News Article: Brayden Schenn: Finding a role

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
An excellent article as usual but you have some errors. As an example, obviously you meant Philly has enviable RW depth, not LW depth. Just wanted to let you know as I'm sure you want it as clean as possible.

As far as content goes, I think the spot for Schenn is RW to coots. I don't think last seasons 7 games was a flash in the pan. They have legitimate chemistry together and Schenn seems to be a natural on the right side.

As far as Gagner is concerned he can ride shotgun to Laughts as the 3rd LW. He doesn't fit there but too bad so sad, you do what's best for the team.

Read will take his spot on Coots left as usual and Simmer wi stabilize the right side for a young Laughton at 17-16 a night.

The 4th line will be some combo of PEB, White, VV, Umby. White is probably the extra forward at the end on the day.

Vinny can, will, and should rot in the press box all season long.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Good read...this is the line the above is referring to:

The problem here though is an enviable one for teams around the league… the Flyers have a glut of talent at left wing.

Evergreen

Good read...this is the line the above is referring to:

The problem here though is an enviable one for teams around the league… the Flyers have a glut of talent at left wing.

The article also calls Voracek an All-Star left wing.

Anyway, I think the biggest thing missing from the article is any mention of Lecavalier whatsoever. It looks like we are stuck with him going into the season, and if we want to have any hope of trading him, we are going to have to give him chances to show something and increase his trade value. That could mean a regular spot in the top 9.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I think Schenn will be the third line C unless Laughton shows a serious progression in his game.
The thing I like about Schenn on Coots line is it forces him to stay focused every shift since Coots typically lines up against the opponents top line.

Maybe a line of Gagner Schenn Simmonds could work. Simmonds and Schenn create some space for Gagner and Gagner can set up Schenn for one timers.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
One more mistake I found as well
There have been glimmers of hop though he could fulfil this role for the Flyers.
Should be hope and fulfill.

Anyway, I think the biggest thing missing from the article is any mention of Lecavalier whatsoever. It looks like we are stuck with him going into the season, and if we want to have any hope of trading him, we are going to have to give him chances to show something and increase his trade value. That could mean a regular spot in the top 9.

I doubt that. I don't think he gets much playing time at all. He has no fit on the team anymore. The lineup is way better without him.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

His ass is going to be glued to the pressbox until he gets so sick of it that he retires. At least, that's what should happen.

Evergreen

I would seriously look into trading Brayden for someone that could better fill a top-6 LW slot for us. Guys I'd seriously consider would be Colin Wilson, Mikkel Boedker, Nino Neiderreiter, and maybe even Mike Hoffman from Ottawa. Additions would be made on either side depending upon the player.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I don't really see the point in moving Schenn back to center if you know that he is eventually going to have to go back to wing for Laughton.

Schenn played really well on Couturiers wing this past season...I would like to see them continue to play together.

Ernest95

Jul 10, 2015
Philly
Great article! I've read a few of your other ones before I actually made an account on the board, and I can't want to read more of them!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Wasn't it mentioned that Schenn was going to be used as a center again? Either that means they think Schenn is better at center than wing, they dont think Laughton will be ready for a full time role yet (or a full time role in the top 9) or something completely different.

I am a neutral B. Schenn fan. I wouldnt lose a tear if we traded him but I would expect a decent return. I think all last season, his small stint as the RW on the Couturier line, he looked his best he has looked in a real long time. I know we have a ton of RWers (Voracek, Simmonds, Gagner, Schenn), but I would leave Schenn on the RW and force Gagner to learn LW.

PF

Aug 23, 2003
UK
Visit site
Interesting, I was unaware. Thanks.

It took me a moment to make up my own mind about it, had to do a quick google to convince myself.

I think on balance I'd prefer to see Schenn at right wing next season. I don't think he stays a center assuming he stays with us long term, Laughton's the better long term option there behind G and Couturier.

I'm basically echoing a lot of what's already been said I realise.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Wasn't it mentioned that Schenn was going to be used as a center again? Either that means they think Schenn is better at center than wing, they dont think Laughton will be ready for a full time role yet (or a full time role in the top 9) or something completely different.

I am a neutral B. Schenn fan. I wouldnt lose a tear if we traded him but I would expect a decent return. I think all last season, his small stint as the RW on the Couturier line, he looked his best he has looked in a real long time. I know we have a ton of RWers (Voracek, Simmonds, Gagner, Schenn), but I would leave Schenn on the RW and force Gagner to learn LW.

Not exactly. It was said Hakstol will be trying everything to see what works the best.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
For me, i'd go with:

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Schenn
Gagner - Laughton - Simmonds
PEB - White - VDV

Umberger and LeCavalier sit it out unless either impress in camp.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I would seriously look into trading Brayden for someone that could better fill a top-6 LW slot for us. Guys I'd seriously consider would be Colin Wilson, Mikkel Boedker, Nino Neiderreiter, and maybe even Matt Hoffman from Ottawa. Additions would be made on either side depending upon the player.

It's Mike Hoffman. Matt Hoffman is a BMX rider.

PhillyCurt12

Apr 12, 2010
Wouldn't mind taking a stab at a Simmonds - Cooter - Schenn line. Simmonds' game is simple enough that I would think he could make the change about as easy as anyone.

SchennSational1022*

The way Schenn played at RW last year wasn't just a hot streak. He was actually showing creativity and pushing play forward by himself. It's very obvious he's more comfortable on RW. It's a better fit for him anyway, he has a pretty damn good shot and that puts him in a better position to shoot. Not to mention it's obvious how much better he sees the ice on his off wing. Play him at RW.

Raffl Giroux Voracek
Read Couturier Schenn
Gagner Laughton Simmonds
Umberger Bellemare White

Scratch Vinny till he retires, and I don't care about VandeVelde. People will complain that Simmonds is on the "3rd line", but then we also see people complain we have no scoring depth. He would bring some much needed offense to Laughton's game and I see Umberger bouncing back in a semi-decent way seeing as he could barely walk the past 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00