TV: Breaking Bad

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I recently finished watching Breaking Bad

Last Thursday, to be precise. Upon doing so I obviously went looking for a thread on my chief means of entertainment discussion, HFBoards, to read up on the opinions of names I recognise and leave my own. Sadly, unlike The Wire's thread which devolved into debate on the show and on various topics relating to the show, all the threads were relative GDTs of when it first aired. And they're all closed. And all hideously congratulatory.

So, if you will now indulge me, I will at great length attempt to explain why Breaking Bad is such a truly horrific television creation, and how the praise lavished on it by so many is so mis-placed and unjustified.

As far as my frame of reference regarding TV shows goes, it's quite limited. Off the top of my head the only things qualifying as "drama" I've ever watched that contained any continuous storylines there's this, The Wire, Lost, Breaking Bad and (as of Friday,) The Sopranos. As such my ability to objectively view and judge what I see is hindered in that I compare what I see to what little I've seen, and what I've enjoyed. I will come to the rating comparisons to such shows later, but I want to try and view Breaking Bad on its own terms as much as possible. Then I can add in the killer blow of outlining how it is so brutally inferior to The Wire by every measure possible.

Going into Breaking Bad I had a very vague idea of what it was about. Man is diagnosed with cancer, man cooks meth to pay for cancer treatment. That summed up pretty much all I knew about it. Come to think of it, that pretty much sums up all that happens in it. Something that occurred to me as I was about halfway through it, very little actually happens in episodes. From what I read on here some people found problems with the pacing of the show, I never did, in the immediacy of watching it. Thinking about it afterwards is what created my problem, as the realisation that I was seeing something easily surmised in a few sentences dawned on me.

Really, the shallowness of the whole thing is my first problem. There's what, ten characters in this that have any serious effect on anything? Walter, Skyler, Walter Jr., Gus, Mike, Jesse, Saul, Hank, Marie. Even then they can all broadly be grouped together as serving the same purpose. The Whites, the Schraders, then all the drug people. There's so few characters and such overlap between them and their social circles that they all sort of meld into one, becoming extremely uninteresting. Now, a small cast is fine, that isn't a problem in itself. You could call it a focus of... well, focus. The viewer's focus. This show is about 'these' people so we will see all of 'these' people. The problem comes when the people you are depicting are little more than extreme parodies, caricatures, of the emotions that they feel. Like a sitcom that's been on too long from the very start of this show any pretence of subtlety is abandoned to make the characters fit into very rigidly defined roles. This is fine if any of them were to show any sort of meaningful development as the show goes on but, they don't.

Before you say Walter does, no, he doesn't. The only development he experiences is getting worse, becoming more of a self-absorbed ********. In the beginning there is some justification for his actions. He wants to cook meth to get money for his treatment, to keep his family cared for when he inevitably dies, great. About the most honourable variety of drug dealing there is. Except we quickly learn that the true motivation goes beyond the cancer, that for years a festering resentment at everything in the world built up to lead him to where he was. An undoubtedly brilliant chemistry mind, his chance at fame and riches was squandered by his family. His son being born meant he had to abandon his plans for his company to provide for his family. Now admittedly here there is an irony in that he does eventually get to put his ability and his intelligence to work to provide for his family, only on a brutally illegal and immoral way, and after he's guaranteed to die. With this in mind, he's still a clown. When he teams up with Jesse there's a very strict duality put in place marking the two of them as opposites - Walter as the reasoned, logical thinking operator and Jesse as the immature, emotional moron. Except, Walter's rage completely belies all of this. When he blows up Tuco's joint, when he punched that tissue dispenser, when he's faced with some problem he can't immediately formulate a solution to and goes into a mad rage, when he eventually goes on the run and then phones Skyler and calls her all the names under the sun, his adorable I AM THE DANGER speech which seems to have struck the hearts of so many, it never ends. Then there's the other side where he just goes full sociopath. Watching Jane die. Poisoning the kid Brock. Telling Jesse about both of these. Forcing his son to get drunk and vomit everywhere. Making Jesse kill Gale to save his own ass. I understand that the escalation of Walter's antics show how far he gets sucked into the world he's in, but there comes a point where you just watch the culmination of this man's actions existing in him and find yourself failing to justify anything he does. There are ways to achieve his goals in the meth business without the pettiness, the spite, the brutality of what he does. Any belief I had in his motivation being good for what he did vanished when he watched Jane die. Not that I thought her especially important or special, that was the first time I did remember him doing something deliberately to **** over and manipulate someone he needed. Without Jesse, he has no in to the meth business, no channel of making money. And here he is, repaying Jesse by making him even more subservient to him. The legitimacy of Walter's character, literally the character that he assumes, is particularly unbelievable. As mentioned, his "I AM THE DANGER" moment and any others where he's bragging to Skyler about how big and dangerous he is are quickly undermined by someone much more dangerous than he is making him **** himself. Again, this is probably deliberate to undermine him and show how truly out of control of his surroundings he is, but it's never done effectively enough to make me feel any sympathy or empathy for what he goes through, and just makes him look like a dick.

What truly encapsulates how bad Walter is as a character however comes when he kills Mike. Admittedly, him crying on the phone to Skyler while acting the hard man is a close second but in killing Mike, all of Walter's extremely wooden character traits are exposed. Mike tells him pretty much every accurate complaint I have about Walter and his actions. Mike, in the midst of being about to leave with all his ends tied up, a free out of this world, a secure future for his granddaughter, officially better than Walter since he is both achieving what Walter wants (and can't get) and is able to beat Walter in a fight, tells Walter what he doesn't want to admit. Walter's rage then immediately rears its head as he kills Mike in the same cowardly way he did everything else described. He literally flounces off like a petulant child, his "I'll show you I will!!!" actions being compounded as he kills his superior with no thought. His façade of being the calm, the logical = shattered.

Handily, this sort of contradiction is where we can also see where Breaking Bad fails in its ability to depict believable or engaging characters or events. Aside from the contradictions between the character's detailed tropes and their executed tropes, in the very last episode, it still tries to reinforce these. As Jesse leaves the Nazi compound (and by the way, who the **** where these lunatics? Christ. But more on the complete waste of time that was S5 later) he starts screaming as his car speeds up, wildly celebrating as he's free. Cue immediate cut to Walter close up, silent, and still. Yes, Jesse was the wild one and Walter the calm. That's why Jesse, when they split the first time, managed to get his life into some sort of deranged order, and put his accumulated knowledge to use, while Walter went the path of Wile E. Coyote and came up with increasingly mad schemes to solve his problems, ending with blowing up Gus and Senor Ding Dong. The point here is, it's ********. The depictions the show gives us, forces upon us, of these characters, are false. They're wrong. Everything they do, everything that happens as a result of what they do, contradicts what they're supposed to be. This is the mark of something which is bad.

Now, regarding character development, for such a centralised show, there really isn't much. Consider Marie. We see early on that she's a kleptomaniac, she has a past of stealing things and is apparently incapable of handling it. Yet, as soon as it appears, it's gone. Fine, she's not the focus of the show, but why have this character who's going to play an important role in the whole thing with this massively defining trait and offer no justification for it? Same goes with Hank. When he gets shot and becomes bedridden and cranky I think "ah, we'll see what really makes him tick here." He shouts at his wife (their relationship was much more interesting than Walter/Skyler) and buys some loads of rocks. Then from one episode to the next he goes from needing help and rails to walk five feet to being able to go places on his own. Nothing else offered. Great. What's the deal with the rocks? Even as he buys them we don't see him doing anything in detail with them, he just has loads of them. Then when he can walk again, there's no mention of them anymore. Then consider Jesse, post-rehab. He shaves his head and starts living in something resembling a scene from Caligula. He starts throwing money around - literally. Then it all goes away. No explanation, no justification shown for it. It doesn't affect him as a character, it doesn't develop him in any way. Why is it there? Why should I care? The only good recurring thing with Jesse is his strange allure to vulnerable children, which in his own child-like way seems to be an attempt at redeeming himself for the failures in his own life. But then, these never take any sort of precedence, and playing video games with a kid once isn't really a positive development for anyone involved. In terms of effective character development there's what I mentioned with Walter and his scientific background, Gus is quite good as we see why he got into the meth business but them aside, all the main characters as we see their growth, it's a pisspoor explanation of how these pisspoor characters got to where they are. Fitting, I suppose.

When Breaking Bad was originally shown and was at the height of its fame I tried to ignore it as much as possible. I didn't care, I wasn't watching it, and was annoyed at people talking about it. What did manage to permeate my defense however was a name. Skyler. And a common sentiment, that she was some sort of female dog. This was something that stuck with me as I watched, waiting for it to manifest itself. Except... it never did. At all. Skyler White is the only redeeming quality about Breaking Bad, the only thing to exist with a shred of realism, to act with any reason, to emerge with any dignity. While to begin with she seems... busy-bodied, it's not surprising. Walter is an atrocious liar, whenever he gave it "I do not have a second cellphone!" or similar I imagined Joey Tribbiani talking about raccoons. I can't blame her, for her reactions to him then. Then when she finds out her husband is cooking and distributing meth? With her sister married to a DEA agent? What exactly is she supposed to do in this situation, with one vulnerable child existing and another along shortly? Some sort of morality has to exist in this world to offset the complete dearth of it elsewhere, yet Skyler gets castigated by the entire internet because she doesn't go along with her husband? I don't blame her at all. Even as she gets sucked in and starts to go along with Walter and the stuff he does (oh hey who remembers the bit when Walter practically sexually assaults his heavily pregnant wife after cooking some drugs that was cool) she remains trying to encase it in some sort of legitimacy. The irony is that for all his protestations that he did it for his family (and remember, the show ends with definitive proof that he didn't, he did it for himself), Walter isn't the family member who acts in the best interests of his family. Skyler is. She attempts to protect her children, always. She attempts to protect herself, both of these from her husband and from the people he so insists he is bigger than, but isn't. I think as far as sympathetic characters in Breaking Bad go there's a hierarchy of Skyler, Mike, Saul (oh and speaking of Saul, why on earth does he have a spinoff? yawn) and that she should be the only one who could be considered as acting regularly with any sort of clear or justifiable reason.

Incidentally, I did enjoy how Walter's cancer and his means of dealing with it drove Skyler to take up smoking again - his means of dealing with his disease made his wife more vulnerable to it. A nice metaphor for a horrible event.

And to add to that, just briefly, in terms of cinematography, woof. Yawn. I know it essentially takes place in the desert and there's not much to include in shots there unless you're filming a Western, but there's just nothing. And when there is, such as Walter and Skyler's last conversation where we see Skyler's new life (the big wood-effect pillar in her ****** apartment) first shield Walter as Marie's on the phone, then exist as a barrier between them (as she sits chain smoking), it could count as subtle if it didn't take up half the ****ing screen. I would love to be able to dissect the visuals of the show to a greater extent but I can't do that on one watch, and I don't plan another. All I'll add is that the flashbacks scenes being filtered in what could best be described as ****-yellow was bizarre.

I know I said I didn't want to compare Breaking Bad to shows I've seen but if in its praise and its ratings it's being compared to The Wire, I have to step in. I am by no means an expert on The Wire, but I believe that everything bad I'm describing about Breaking Bad, The Wire does well. But what The Wire has to go along with its drugs and the people involved in drugs is consequence. We see social commentary stemming from the drugs, which ups the emotional involvement of the show and shows a much deeper level of relatable consequence of what happens. This in turn highlights another aspect in which Breaking Bad is severely lacking. From what I can best recall, Walter makes an accumulated amount in excess of $83,000,000 from cooking meth. Now, consider the assorted costs that go along taking out the amount of money he can make and truly realise how much money is in the meth business. Consider then how far reaching into society the meth he cooks is - hell by the end it spans three separate continents. When is this ever seen on screen? I can think of three notable things showing the drugs involved - the scene early on when Jesse gets robbed by the couple on crack that ends with the guy having a cash machine dropped on his head, we see real squalor there. We see lots of what the people who peddle the drugs do and how dangerous that side is, but for all of Walter's millions and the hardship it causes him and those close to him, what about the hundreds of thousands he exploits for his own gain? The show and the characters in it live in a self-contained, myopic world that only serves to expose the afore-mentioned shallowness. They carry out actions which have severe consequences for themselves, but we only ever see exactly that. This just makes the whole thing and all the people in it seem even more distant, and unbelievable. Admittedly however this allows the story to exist and progress quite comfortably. Despite Walter's tens of millions of drug money it seems the only drug police in the entire state is Walter's brother in law, who can only investigate things when Walter is there (Walter crashing his car on the way to the laundry is second only to Mike's death in my rage moments list). There is no way someone as emotional and as uncontrolled as Walter could have existed in the meth business for as long as he did without police interference. All of this is irrelevant anyway was if this were real, Gus would have had him killed about halfway through S3. The main focus of the show, the central element which motivates all the characters and allows them to exist happens completely devoid of any link to any tangible reality that the viewer will try and reconcile it with. The only effect I can recall Walter's empire having on the community at large is him being responsible for the plane crash. He lets Jane die, her dad lets the plane crash happen - disaster. Even then, the crash exists in small glimpses at the beginnings of episodes. The blue ribbons that people wear, none of the Whites wear them. The only person I can recall wearing one for any length of time is Saul, and even then once it's gone, it's... gone. Such of the show exists in the immediacy of what is going on it becomes hard to see the whole thing as something worthwhile and dampens the perception of any tangible development of anyone or anything that may exist within it - although there is very little of it to speak of anyway.

While I don't know Breaking Bad well enough to go into as much detail as I'd like (more detail than it deserves or that it contains itself), I'd like to think I've done my feelings some justice. I'm not sure the rage is properly communicated, although I'm also not sure that the rage has been fully cultivated. Like I said, I'm not planning a second viewing any time soon to consolidate that. When I've hit submit I'll no doubt remember something else I wanted to say but by then it'll be too late. It also has to be said that I don't believe my analytical powers or my oratory powers are what they once were. What I can sum up with is simple - Breaking Bad is not worthy of the praise it deserves. Its attempt at drama, at a need to compel the viewer to watch from episode to episode fails with its ludicrous plots, its paper thin characters, it's tedious. Tedious is about as kind a word as I can think for it. Contrived perhaps another. In fact, contrived is a nice thing to leave you with - at the end of S4, Walter is free. He literally sums it up, telling Skyler "I won." He's out. He has a good amount of money, he's free, he's safe, his family's safe... and he jumps back in. There is no need for the events of S5 to exist. Contrived, absurd, ********.

If that wasn't enough to truly sum up the show, consider this. Hank discovers that Walter is behind everything while he is s()itting on the toilet. Leaves of Grass my ass, indeed.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Didnt read it all, but I saw that you enjoyed The Wire a lot more and say its better and I completely agree :). I find BB wayyyy overrated, just like TWD

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Prepare your flame shield...

breaking-bad-gif-skyler-white-2726107.gif

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Can I have sparknotes from that original post?

Way to long to read but I got bored of the show midway through.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Didn't read but honestly you don't need to think breaking bad is the best show ever. It obviously wasn't perfect.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
tl;dr you didn't like Breaking Bad and felt the need to tell us all so why? in hopes that we start not liking it too?

That's just like your opinion man.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
tl;dr you didn't like Breaking Bad and felt the need to tell us all so why? in hopes that we start not liking it too?

That's just like your opinion man.

Sharing why we did or did not like some form of entertainment is the entire point of this subforum. Anyway. Those that say Breaking Bad is the best show of all time are overrating it.

S1: 7.5/10
S2: 8/10
S3: 9/10
S4: 9/10
S5: 6.5/10 it was a mess and the last season is far and away the most overrated.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think we can all agree that the "symbolism" was taken way too far by many of the fans.

I don't pay attention to that stuff but I did like norm macdonalds theory that as soon as the keys fell in his lap he was dying and everything was a dream

I don't think its true but It was a really interesting theory

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Breaking bad is my favorite show ever. It's has exceptionnal acting, text,cinematography and action. Walter White, Jesse Pinkman, Hank, Gustavo Fring, Mike and Saul Goodman are 6 phenomenal character.

It's ok to have different taste. Personnaly, i don't like Six feet Under, Mad Men and The wire. For me, Omar and Stringer Bell were the only 2 interesting character in The Wire.

Last edited:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Agreed on a lot of your points, especially regarding Skyler being an essential character and being both reasonable and relatively moral.

However, from my perspective, the point of the show was to show Walt's descent. In that sense, the characters around Walt were there simply to show how Walt's actions were destroying everything around him. Those who he claimed he was helping could improve their circumstances and develop when left alone, but he'd ultimately drag them back down or put them in harm's way as he became consumed by his own arrogance. It was not a story about redemption, it was not a story about the consequences of the drug trade. It was a show about a man who lets his arrogance destroy him and all he loves. Still a very good show, IMO, just not the greatest show.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Last Thursday, to be precise. Upon doing so I obviously went looking for a thread on my chief means of entertainment discussion, HFBoards, to read up on the opinions of names I recognise and leave my own. Sadly, unlike The Wire's thread which devolved into debate on the show and on various topics relating to the show, all the threads were relative GDTs of when it first aired. And they're all closed. And all hideously congratulatory.

Suspect...

So, if you will now indulge me, I will at great length attempt to explain why Breaking Bad is such a truly horrific television creation, and how the praise lavished on it by so many is so mis-placed and unjustified.

Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I read most of it but to be brutally honest, you typed a lot of words but didn't say a whole lot. Coherently, at least.

I agree completely with you about Skyler, no argument there and her treatment by the internet in general was ludicrous and misplaced, in retrospect.

But on the other hand, I don't understand how you've seemingly misjudged Walter's character so badly. You seem to be under the impression that the show's intention was to build him up as a badass druglord that you're supposed to cheer for. It's not. You claim that Walter is undermined by alternating his moments of rage with moments of petulence but that's exactly the point of his character. And you're not supposed to sympathize or empathize with him because he is a dick. And his "hard man" act on the phone with Skyler is supposed to be an act. You weren't supposed to believe in that moment he was being honest, he knew the DEA tapped his phone and was trying to ensure Skyler's innocence.

I'm similarly amazed at how you missed the mark on some other key points in the show. Jesse isn't "celebrating" when he's driving away at the end, that's a scream of pure anguish if I've ever heard one. He's "free" but his life has been irrevocably, irreversibly destroyed.

Similarly, with regards to the lapel pin commemorating the plane crash, you're acting like Saul is the only sane man for continuing to wear it while the rest of the cast doesn't or never did. But the whole point of Saul wearing the pin forever was almost a running joke about Saul's character, because he's exactly the kind of person who would wear a pin after the rest of the town has moved on, not out of any genuine emotion but because it makes him "look better" in the community.

With regards to never seeing the "larger impact" of Walt's meth business, that's by design. Presumably there's a lot more ugly stuff that happens on the selling side of the business, but it's made clear many times throughout the show that Walt isn't interested in that side of things (except for his attempts early on, i.e. to Tuco). So why should the show depict that? The focus is on the guy who makes the meth, not on the people buying or selling or living or dying off his meth. It's not relevant.

You're not wrong on some of your other points (Walt running an $83m meth business and never raising the ire of more than a small group of DEA agents, the supporting cast's occasionally up-and-down character development) but I feel like you missed the mark pretty badly on some things and swung wildly at others when it's not really warranted.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I agree that the treatment of Skyler was hilariously unjust and exposed a much larger issue with how we treat female characters on screen.

I couldn't agree with most of the rest though.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Awesome that you finally finished the series I am glad you enjoyed it man.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree that it's very overrated-- I don't get why people resent negative opinions like they will. It's a well executed vehicle of addictive cliffhangers and bad*ss moments that seem to have the most appeal to the college "bro" audience, and it does a good job of maintaining a consistent level of internal logic and polish, but compared to shows that are actually great, it's fairly shallow and has its share of weak points. The show creator attempts to coat the thing with all these layers and attempts at symbolism and themes to give it the appearance that it has alot of depth, but it all just seems to be dripping off the surface to me-- the main draw that the show revolves around is watching Walt get out of trouble every week by doing something bad-*ss-- the show does this surprisingly well, but when everything else about the show seems secondary to this, how far can that really take you?

Most TV dramas attempt to do the type of thing that Breaking Bad does successfully-- Granted, Breaking Bad does it a helluva lot better (that's an understatement), but it's still the same limited kind of thing. There are a collection of great episodes and moments throughout it (Better Call Saul, the climax episodes, Ozymandias), and it's very watchable obviously, but also pretty repetitive and underwhelming on the whole. I would never call it bad, but it wouldn't come close to making a favorites list, for me.

There are times in the third season where the show was getting creative and playful with its humor where I thought it might approach greatness, but it didn't last-- The resolution to Season 4 with the over-the-top Dark Knight style showdown confirmed for me that this wasn't the great uncompromising show that I hoped it would be, merely a "good" one.

My impression of it also seems to drop as more and more time passes too.

S1 - 2.5/5 (Pretty good with reservations)
S2 - 3/5 (Unreservedly good)
S3 - 3.5/5 (Very good)
S4 - 3/5 (Unreservedly good)
S5 - 2.5/5 (Pretty good with reservations)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad