Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Would prefer for him to be developing in Syracuse. Not a guy that is unable to play here but it's not as if he is currently needed to help us win games. I would love to see him rip it up in Syracuse for a year and develop his strength and scoring ability in the proper environment.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point has looked good but he just has not been strong enough with the puck on the boards or in front of the net. He seems to be there in the front for rebounds but is not very effective. Shots are there but not strong enough. He really has been more of a passenger at ES and on the PP. Like to see him develop more in the AHL, and then play a full season next year if we lose Vladdy and/or Flip. Johnson line finally came through last night so there is hope but I am still not crazy with Point and Johnson on the same Line. Point will have his time, but don't think it should be now.

Pretty much the only thing I agree with here is that we should send him down. He looks fine on the boards, and has been effectively screening goalies (didn't he screen Rask on the Hedman goal last game?). He's in no way been a passenger, especially at ES, and our PP has been so effective this year that he's probably just doing what he's told.

All that said, I think he could still benefit from some time in Syracuse, and that benefit probably outweighs what he's bringing to the team right now, even though I really like what he's bringing to the team. I'd like him to develop more of a killer instinct. He seems almost indecisive at times when he gets an opportunity to score. I think it's been getting better, but he could probably flirt with a point-per-game in Syracuse, and that just might be more beneficial long-term.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Point doing very well considering he was a third round pick and is only 20 years old. They should send him down but we all know he is the first call up and we know what he brings. He looks so good and it is very encouraging to see that raw talent in our organization.
I want that first NHL goal for him before he gets assigned to Syracuse!!!

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
He looks fantastic and is clearly energizing the team and making things happen out there. Will it last? Who knows, but he's an asset at this level right now and the more experience he can get in the NHL the better, imo.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think we ought to just keep him up. The level at which he is playing is not only very good but more importantly we can expect him to sustain it. His shift to shift focus is consistent and his overall performance as a rookie I think is the best we have seen in years

This isn't a Brett Connolly or James Wright experiment that could backfire. His rookie performance is already better than what Namestnikov gave us at that point of his career. Not to mention Point is tied at 4 points on the season with Vladdy already.

Keep him up. Some guys are just ready for the NHL at 20 without need for the AHL. We hit on this pick big time. I'd rather him skate 3rd line minutes and learn with Filppula now than send him down for "playing time" at a lower level when he's already having the immediate benefit now. There's nothing extrs he's gonna get in the minors against his own caliber. Let him learn against the best now.

Just how much worse could Koekkoek have possibly been as opposed to Carle? The man has been ready for probably a year and a half now. Don't do it to Point as well.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Keep him up. Some guys are just ready for the NHL at 20 without need for the AHL. We hit on this pick big time. I'd rather him skate 3rd line minutes and learn with Filppula now than send him down for "playing time" at a lower level when he's already having the immediate benefit now. There's nothing extrs he's gonna get in the minors against his own caliber. Let him learn against the best now.

Just how much worse could Koekkoek have possibly been as opposed to Carle? The man has been ready for probably a year and a half now. Don't do it to Point as well.

After thinking about it, maybe he should stay up but does not Stay in the top 6. I Agree with everything here.

When Drouin gets back think he should take Point's spot on the Johnson line. I think he needs to develop his two way game, and the 3rd line could use his skillset as much as he could use the 3rd line to develop his two way game. I swear If Brown is ever on the 3rd line again, I Will take the next flight down to Tampa and steal Coops gum! Brown has pretty much played himself into the press box when Drouin returns, so won't have to worry about Point being scratched , and Vladdy makes the 4th line an actual threat to score.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah the top 6 is way too stacked for Point to make the jump. TKO plus Stamkos and Drouin with the expectation of Killorn and Callahan floating between upper and lower lines. No chance. Brayden will have to wait. But a spot with Filppula and Namestnikov in the top 9? With the way Coop spreads out minutes Point will get his 12 minutes TOI or so and learn from a pro in Filppula. Given Points dogged determination and hustle he would fit seamlessly in a combination with Callahan as well.

I know he's technically better off getting more time in the AHL but the kid already knows how to score and he's already contributing at the NHL level. Let him learn the toughness it takes to be an NHL player here on the Lightning. The goals will come if we are patient.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah the top 6 is way too stacked for Point to make the jump. TKO plus Stamkos and Drouin with the expectation of Killorn and Callahan floating between upper and lower lines. No chance. Brayden will have to wait. But a spot with Filppula and Namestnikov in the top 9? With the way Coop spreads out minutes Point will get his 12 minutes TOI or so and learn from a pro in Filppula. Given Points dogged determination and hustle he would fit seamlessly in a combination with Callahan as well.

I know he's technically better off getting more time in the AHL but the kid already knows how to score and he's already contributing at the NHL level. Let him learn the toughness it takes to be an NHL player here on the Lightning. The goals will come if we are patient.

I am just a little surprised that a guy like Point under Cooper is getting all these mins and prime PP time. Guys like Kucherov and Drouin went through growing pains before they got themselves locked into a spot, and before Drouin was hurt on his first shift he was on the 3rd line. I am starting to think that Point could be part of a trade package to help move other pieces at the TDL or off season, which is why they are feeding him so many mins. If you think about it, is Point going to take Johnson's spot next season or Drouin's? 3C could be his spot if Vladdy and Flip are both gone. But Point Is not a player who was destined for the 3rd line.

He has been good, but not like OMG he is amazing and needs to be signed to a big contract good.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think we ought to just keep him up. The level at which he is playing is not only very good but more importantly we can expect him to sustain it. His shift to shift focus is consistent and his overall performance as a rookie I think is the best we have seen in years

This isn't a Brett Connolly or James Wright experiment that could backfire. His rookie performance is already better than what Namestnikov gave us at that point of his career. Not to mention Point is tied at 4 points on the season with Vladdy already.

Koekkoek was not ready a year and a half ago and we developed him properly, this was the perfect year to bring him up.

He can gain nothing in the minors? He has 0 goals in 11 games he'd have even less points then he did if he wasn't playing on the Lightning. You'd be surprised how much 2 years in the AHL would do. See: Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

A lot of the success we've had in the past couple of years has come from grooming guys in the AHL. Some guys legitimately don't need it. Others do. I think Koekkoek needed it. He definitely wasn't blowing the AHL away. I mean, yeah, he was likely better than Carle, but he got a lot of experience being a go-to guy in the pros that he's not going to get in the NHL for a while yet. He got play all situations.

The moment we take Point off the power play is the moment we should send him to the A. I'd rather him be the top scoring option in Syracuse than a checking line winger in the NHL.

There's also a benefit to stacking the Syracuse team. One of the things that has made our current core so tight is that they all learned to win together in the AHL. If we add a legit 1C to the Crunch, they can probably contend. And I'd rather groom Point in that role, at least for now. If he becomes indespensible at the NHL level, then obviously we should keep him. But as of right now, he's played very well, but hasn't been a huge factor. So either he starts showing he can score at this level soon, or we should put him at a level where we know he'll score.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The kid's scoring some goals these days. Has he finally settled in?

He doesn't shoot. Which is smart for him. Keep his stick on the ice and one of the skilled players banks it off.

Honestly - not criticizing for that. I just think it's hilarious that all of his goals are either tap ins or deflections, it seems.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I like the fact he doesn't rely on his speed only. Johnson and Point could be effectively interchangeable centering
the 3rd and 2nd line once Stamkos return. That being said the problem would be what to do with Flip tho, Point belongs at the centre position and brings a much needed scoring depth.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
His shot HAS to get better. He looks like he has two broken wrists every time he flubs the puck mildly towards the net.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The injury/time-off/rest did wonders for him, gave him time in the middle of the season that you wouldn't otherwise get to regroup.

He was hitting a wall before his injury and that would've gotten worse with grind of the season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His shot HAS to get better. He looks like he has two broken wrists every time he flubs the puck mildly towards the net.

Oh absolutely. He has a Matt Carle-esque shot. But right now he's finding twine anyway, so I won't be too hard on him.

He looks a lot better than he did early in the season.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
He's looked good with Drouin lately. Wouldn't mind seeing that play out a little more.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He has a good shot. He isn't beating goalies in the shootout with insane dekes. He's coming in and rifling the puck by them. I think his issue is confidence and maybe adjusting to the timing and space of the NHL.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He has a good shot. He isn't beating goalies in the shootout with insane dekes. He's coming in and rifling the puck by them. I think his issue is confidence and maybe adjusting to the timing and space of the NHL.

Yeah, it's completely different getting a shot off on a breakaway/shootout than in game situations. Don't think it's a confidence thing he just needs to work on his release/timing.

He should probably start cheating for breakaways to be honest..

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

No, no he does not have a good shot.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
No, no he does not have a good shot.

Ok, based on what? He scored in juniors at a pretty decent clip (.53) and has no trouble zipping his shot by goalies in the shooutout. His issue is with the timing and space of the NHL. It's not as if his shot lacks power or accuracy. He just needs to focus on his release.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
He has been really good the last several games. I like Point and he was pretty good earlier but couldn't buy a goal, nice to see him get some reward. All the playing time he is getting while Stammer is out is so good for his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad