News Article: Brayden Schenn: Finding a role

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Wouldn't mind taking a stab at a Simmonds - Cooter - Schenn line. Simmonds' game is simple enough that I would think he could make the change about as easy as anyone.

They tried him at LW last year and it did not work. He had trouble receiving passes on his backhand.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Canucks could be an interesting trade partner.
L. Schenn could be sent to Van. They need Right Handed Shot D man.

As for B Schenn.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Gagner-Laughtin-Simmonds
Umberger-Lecavalier-White

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Great read. Could not agree more with your main points. It would help the team the most for Schenn to be able to play LW on Line 2 with Coots and Simmer but he seems to be a better fit at RW with Coots, which forces Simmer down to 3rd line RW.

Line 1: Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Line 2: Read-Couturier-Schenn
Line 3: Gagner-Laughton-Simmonds

or..

Line 1: Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Line 2: Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Line 3: Read-Laughton-Gagner

They have the best chances of working in my opinion.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So, with Couts signing...what do we expect to have happen with Schenn? Signed? How much? Traded? Status quo until next summer?

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I still wouldn't write off the idea of moving Simmer to the left wing. He struggled a bit there, but that's what practice is for. Besides being lodged in front of the net, he's at his best with the puck coming down the left wing. He has a great release on the wrist shot from the left circle and has scored quite a few goals that way. If it's really a matter of him handling passes on his off hand, make him work on it constantly. That's what practice is for

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So, with Couts signing...what do we expect to have happen with Schenn? Signed? How much? Traded? Status quo until next summer?

Really hard to say. Probably the most likely option is just let him play the season and reasses this time next year.

ivanthebad*

I know the Vinny hate here is super strong and rightfully so, but I believe he can contribute this year given the chance. My projected lines

Raffl-G-Voracek
Read-Couts-Schenn
Gagner-Vinny-Simmonds

Gagner can feed him and Simmonds buys him time to set up. Vinny will be contributing player this year IMO

ivanthebad*

Canucks could be an interesting trade partner.
L. Schenn could be sent to Van. They need Right Handed Shot D man.

As for B Schenn.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Gagner-Laughtin-Simmonds
Umberger-Lecavalier-White

Bellemare was great for us last year. Where's he?

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly

I hope Hextall doesn't sign him yet. I would trade him (for a legit LWer around the same age) or take the wait and see approach. I just don't consider him a core piece.

ivanthebad*

I hope Hextall doesn't sign him yet. I would trade him (for a legit LWer around the same age) or take the wait and see approach. I just don't consider him a core piece.

40+ points last 2 years, 47 points last year playing up and down the line-up in all positions. Very physical and gritty. Tough to let that go.

I really hope he has a full year at 2nd line RW to really show what he can do

SchennSational1022*

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a cap causality next offseason.

Its been stated multiple times we can keep all of our guys even at over paid prices even with Vinny and Umberger on the roster. Schenn wont be traded because hes a cap casualty.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Its been stated multiple times we can keep all of our guys even at over paid prices even with Vinny and Umberger on the roster. Schenn wont be traded because hes a cap casualty.

Sure they could fit him in but it's going to be tight therefore I really don't envision him here past this year unless he really improves which I don't envision either.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Personally, I have no issue with signing Schenn to the same deal Couts just got. It is fair market value TODAY. And it has a chance to be a steal if Schenn goes to a 55-60 point guy.

And in the flip side, I have no issue moving him for a true LW IF that LW has a similar age, contract status and upside.

I don't think he is a "must keep" the way Couts is, but he certainly should not be moved just because he have a 1 year logjam at RW. If Gagner is not resigned having:
Giroux Voracek
Couts Schenn
Laughton Simmonds

For our C and RW pairings for the next few years looks pretty good. And if/when Konecny is ready...then he or Simmonds can be moved(remember...this is 2-3 years from now so who knows what value they have at that point)

Side note: I have always wondered wharf a Gagner would be like on the wing on the Flyers. Looking forward to see what he can do and if he helps the #2 PP.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know the Vinny hate here is super strong and rightfully so, but I believe he can contribute this year given the chance. My projected lines

Raffl-G-Voracek
Read-Couts-Schenn
Gagner-Vinny-Simmonds

Gagner can feed him and Simmonds buys him time to set up. Vinny will be contributing player this year IMO

He was given the chance over and over again the past 2 seasons. He's terrible..and he's 1 year older now. He's the worst defensive forward in the league right now..putting him on a line with two other below average defensive forwards in Gagner and Simmonds is a recipe for catastrophic disaster.

The defensively responsible Laughton centering that line makes a lot more sense.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
“I’m not sure there’ll be a push,” Hextall said Thursday. “I’ve spoke with Brayden’s agents a number of times over the summer about different things and the subject has never come up. It’s not something we’re in a hurry to do and I’m assuming they feel the same way.”

“Not that we wouldn’t like to get him signed, but I think we’ll probably give it another year to see where things flush out,” Hextall said. “I don’t anticipate signing Brayden, which never means that you’re not going to. But it’s not something that we’ll actively pursue. We’ll wait and see how the year goes and probably talk at some point, whether it be during the year or next summer.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/320225021.html

SchennSational1022*

“I’m not sure there’ll be a push,” Hextall said Thursday. “I’ve spoke with Brayden’s agents a number of times over the summer about different things and the subject has never come up. It’s not something we’re in a hurry to do and I’m assuming they feel the same way.”

“Not that we wouldn’t like to get him signed, but I think we’ll probably give it another year to see where things flush out,” Hextall said. “I don’t anticipate signing Brayden, which never means that you’re not going to. But it’s not something that we’ll actively pursue. We’ll wait and see how the year goes and probably talk at some point, whether it be during the year or next summer.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/320225021.html

I'm sure everybody here will read into this meaning he's a goner. Schenn's agent Don Meehan is a major pain in the ass/hardliner and probably wouldn't sign a long term deal before this upcoming season, and it makes no sense for Hextall to either. If you're Schenn's agent why on earth would you sign an extension now, it's perfectly reasonable for him to have a career season in 15-16 (he's had new career highs every year). I'm expecting 60 points this year along with cementing a position for foreseeable future. I think Schenn is going to have a great year under a new coach and hopefully playing RW with Couturier, he'll be due an extension if that happens.

I'll never understand the "trade him for a comparable LW" crowd. Sure he hasn't looked amazing at LW but he was pretty damn good at RW and showed signs it wasn't just a hot streak. Go back and watch those games on Couturier's RW. He was driving play by himself and carrying puck with confidence I haven't seen from him since back in the WHL. If you know anything about hockey it was very easy to tell he could see the ice much better at RW and it wasn't just a hot streak. You don't just trade guys (who still have great potential to be better than an already 50 point player) for a "similar", most likely topped out LW, just because we have a need for LW. It's really ridiculous IMO.

If we ended up trading Schenn for one of your guys "similarly valued LW" we'd probably look dumb. The best guys anyone could come up with here was Boedker (an impending UFA who will most likely be making more than Schenn soon and is a marginal upgrade at best) or Marcus freakin Johansson. If you guys think Schenn is inconsistent try watching Johnasson for 82 games, you'll want to guage your eyes out worse than Schenn has ever made you. Not to mention both of those players have most likely peaked and Schenn is improving and will continue to every year for next 2-3 years. Keep him and let him break out, it's coming.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he scores 60 points we may not be able to afford the $6m+ AAV he will demand.

SchennSational1022*

If he scores 60 points we may not be able to afford the $6m+ AAV he will demand.

If/when he scores 60 points, he won't take 6+ to sign, he's an RFA and if we gave a long term contract it'd bring the AAV down a bit,. Andif he became that good of a quality of player, Hextall wouldn't let a young budding 60+ point PWF leave or be traded because we can't fit him in. Room would be made for improvement on this team, always has always will. Who was last guy we traded away who was a damn good young player because we couldn't fit him? I'll wait.....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Saad got $6m as an RFA after a 52 point season.

Umberger was a damn good young player the Flyers traded because they couldn't fit him in.

SchennSational1022*

Saad got $6m as an RFA after a 52 point season.

Umberger was a damn good young player the Flyers traded because they couldn't fit him in.

Saad has been a better player than Schenn for 2-3 years now. Umberger was not a "damn good young player" either. He had a prolonged hot streak in playoffs and became a decent top 6 forward, was never what you're saying.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As well as his playoff heroics, Umberger had 50 points in 74 games in his final regular season as a Flyer. He scored at a higher pace than Knuble, Carter and Hartnell that season.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sea...&country=&status=&viewName=summary&sort=&ord=

Umberger's last season as a Flyer was better than any season BSchenn has had in Philly. And he was 25 at the time, only only one year younger than BSchenn will be for the 15-16 season. He was a damn good young player that the Flyers couldn't keep.

And you thinking Saad is the better player won't stop Schenn's agent using his contract as a comparable if Schenn can get close to 60 points.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Giving Schenn a raise similar to Coots wont be an issue, cap will most likely go up next year, Luke will be off the books and replaced by an ECL, i could imagine Streit will also be off the books for an ECL. We will probably be rid of Umberger, Vinny and one more forward and replaced by players like Kone an NAK on ECLs. I have a feeling a lot of salary will be shed from now and next summer. To note, i know we werent in position to get much at deadlines but Hexy doesnt seem like that guy. He has done well drafting and is in position to build a detriot like system.

Our core going forward looks like it includes Schenn
G, Jake, Coots, Schenn and Simmer
Then,
Laughton, Prov, Sanhiem, Ghost, Kone, Morin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad