and 2019-2020 Tavares dropped off significantly and Nylander had 59 points. What magic are you thinking of? If anything, last season was Tavares' and Nylander's best season together.
December 2019 to until covid ended the season. Nylander was on absolute fire right up there with matthews and pasta in goal scoring. JT was doing all the dirty work allowing him to thrive

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
December 2019 to until covid ended the season. Nylander was on absolute fire right up there with matthews and pasta in goal scoring. JT was doing all the dirty work allowing him to thrive

Could have sworn it was Marner/Tavares that year (Marner's 94 point season that got him the big payday and Tavares' 47 goal season). I'm probably wrong.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
People have selective memory when it comes to Nylander. Nobody wants to remember Nylander put up 20 goals in 33 games before the world got turned upside down by covid

In general, not taking a shot at the guy you replied to.

Reactions: arso40

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I will go with Nylander. It is more likely he breaks out as the next 100 point player in the NHL alongside the revamped JT than it is likely any of the depth guys break out like Bunting.

I understand there's more ways to define breaking out but I'm choosing the most exciting one.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Thanks for the fresh topic. :thumbu:

I’m going Lilligren and Samsonov.
I see Lilligren as a solid top 4 and Samsonov as the starter before the season is out

Samsonov is a great pick. He is full of potential, and has yet to establish himself. I think a breakout season is totally possible for him.

The only times the Leafs have had a 25 year old goalie with this kind of upside since the 90s was Bernier and Raycroft. That's pretty sad for three decades. I know how Bernier and Razor turned out, but that's not the point. The point is it's a possibility that the Leafs have almost never had in recent memory. A young starter who can anchor the team for more than just 3 or 4 years, if it all works out.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Samsonov is a great pick. He is full of potential, and has yet to establish himself. I think a breakout season is totally possible for him.

The only times the Leafs have had a 25 year old goalie with this kind of upside since the 90s was Bernier and Raycroft. That's pretty sad for three decades. I know how Bernier and Razor turned out, but that's not the point. The point is it's a possibility that the Leafs have almost never had in recent memory. A young starter who can anchor the team for more than just 3 or 4 years, if it all works out.
dont do my boy James Reimer dirty like that.

for the love of god robertson just dont get hurt, make the team and put up like 30-40 points, il be very happy

• Haha
Reactions: exporta and banks

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Robertson I guess. A ppg in the AHL at 20 is a springboard year most of the time. A good summer of training with his brother and a decent camp and I think he can do it. He isnt an explosive skater or a shifty wisp of smoke like Marner so makes sense he would need to get stronger and a.little quicker to make the jump. He needs the big camp to get his shot though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good question tough to answer because of limited choices.

Matthews, Marner and Nylander all had career years last season.

Last year Bunting age 26 after 6 years in the AHL, putting up 65 points beside Matty and Mitch would have qualified, as would Ilya Mikheyev who had 21 goals in 53 games or maybe Jack Campbell who never appeared in more than 30 games in a season prior played in 49 games winning 31 and being named to the NHL ALL-Star game carrying Leafs to their best 115 point season with 2.64 GAA & 0.914 sv with 5 shutouts.

So what are the options ?

Ilya Samsonov is only 25 years old coming off a 44 game season winning 23 with a 3.02 GAA & 0.896 sv%, so if he posts Campbell 's from last year is that a breakout or bounce back season?

Could be a Marlie with most likely Nic Robertson if he wins a NHL job, particularly if he ends up on 2nd line. Since turning pro after his 2019-20 season he has contributed 1 goal a 1 assist at NHL level. So establishing himself as an NHL regular and contributing would certainly qualify, He seems like the best of Leafs current available (with Matthew Knies returning to school) prospects to potentially break through.

With the departure of Lyubushkin and the re-signing of Liljegren to his new deal coming off a 61 games 5 goals 23 point season seems primed to put in a full year as a regular and a candidate for breakout particularly if he plays in the top 4 regularly and hold his own defensively.

Is Topi Niemela the Leafs new Tomas Kaberle?

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Good question tough to answer because of limited choices.

Matthews, Marner and Nylander all had career years last season.

Last year Bunting age 26 after 6 years in the AHL, putting up 65 points beside Matty and Mitch would have qualified, as would Ilya Mikheyev who had 21 goals in 53 games or maybe Jack Campbell who never appeared in more than 30 games in a season prior played in 49 games winning 31 and being named to the NHL ALL-Star game carrying Leafs to their best 115 point season with 2.64 GAA & 0.914 sv with 5 shutouts.

So what are the options ?

Ilya Samsonov is only 25 years old coming off a 44 game season winning 23 with a 3.02 GAA & 0.896 sv%, so if he posts Campbell 's from last year is that a breakout or bounce back season?

Could be a Marlie with most likely Nic Robertson if he wins a NHL job, particularly if he ends up on 2nd line. Since turning pro after his 2019-20 season he has contributed 1 goal a 1 assist at NHL level. So establishing himself as an NHL regular and contributing would certainly qualify, He seems like the best of Leafs current available (with Matthew Knies returning to school) prospects to potentially break through.

With the departure of Lyubushkin and the re-signing of Liljegren to his new deal coming off a 61 games 5 goals 23 point season seems primed to put in a full year as a regular and a candidate for breakout particularly if he plays in the top 4 regularly and hold his own defensively.

Is Topi Niemela the Leafs new Tomas Kaberle?
Is the thinking Niemela has a chance to make the team?

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is the thinking Niemela has a chance to make the team?
If the Leafs trade Holl to become cap compliant (or simply want to improve :wg:) , and Sandin remains unsigned as RFA then there would be an opening on D.

Remember how Tomas Kaberle a later round pick burst on the scene in the past, as a smaller skilled Euro player that ended up being the talk of training camp and coming out of nowhere, and becaome a breakout candidate out of nowhere.

Well Niemela coming off his recent WJC, will be in game form might surprise at Leafs camp and is the only RHD shooting Dman other than Liljegren and Holl that play on their natural right side.

Here's to hoping :5: that history might be repeating itself. Niemela either makes the Leafs or returns to Finland under contract there.

"Play the Kids" ..

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If the Leafs trade Holl to become cap compliant (or simply want to improve :wg:) , and Sandin remains unsigned as RFA then there would be an opening on D.

Remember how Tomas Kaberle a later round pick burst on the scene in the past, as a smaller skilled Euro player that ended up being the talk of training camp and coming out of nowhere, and becaome a breakout candidate out of nowhere.

Well Niemela coming off his recent WJC, will be in game form might surprise at Leafs camp and is the only RHD shooting Dman other than Liljegren and Holl that play on their natural right side.

Here's to hoping :5: that history might be repeating itself. Niemela either makes the Leafs or returns to Finland under contract there.

"Play the Kids" ..
Sure that would be great but I imagine they have a development plan for him and would stick to that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Joseph Woll emerges midseason due to injuries of others, and steals the starters job.

Nick Robertson cements himself on the second line.

Malgin becomes solid depth.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Liljegren is my vote. I’d be ecstatic if he could be a solid top-4 with ~30 points. I think Niemelä could impress if he comes to training camp but I don’t think he’s ready to make an impact at the NHL level yet. Imo

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
People have selective memory when it comes to Nylander. Nobody wants to remember Nylander put up 20 goals in 33 games before the world got turned upside down by covid

In general, not taking a shot at the guy you replied to.\and his excuse for having the production ha has then?
why the production? If he gets 20 in 33 why not again? lazy lazy

all the FA on the team of course will have career years and sign somewhere else for the max lol..
Engvall the giraffe that skips

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Liljegren is my choice. His confidence should be high after last season and he has the comfort of a new contract. As an RD he can see the path to a greater role isn't exactly twisting it's way up Mount Everest nor is there a high end prospect nipping at his heels hoping to bump him down the lineup and into the press box. On top of that, he has the talent to make it happen
It really is the ideal situation for a young player to work hard and take the next step.

Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad