News Article: Brayden Schenn: Finding a role

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
id love to let schenn walk and recoup some picks for him. His skill set does not fit in line with our team needs.

I don't think he should be traded for picks. If he's traded it should be for an NHL ready LW, preferably on an ELC.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just to emphasize how good Umberger's 07-08 season was, of his 50 points in 74 games, 33 came at ES and 5 came SH.

SchennSational1022*

1. we are not interested in signing him
2. he is an rfa

When he gets signed by someone else we are looking at picks anyway.

Dude is it really hard to comprehend the context? It's not that we don't want to sign him, it makes no sense for player or team to sign an extension as of now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Teams always want young centers. If Hextall was seriously shopping BSchenn I don't think he'd have trouble finding a NHL left wing in return.

SchennSational1022*

Teams always want young centers. If Hextall was seriously shopping BSchenn I don't think he'd have trouble finding a NHL left wing in return.

If Hextall wanted to move him he'd be gone by now. He's giving him a chance to grow with the team and develop a role. Hexy drafted this kid (he handled the drafts in LA), he loves him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
1. we are not interested in signing him
2. he is an rfa

When he gets signed by someone else we are looking at picks anyway.

Hextall's likely not going to be pick collecting next offseason as the prospect pool will be stacked with another draft in the books. After this year there's going to be pressure for him to put something together at the NHL level.

You're not going to let a 24-25 year old player walk for picks when you can move him for something more established & can help you're team sooner than later if they already aren't. The reality is the odds are against just landing a player of Schenn's caliber with those picks. So you're essentially restarting the process for what?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
If Hextall wanted to move him he'd be gone by now. He's giving him a chance to grow with the team and develop a role. Hexy drafted this kid (he handled the drafts in LA), he loves him.

Based on what? Not saying he will be traded, but why would he be traded already? How do we know if he hasnt been shopped but the Flyers havent bit yet? Honestly, I think the only players that are never being shopped are Giroux & Voracek. MAYBE Couturier. Everyone else, I would hope, Hex is willing to part with for a good price.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Hextall's likely not going to be pick collecting next offseason as the prospect pool will be stacked with another draft in the books. After this year there's going to be pressure for him to put something together at the NHL level.

After this year as in this coming year or the following? Schenn is going to be 24 this up and coming season. I would hope that you mean this coming season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After this year as in this coming year or the following? Schenn is going to be 24 this up and coming season. I would hope that you mean this coming season.

2016-2017. If the Flyers miss the playoffs again this year (2015-2016) that will be three out of the last four years so there will assuredly be some pressure on Hextall to get something going with the actual NHL roster.

I'm not talking about Schenn at all in regards to what he does on the ice so you completely missed my entire point on that one.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
if hexy succumbs to the pressure to win now instead of developing this team properly then he is not the gm we need. Smart fans know that this is a process and its not going to take a few good drafts.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
if hexy succumbs to the pressure to win now instead of developing this team properly then he is not the gm we need. Smart fans know that this is a process and its not going to take a few good drafts.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't build the team the "right" way and still field a competitive team in the immediate future. The idea that the two are mutually exclusive is sheer lunacy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There is absolutely no reason why we can't build the team the "right" way and still field a competitive team in the immediate future. The idea that the two are mutually exclusive is sheer lunacy.

whatever direction you go in you want to make sure you do it 100 percent. Those in sports that try to have their cake and eat it too usually get neither.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
2016-2017. If the Flyers miss the playoffs again this year (2015-2016) that will be three out of the last four years so there will assuredly be some pressure on Hextall to get something going with the actual NHL roster.

I'm not talking about Schenn at all in regards to what he does on the ice so you completely missed my entire point on that one.

You said:
After this year there's going to be pressure for him to put something together at the NHL level.

When you said "you" I took that as Schenn, not Hextall

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
whatever direction you go in you want to make sure you do it 100 percent. Those in sports that try to have their cake and eat it too usually get neither.

Sounds like an empty platitude to me.

You can build a strong prospect pool AND have a strong NHL roster. Similarly, you can have a weak pool and a weak roster. Acting like you can or should only have one or the other is idiocy. Building a team the "right" way means being aware of both. Not forsaking one altogether in the hopes that you win get lucky with the other.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah it's not like I was suggesting he would trade Schenn for a 30 something year old veteran who's on the back nine of his career.

The Flyers have enough picks & prospects they don't need to trade a 24-25 year old player for them & inherit a good sized risk that none of them reach the level of what the player they gave away is at.

After this year (2015-2016) Hextall will have the resources to put forth an effort to start getting this thing going. That doesn't mean he's going to make moves at all cost to win now but he's also not going to continue to sit on his hands. He's going to try to make moves that make sense for now & in the future.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Trading Schenn for draft picks would not be a smart move. I'm all for accumulating draft picks but that should be done through moving veterans, not a 23 year old top 6 forward.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Signing 93 and 14 seem to be moves to secure some cornerstones for the team. Those 2 along with G and the stud Dmen prospects (in my opinion) are the untradable pieces to build around.

Schenn may fit into the long term plans and he also may not. The other 2 being extended and he not being extended (yet) speaks volumes to me. He is now in a "prove it" type situation and may be an asset that could very well be moved if he doesn't find his role. (I doubt that he will be moved for the record)

Because of our lack of scoring players in the system I feel he will be extended to a 3 or 4 year deal but I don't think it will happen until late in the season or as late as arbitration if needed. I like the idea of seeing how he can perform with another year of maturity and under a new coach. I'm not a fan of his but see him as a much bigger asset than the much maligned contracts that we talk about regularly. He still has room to grow and a much higher upside than the majority of our forward group. His age is obviously a huge plus for how this team is being built.

My knock on Schenn is that he seems to be the guy that doesn't fit anywhere. I don't see him as a Read type of guy that can play anywhere but rather as the guy where no matter where he goes he just isn't reaching his potential. He apparently "likes" to be center but I have rarely seen him flourish there. He did not do as strong of a job on the V and G line as I thought he would and he never seems to be able to make the players around him better.

I think we are heading into what will be a very important season for him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If they want to see what Schenn can really do, give him one position (whichever you feel he fits long-term with all of our other pieces) and ride it for the season. He's bounced around wayyyyy too much the last 3 years. After the season, see what he gave you and go from there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A lot of LW prospects were taken in the first round last year. Maybe one of them will be available for BSchenn in a trade next summer.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft.php?year=2014

The only prospects worth trading Schenn for on this list, are untouchable. We MIGHT be able to land Perlini with Schenn but I dont know that id even do it. He looks like a 40-50 point player to me.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If they want to see what Schenn can really do, give him one position (whichever you feel he fits long-term with all of our other pieces) and ride it for the season. He's bounced around wayyyyy too much the last 3 years. After the season, see what he gave you and go from there.
That's why I'm confident that Schenn will benefit from the coaching change.
Hakstol worked with young players before, so he'll know what's best for their development.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00