Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Ian Cole to 1-Year, $3M Deal

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He is fine vs tightchecking slower teams but playing him vs McDavid and co. is a disaster waiting to happen. I'd rather see them put in McWard at this point.

Reactions: Cucumber

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Cole was very solid in RD1 vs. Nashville. Obviously had a rough G1 this round, but thought he was largely fine yesterday until a somewhat unlucky own goal.

Tocc went with Soucy-Myers as the matchup pair and they got absolutely ventilated. That was the biggest problem. The adjustment will have to be Quinn-Hronek against the top unit.

He is fine vs tightchecking slower teams but playing him vs McDavid and co. is a disaster waiting to happen. I'd rather see them put in McWard at this point.
That's pretty ridiculous tbh.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only real choice they have in replacing Cole in the lineup is to go with Juulsen,.....which has a different set of risks. He tends to struggle when he gets back into the lineup after a lengthy absence.

But on the positive side, he skates better than Cole and is a fierce body-checker in his own zone. The way this series has taken on a mean, intimidating physicality, it's a trait they can use more of.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I just hope we can show we as Canuck fans are bigger than this.

After last game, I saw some very hateful comments about Skinner by Oiler fans.

Lets all realize Cole is an awesome human being, trying his hardest. Bouchard has a very hard shot and its a split second thing. Cole has been overall great leader for our team.

Please lets not be toxic "what have you done for me lately" type fans.

These are real people with feelings like ours. Nobody is more pissed than Cole about this you can be sure.

Its 1-1. The better team won. Lets kick some butt in game 3!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nobody is beating up on Ian Cole....but the fact is, he's a 35-year old-man who broke into the NHL in the 2010-11 season.

But it's not just about the age, but the mileage. The guy has played a ton of physical, intense playoff games, probably more than any guy on either of these teams. At this point in his career and his season, he needs a rest and re-set.

The only guy who apparently can't see it, or won't admit it, is Tocchet. The playoffs are all about making adjustments--not just with 'systems' but also with 'player personnel'.

Trying to get deep into the playoffs with the same lineup night after night, simply can't work imo.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
When he was signed, people would be ecstatic with the contributions he has made so far this season.

Let's all remember that, according to the rest of the hockey world, we shouldn't be playing hockey right now.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I don't really get the outrage. He was outstanding in the Nashville series and pretty decent in Game 2 against Edmonton, aside from the unlucky game winning goal. He had a terrible Game 1 but isn't the only Canucks d-man struggling in this series. There's also no long term impact - he was signed on a 1-year deal to add playoff experience, and that's exactly what he has provided.

Bowmanoid

May 12, 2024
For those who think Ian Cole was good in the Nashville series he was carried by the great play this postseason of Nikita Zadorov. He has been riding his coattails ever since they have been paired together. While he made a good pinch play in Game 4 OT of the Nashville series he did very little else but let Zadorov do his thing.

This series against Deadmonton Coilers he caused 3 goals by himself in Game 1 with the too many men penalty and allowing Hyman wide open in front of the net. Then the pass to nowhere on which led to the 2nd goal and then the constant screening of this goalies all season then led another puck to go off him for the 3rd goal.

I have not gotten into to the GWG own goal in Game 2 in OT which was mindnumbingly stupid and then in Game 3 I believe the last goal went off him while he was in front of the net yet again this guy does not get the memo. Tocchet needs to bench him ASAP before he does anymore damage because if we lose this series the COilers MVP will be Ian Cole. We need a RH defensemen to play that side anyway having 2 lefties never works out well historically so put in Juulson or Friedman anyone else at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad