Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You guys think he will become a number two center ? better then Johnson ?

Just the 3rd line center for now. That injury was a small blessing in disguise for him because he hit the rookie wall and I don't think our struggles in the time in which he was hurt would have helped his development either

Last edited:

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Ok, based on what? He scored in juniors at a pretty decent clip (.53) and has no trouble zipping his shot by goalies in the shooutout. His issue is with the timing and space of the NHL. It's not as if his shot lacks power or accuracy. He just needs to focus on his release.

No, it does lack power and accuracy. He has the shot of a peewee player.

Based on what? Based all on the shots I have watched him take in games. All you have to do is watch him try and shoot to see this is evident.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Ok, based on what? He scored in juniors at a pretty decent clip (.53) and has no trouble zipping his shot by goalies in the shooutout. His issue is with the timing and space of the NHL. It's not as if his shot lacks power or accuracy. He just needs to focus on his release.

No, it does lack power and accuracy. He has the shot of a peewee player.

Based on what? Based all on the shots I have watched him take in games. All you have to do is watch him try and shoot to see this is evident.

Agreed with Palat and Sky. The bulk of Points scoring chances have come from being in the right position at the right time. It was like that in juniors too. He kind of reminds me of Conacher more than Johnson in that respect. He's very scrappy, and that's how he gets his goals.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Brown still has the worst shot on this team for forwards by a country mile

I do think Point's is worse. Brown has an okay release and power, just cannot aim to save his life. Actually feel like he had a patch earlier this year where he was doing a bit better (felt like he was scoring regularly for a bit), but back to not scoring at all. Although he hasnt had his normal breakaway chances.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I do think Point's is worse. Brown has an okay release and power, just cannot aim to save his life. Actually feel like he had a patch earlier this year where he was doing a bit better (felt like he was scoring regularly for a bit), but back to not scoring at all. Although he hasnt had his normal breakaway chances.
I disagree. Point's shot is underwhelming. Brown's shot is a complete mess. Point's shot at least looks natural and automatic, whereas Brown almost looks like a lefty who's trained himself to play as a righty. Semi-annual breakaways aside, Brown never looks comfortable as a shooter, and the puck seems to travel in a new direction, with a new velocity, every time it comes off his stick. To my eye it looks like he's trying something new every few games hoping to find something that works.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I disagree. Point's shot is underwhelming. Brown's shot is a complete mess. Point's shot at least looks natural and automatic, whereas Brown almost looks like a lefty who's trained himself to play as a righty. Semi-annual breakaways aside, Brown never looks comfortable as a shooter, and the puck seems to travel in a new direction, with a new velocity, every time it comes off his stick. To my eye it looks like he's trying something new every few games hoping to find something that works.

That's how I've described it to people watching games with me. Such a mess lol

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Saying Point has a bad shot is not saying he's a bad player.

The shot will come. He may never be a great shooter, but his shot probably won't stand out as being bad once in a few years. As of right now, he just doesn't get it away very quickly, and there's rarely a whole lot on it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brown still has the worst shot on this team for forwards by a country mile

Not really. I mean, yeah, Brown's shot is pretty bad, but he can get a lot of zip on it. It's sometimes half a mile wide, or sometimes he just flubs it, but he's had a lot of shots off the post where it was clear he actually beat the goalie. I mean, it's rare, yeah, but on the other side I don't think Point is capable of beating a positioned goalie from more than a few feet out. It's the one part of his game where he still looks like a kid rather than an adult male. He's not getting much weight behind it.

I think this will improve. We've seen Drouin go from having about an average NHL shot to having one that's well above average. So Point should be able to work on it and bring it up to a passing grade. All the scouting reports raved about his work ethic so I'm excited to see the improvements he makes after an NHL off-season, working with the best of the best.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Not really. I mean, yeah, Brown's shot is pretty bad, but he can get a lot of zip on it. It's sometimes half a mile wide, or sometimes he just flubs it, but he's had a lot of shots off the post where it was clear he actually beat the goalie. I mean, it's rare, yeah, but on the other side I don't think Point is capable of beating a positioned goalie from more than a few feet out. It's the one part of his game where he still looks like a kid rather than an adult male. He's not getting much weight behind it.

I think this will improve. We've seen Drouin go from having about an average NHL shot to having one that's well above average. So Point should be able to work on it and bring it up to a passing grade. All the scouting reports raved about his work ethic so I'm excited to see the improvements he makes after an NHL off-season, working with the best of the best.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Uhh im betting it's more of a "can't" than a "want".

Like I said, it's more an issue with timing and space in the NHL than his shot sucking. In a situation when he is able to use his shot without restriction, it looks just fine. He just needs to work on his release so he can use his shot effectively against NHL defenders and goalies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Like I said, it's more an issue with timing and space in the NHL than his shot sucking. In a situation when he is able to use his shot without restriction, it looks just fine. He just needs to work on his release so he can use his shot effectively against NHL defenders and goalies.

Except we've seen examples where he gets to walk in and still flubs a shot, it's not as if all his shot attempts are with a defender on his back. Shootouts are different in that getting a shot up that close is pretty easy. His shootout prowess is more hands and being able to read the goalie than it is his shot.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Did you not watch the video I posted?

Uhh ill use the 40+ games of nhl sample size over 2 goals in a world junior game..theres also a couple shots in that video where hes wide open and flubs the shot so not exactly helping your point either.

Youre telling me hes shooting like he has broken wrists by choice?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
All I said is that he was capable, there might be an underlying issue with his shooting such as his confidence, or he hasn't adjusted to NHL speed yet. It is a losing argument if you believe his athletic performance diminished at the NHL level and that the 40 game sample size trumps hundreds of junior games.

Also in case you missed it, I have agreed that it doesn't look like he has an NHL caliber shot, because I haven't seen it at the NHL level yet. Try not to be so argumentative

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
That top-shelf snipe against Switzerland was a thing of beauty. You could have told me that was Marty and I wouldn't have questioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad