TV: Breaking Bad

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Walt was a ***** for most of his life. Everyone loved him sure but he was the butt of all jokes. Then when death seemed imminent he became a ruthless dictator like Castro. I don't condone Walt's behavior but it made for great TV. Skylar was great at her role but she was a buzzkilling *****. She had her own baggage and always pinned Walt as the bad guy. She did nothing herself to stop things. She's just as guilty as Walt.

I hate the ending because it ended lol. But I feel like the show could have continued. We assume Walt is dead but you don't know. That's a good ending when you have some form of suspense I suppose though.

Flashback scenes of Walt told a different story. In the classroom with Gretchen and when he 1st bought the house..

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Flashback scenes of Walt told a different story. In the classroom with Gretchen and when he 1st bought the house..

Sure but compare him to a dude like Hank. First episode Hank just steals his glass of beer. Here is Walt this scrawny dude who seems rather nice and everyone at the party probably adores him but they aren't scared of him. He has a decent job ad does right for his family. There's no dangers or excitement in his life. Then there's Hank trying to bust drug lords. He's kind of jacked in a way you suppose, his career has some danger potential but nobody would think of messing with him. Not saying Walt had no ability to be a dick or anything but most would probably chalk it up to a bad day or whatever. I mean who would intimidate you more? A guy like Mike, Hank or Walt based on first impression? Walt wouldn't scare me much at all as he first appears but truth is those who seem the least scary can be the most scary. Walt was the biggest tough guy on the show arguably. Unless you want to argue Jack and his thugs but he got them back in the end.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Season 5 was a let down from Season 4, at least IMO... although many people rank it as the best I guess since it was the last. It was good, but I really wasn't as into it until the last few episodes.

Oh I don't think it was amazing but it was better than I was expecting beforehand.

Personally I like 4, 3, 5, 2, 1. Three and four were the best though easily.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Malcolm in the middle was trash

I actually liked it later on. I think I watched season one and two as they were but may have missed a couple of episodes because it was a Sunday FOX show and anything on FOX Sunday is hard to follow because with football nothing airs on time it seems and I believe it was in the 7 or 7:30 timeslot(much like King of The Hill used to be) I thought it was kinda lame and Cranston to me came off as a pansy and at times would have that high pitched squeal. I don't think he was horrendous in it in the later seasons as I watched years later but its still so hard for me to believe Malcolm's dad played Walter White. I can't imagine he was the first choice for the role. I think I heard somewhere they were actually really interested in Matthew Broderick.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I feel like season 5 was better than I expected. When season 4 ended I was like what's the ****ing point. Hank has it figured out, what's left? But season 5 wasn't actually that horrendous.

Season 5 was a let down from Season 4, at least IMO... although many people rank it as the best I guess since it was the last. It was good, but I really wasn't as into it until the last few episodes.

I liked S5 a lot because it showed how "life goes on" from all points of view. We have our main story, sure, but that only involves certain characters. The rest, and what happens otherwise than just between those characters, is interesting to see. Of course, seeing the new predicaments that arose every/every other episode was great. Awaiting the culmination of everything and for some loose strings to possibly be tied up, the suspense was great.

I've always had such thoughts for TV shows and movies, about what happens "elsewhere" while we're watching the main story. Most often we don't see it, which is fine as we're watching a specific story, but I can't help but wonder about what else goes on. To take that further, and probably too far, I'd be very interested to watch what happens in Albuquerque post-Walt/Gus/Cartel/etc.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I watched Breaking Bad for the first time this summer. The two biggest villains on the show are Walt and his wife, by far. Walt for doing all the things he did, and his wife for being the a hypocritical POS who hated her husband for being a drug lord but laundered his money anyway, while having an affair with her boss.

Walt is evil but so is Skyler.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I watched Breaking Bad for the first time this summer. The two biggest villains on the show are Walt and his wife, by far. Walt for doing all the things he did, and his wife for being the a hypocritical POS who hated her husband for being a drug lord but laundered his money anyway, while having an affair with her boss.

This is way over simplifing it and your timelines are a little off

Walt was never slated as the protagonist. Those are actually Jesse and Hank.

Skyler's affair was largely because of lack of attention and honesty from Walt . It really started as a way to get Walt out of the house.
Skyler was pulled in to the criminal world by her boss, where she also realizes that she is good at it
Skyler didn't start laundering Walt'a money until after her affair with Beneke was over.
By the time we hit Season 5, Sky is as ruthless as Walt.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

You might want to watch again.

She cheated but after she had been lied to countless times by Walt. Trust is a major issue in a marriage and I think she was just done with him at that point.

I love her character because you see all the phases she goes through in the show.

Suspicion
Rebellion
Distrust
Compliance

until she basically has a nervous break down. She never asked for Walt to commit criminal acts to support his family. In the end she ended up with nothing and the DEA on her ass, whether Jr. got his money is another story. Walt could have spent the time from when he was diagnosed with cancer to the end in a much different way but he didn't. He felt slighted and undervalued.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Well said! ,especially this part
[
QUOTE=HawksFan74;135116441]
I love her character because you see all the phases she goes through in the show.

Suspicion
Rebellion
Distrust
Compliance
[/quote]

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Watched it last summer. Now im by "Better call Saul".

But weren't there any rumors about bringing back Breaking bad?

People in Hollywood can be very creative. They resurrected Bobby Ewing, so it could be not difficult to do it with Walt.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
This is way over simplifing it and your timelines are a little off

Walt was never slated as the protagonist. Those are actually Jesse and Hank.

Skyler's affair was largely because of lack of attention and honesty from Walt . It really started as a way to get Walt out of the house.
Skyler was pulled in to the criminal world by her boss, where she also realizes that she is good at it
Skyler didn't start laundering Walt'a money until after her affair with Beneke was over.
By the time we hit Season 5, Sky is as ruthless as Walt.

I think Skyler's affair happened because it is the ONLY way she could hurt Walt. She even said in that one scene she can't do anything to him so she'll be compliant while she waits for his cancer to come back and kill him.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Skyler is evil in the sense that she plays the victim when she's just as guilty as Walt. She wasn't just being compliant when she laundered Walt's money. Part of her wanted it. She never admits that it was her fault for Ted's accident. She is a criminal and she wouldn't admit it to herself.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Skylar tried to strongarm Ted into not getting into legal trouble, which would have gotten back to her and Walt. Ted was the moron who wouldn't pay his taxes even when given the money to do so.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
this show always sucks me back in. I watched a random episode of season 3 about a week ago. then, just had to watch the rest of them over the last week :P

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Skylar tried to strongarm Ted into not getting into legal trouble, which would have gotten back to her and Walt. Ted was the moron who wouldn't pay his taxes even when given the money to do so.

Of course she was trying to steer herself and Walt clear from the feds, but she coerced Ted into accepting the money. Skyler was willing to help Ted in his scheme.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Started re-watching about two weeks ago. It's crazy how much I've hated Walt since the beginning knowing how everything goes down, yet I still can't stand Skylar either :laugh:

Interestingly, I'm almost done with season 3 and I really don't get where people are coming from calling this a greatest tv show of all time. I thought it was up there when I first watched it, but since then I've watched shows like The Sopranos and The Wire and it doesn't even come close to the quality.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Of course she was trying to steer herself and Walt clear from the feds, but she coerced Ted into accepting the money. Skyler was willing to help Ted in his scheme.

Skylar wanted Ted to pay his taxes...

Ted gets free money, and then decides not to pay the taxes anyway.

That is not a huge indictment when comparing it to a homicidal meth cook.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Honestly, how much do you hate women if you say that Skyler was as ruthless/guilty as Walt? You know he actually killed the ones standing in his way. Poisoning a kid and letting his "friends" girlfriend die. And of course being a "drug lord".

Skyler cheated and laundered money...

First time I watched Breaking Bad I admit I didn't like Skyler, in ways I figured she was boring, *****y and stood in the way of Heisenberg.
Second time I watched it a couple of years later, she grew a lot as a charachter and I realized she coped the best way she could. Also realizing that Heisenberg was a psychopath and not a hero...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Skylar wanted Ted to pay his taxes...

Ted gets free money, and then decides not to pay the taxes anyway.

That is not a huge indictment when comparing it to a homicidal meth cook.

Of course not. Ted is a moron who almost got both Skyler and Walt behind the bars.

Honestly, how much do you hate women if you say that Skyler was as ruthless/guilty as Walt? You know he actually killed the ones standing in his way. Poisoning a kid and letting his "friends" girlfriend die. And of course being a "drug lord".

Skyler cheated and laundered money...

First time I watched Breaking Bad I admit I didn't like Skyler, in ways I figured she was boring, *****y and stood in the way of Heisenberg.
Second time I watched it a couple of years later, she grew a lot as a charachter and I realized she coped the best way she could. Also realizing that Heisenberg was a psychopath and not a hero...

Far too quick to judge me. She was the victim at first when Walt started his business and became a terrible husband. Of course Walt is way more evil, but Skyler is the second most evil character in the show for sure. Her initial reaction to learning Walt is a drug dealer was the right one, she tried to push him out of her life. But then, seeing it wasn't working, she not only accepted him back but encouraged him to keep going by laundering his money and offering all the support he needed to pursue his activities. Then, **** hits the fan and she plays the victim, as if she had nothing to do with Walt's meth business.

Skyler became evil the moment she decided to encourage Walt in his activities. I don't see how misogyny has anything to do with this. Hell, a lot of women agree with the sentiment that Skyler is evil.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Far too quick to judge me. She was the victim at first when Walt started his business and became a terrible husband. Of course Walt is way more evil, but Skyler is the second most evil character in the show for sure.

giphy.gif

Breaking Bad is a show that featured drug cooks, drug dealers, murderers, peddlers, and overall terrible people who did terrible things because they simply were terrible?

If you find her greatest offense is to help launder money for the father of her children, then you are not doing a very good job of putting her close to the same evilness of Walter White or a large number of other characters in the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad