Waived: Breaking: Hearing Rangers have waived Diaz, Megna.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
10 years of coaching a team, one that hasn't been a contender in years, and someone offered him 50 million dollars. So totally sure Babcock left because of a lack of team toffness :rolleyes:

Again....wolfy, pls.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Being physical is different than having useless goons on the team dragging down a line.

For most games, yes they are useless.

But there are certain types of games and situations where they are useful.

It's nice to have the option. You don't want to be stuck in a situation where you have no choice but to take hits and slashes without having someone be able to answer the bell.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The fact that the Red Wings are soft is the reason why they struggle and have a lot of injuries.

And the reason Babcock finally left..
Yeah, I'm sure it had everything to do with that, and nothing to do with the unprecedented contract he got.

And that would explain why Toronto loaded up on fighters this off-season. Oh wait, the opposite happened.

"One of the staples of Mike Babcock’s final few years in Detroit was the health of his team.

Specifically, the lack of it.

The Red Wings had 224 man games lost to injury last season, per the appropriately named website Man Games Lost. That was around the league average but, in ’13-14 — the year in which Detroit barely squeaked into the playoffs to keep its postseason streak alive — the Wings finished with the second-most man games lost in the NHL, with 421."

Where are you getting the idea that "the Red Wings are healthy" from? You gave a very specific example, I gave a very specific response.
I said the Red Wings were healthy last season. Like any other team, they'll have years when they are hit hard. Pittsburgh has been hit with injuries like no other team in recent years with all the fighters they've dressed.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The fact that the Red Wings are soft is the reason why they struggle and have a lot of injuries.

And the reason Babcock finally left..

Your ability to make things up rivals some of the other posters on this board.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Kings? Bruins?

It changes every year bud.

Skill is important. Physicality is important.

I don't see what there is to debate about.

If you walk into a hockey locker room and say "physical play is not important" they're gonna tell you to get the **** out.

We're in the same boat. I listed players that add to that physical component of our team, which is why I think it's ********* that people call this team soft. We have players add a physical component while also being able to play up-tempo, skilled hockey. Tanner Glass isn't one of them, and he shouldn't be kept on the roster over anyone when we only have 100k of cap space.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There's nobody actually arguing that physicality is useless and that we should ice a team of all small soff figure skaters or whatever nonsense. There's plenty arguing that Tanner Glass' "physicality" is not a net positive with his ****** hockey abilities. I'm all for physicality as long as the player isn't useless.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Kings? Bruins?

It changes every year bud.

Skill is important. Physicality is important.

I don't see what there is to debate about.

If you walk into a hockey locker room and say "physical play is not important" they're gonna tell you to get the **** out.

sure, but being all physical or all skill isn't going to cut it...

Glass as a player is much too one-dimensional...

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
There's nobody actually arguing that physicality is useless and that we should ice a team of all small soff figure skaters or whatever nonsense. There's plenty arguing that Tanner Glass' "physicality" is not a net positive with his ****** hockey abilities. I'm all for physicality as long as the player isn't useless.

Exactly this.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

He is useless in 85% of the games, I agree.

But there are certain games, especially in the regular season, where it is nice to have him there.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
The thing about Tanner Glass is not only can he not play hockey, but he doesn't intimidate ANYONE. He's not a deterrent out there at all. Boogaard and Orr were deterrents, Glass is not. We saw that very clearly last year when teams talked about trying to drop the gloves or beat us up and no one would.

I'd say our track record, along with Chicago's over the past few years proves that the kind of toughness Glass is supposed to bring isn't necessary for success anymore. Is it nice to have, sure. If you have a guy like Lucic that can play and bring it, it's an advantage, but purposely dressing a guy who is just an awful hockey player to fill a void that he's not even that great at filling is pathetic and absolutely blind coaching.

I really like AV, but this Glass thing needs to end. It's absurd. He hindered our team last year and he's doing it again. Glass shouldn't even be practicing with our guys at this point.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Glass' last year with the pens he suited up for 67 games (one more than last year with the Rangers) and they led the league in man games lost. Physicality, why hast thou forsaken us?

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Glad to see you popping up in threads again, 31. Missed your rationality around here.

Guy 1 calls the Red Wings one of the healthiest teams in the NHL the last few years.

Guy 2 posts the amount of man games lost. Red Wings were about 15th last year in terms of man games lost and 29th the year before

Guy 1 is rational

:shakehead

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
The thing about Tanner Glass is not only can he not play hockey, but he doesn't intimidate ANYONE. He's not a deterrent out there at all. Boogaard and Orr were deterrents, Glass is not. We saw that very clearly last year when teams talked about trying to drop the gloves or beat us up and no one would.

I'd say our track record, along with Chicago's over the past few years proves that the kind of toughness Glass is supposed to bring isn't necessary for success anymore. Is it nice to have, sure. If you have a guy like Lucic that can play and bring it, it's an advantage, but purposely dressing a guy who is just an awful hockey player to fill a void that he's not even that great at filling is pathetic and absolutely blind coaching.

I really like AV, but this Glass thing needs to end. It's absurd. He hindered our team last year and he's doing it again. Glass shouldn't even be practicing with our guys at this point.

I don't think Tim Gleason will fight him again.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Guy 1 calls the Red Wings one of the healthiest teams in the NHL the last few years.

Guy 2 posts the amount of man games lost. Red Wings were about 15th last year in terms of man games lost and 29th the year before

Guy 1 is rational

:shakehead
Learn to read better, Guy 2.

Wolfy*

Gorton wants two fighters on this team. He knows it's necessary. End of discussion.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Gorton wants two fighters on this team. He knows it's necessary. End of discussion.

Eh, I don't know about that.

I just think in some games it's going to be nice to just have 1 of them in the lineup, not necessarily both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->