Brayden Schenn Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Incarcerated Bob IBN ‏@*************** 4
**UPDATED NHL RUMORS** Rumors out of Edmonton that a monster trade is brewing with Eastern Conference team #Oilers #IBN

Schenns better start packing.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
**UPDATED NHL RUMORS** Rumors out of Edmonton that a monster trade is brewing with Eastern Conference team #Oilers #IBN

That guy is about as reliable as Eklund. According to him Parise should have been a Flyer three years ago.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Incarcerated Bob is less reliable than the mysterious clump of hair that someone left on my desk last week.

And like that mysterious clump of hair, I'm not willing to touch his rumors because they're trash.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Incarcerated Bob is less reliable than the mysterious clump of hair that someone left on my desk last week.

And like that mysterious clump of hair, I'm not willing to touch his rumors because they're trash.

Didn't know, thought he was good with Edmonton/Flyers like Eklund is. I'll refrain from posting anything by him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
ICB had some sort of very public meltdown when the media proved he was complete BS. That was worthwhile.

Everything else he's done has been a scam.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The bottom line is, Berube needs to take his head out of his ass and put Schenn on the top line LW for more than a 4 period experiment. That is the spot where he has the best chance at being succesful. Raffl may be faster but he is better suited for a checking line. Give Schenn a FAIR shot. Trading him before that could could back to haunt us as much as the JVR trade has.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
you realize he's been here since 2011, right?

You realize that was his rookie season, right? You realize not every player becomes a stud in their first 3 seasons, right?

He played only 54 games his rookie year, played a half season in the NHL and half in the AHL during the lockout, and then had his first full season last year and scored 41 points in 82 games. This will be his second full season in the NHL. You know all that, right?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
You realize that was his rookie season, right? You realize not every player becomes a stud in their first 3 seasons, right?
of course
there are quite a few players drafted right near BSchenn in '09 who are pretty well "developed" at this point...

This will be his second full season in the NHL. You know all that, right?
bit disingenuous here at this will be his 3rd year as a full-time NHL'er

There were Leaf fans who wanted their organization to "be patient" with LSchenn and bemoaned the trade for JVR [a minority, yes]

The issue is that BSchenn hasn't shown much to back up up the lofty expectations as a can't miss type of player when he was traded to us. I happen to disagree entirely with your scouting report on him: We've seen the flashes of what he can do. He's like a Hartnell who doesn't fall down all the time and has better hands.

I ain't seen these flashes.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I'm not giving up on Schenn either, but I agree with Mickey that I haven't really seen any flashes of brilliance that lead me to believe he will be anything close to a JVR situation if he's traded.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I ain't seen these flashes.

Here he plays like a freight train

Right place at the right time, he has goal scorer's instincts, a lot of his goals have been being in the right place when a rebound happens, including his first goal:

Here's the game that probably led to him being named the "best prospect not in the NHL" by doing something only Simon Gagne and Mario Lemieux had ever done in the WJC

and of course, here's his goal from the very last game the Flyers played in which he powers past the defender, sets up someone at the point and is in the right place for a rebound

Tell me if you've heard this one before: high draft pick struggles with consistency in his first 3 seasons while not getting a serious enough look as Giroux's LW linemate and the fanbase gets impatient.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Anybody can have a good play here or there, or a good game here or there.

Schenn SHOULD be doing it with some consistency by now. That's the difference between an impact player and "just a guy." He flat out isn't doing it consistently or showing he's anything really special.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Anybody can have a good play here or there, or a good game here or there.

Schenn SHOULD be doing it with some consistency by now. That's the difference between an impact player and "just a guy." He flat out isn't doing it consistently or showing he's anything really special.

He has played 197 NHL games. Yknow who played 196 NHL games before being traded for "consistency" issues? JVR

I'm not guaranteeing that Brayden Schenn is going to become an amazing player. I'm just trying to ask this fanbase to learn from the past and not keep the same attitude that saw us trade away good players that go on to have success elsewhere (Sharp, Williams, JVR)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So is there something wrong with Perron? Oilers fans seem fine with trading Perron + for both Schenns... normally people just **** all over the Schenns and don't want them..

He had a hip pointer in camp. He is a solid 25-30 goal scoring guy that could do better on Giroux's line. I would personally like to get the Schenn's because I'm sick and tired of our team being bullied by non heavyweights. If they are both as bad as many of you say then perhaps I like the idea of trading Perron for the idea of what I think/hope that the Schenn's could be. Perron is not chopped liver and is pretty gritty on his own, but he won't have 200 hits or fight like Brayden will.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He has played 197 NHL games. Yknow who played 196 NHL games before being traded for "consistency" issues? JVR

I'm not guaranteeing that Brayden Schenn is going to become an amazing player. I'm just trying to ask this fanbase to learn from the past and not keep the same attitude that saw us trade away good players that go on to have success elsewhere (Sharp, Williams, JVR)

You know who routinely played great for stretches and then showed a hell of a lot more in general than Schenn?

JVR.

Schenn has yet to show he's even a lock to hit Hartnell's level. His talent level looks higher, but his IQ on ice is just trash, constantly.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
You know who routinely played great for stretches and then showed a hell of a lot more in general than Schenn?

JVR.

Schenn has yet to show he's even a lock to hit Hartnell's level. His talent level looks higher, but his IQ on ice is just trash, constantly.

What about when Schenn's line was the only line producing in the beginning of last season? Or when he was a PPG in the AHL? Or when he had 9 points in 11 playoff games in 2012?

I'm not a stat guru like Appleyard, but I know what I've seen. And you're the most vocal hater of Brayden Schenn on this board, so forgive me if I take your opinion of him with a grain of salt

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Regardless of how the HF Flyers community feels about B. Schenn, I think it is obvious that he isn't Berube's favorite player, and there are real questions to be asked about whether he's being handled properly at this point.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What about when Schenn's line was the only line producing in the beginning of last season? Or when he was a PPG in the AHL? Or when he had 9 points in 11 playoff games in 2012?

I'm not a stat guru like Appleyard, but I know what I've seen. And you're the most vocal hater of Brayden Schenn on this board, so forgive me if I take your opinion of him with a grain of salt

Plenty of players can produce in the AHL and then fail to translate that production into the NHL. The Schenn/Hartnell/Simmonds line did produce. Briefly. Again, it's something that happens rarely. Like, once a season he will have a short stretch of good play then he's just nothing special at all for the rest of the year.

He is constantly chasing the puck. His anticipation on a game-to-game basis is crap. He's constantly in the wrong spot. Last game was a bright spot, and it was an exception to the rule, unfortunately. It would be great if he could do that more consistently. But right now he's showing minimal upside from what he is now.

I don't "hate" Schenn. I want him to succeed. But at this point, I've seen enough of him to know he can't hack it at center and want him at LW...Giroux's wing, specifically. I like to throw a lot of hyperbole out there, but it is only that; hyperbole for my own and maybe others' amusement, and I try to make it so over the top that it's obviously not serious.

But, realistically speaking, Schenn has shown very little room for improvement over what he is. His best hope at this point is to learn how to play wing, and apply his talents to floating into open space and finishing chances fed to him by Giroux and Voracek or finishing up their own chances. His play along the boards is downright bad more often than not, and he's lackluster at carrying the puck or winning battles for the puck. He just does not show a lot of promise anymore. He has barely progressed in 3 years. Simmonds has progressed. Couturier has progressed. Voracek has progressed. Just about everyone drafted alongside of Schenn has progressed. Schenn is looking like he has plateaued.

I hope he is given a real shot at 1LW and finds a home there. Otherwise he's going to be expendable soon enough.

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
When I look at Schenn, I see a very tough player who is good but not great in all offensive categories and plays average defense. I don't get the sense that he's particularly intelligent, though he does show flashes where he makes a really good play or goes on a scoring run.

He doesn't fit in our organization as a center. I don't think he looks too good as a wing and has a tendency to disappear, though I'd be willing to give him a chance. My view is that we may as well turn an organizational strength (centers) into something we need (dmen -- unlikely, or wing).

Not to beat a dead horse or get us off topic, but it's amazing how bad a trade the JVR-Luke Schenn deal was. Somehow got fleeced by the Toronto hype machine that routinely heralds their prospects/young players as being the best yet includes them in every hypothetical deal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I do love Schenn's effort level. Nobody can ever say he doesn't care or is lazy.

One thing I wonder about is the role of concussions in his development. He's had a few we know of in only 3 years, and he's taken a few more brutal shots to the head in addition to those. In a sport like hockey if your mind gets slowed down you can get left behind and become a shadow of what you once were. Grossmann looks like one such example, as well as Booth and Richards. Boxing provides examples as well; that sport is littered with highly talented, up and coming guys who take one KO and aren't the same again; it's a tipping point that becomes a downwards slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad