Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Nice to see Brayden Point was also second in BEST PRO PROSPECT (DRAFTED)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hey Lightning fans, I caught most of the local Team Canada Showcase where Brayden Point was fantastic. In a pair of exhibition games against the Czechs the kid racked up a pretty nice 8 points. Honestly I think he's trending to be Captain or something along those lines for the World Juniors, I'm real jealous of you guys for having this guy along with your other ridiculous under 25ers.

Watching him is a delight, he just seems to slow the game down and pick every seam apart. The passes he was making were not only a display of excellent vision and creativity, but were displays of technical excellence - tape-to-tape in mid-air, always setting up the high percentage back door play, and his goals were all nice crashes to the front of the net. And did I mention he's just excellent in the neutral zone? I don't care if he's 5'9", you guys have yourselves an NHLer.

Cheers,

Reactions: Zwui21

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Tampa Bay’s abundance of smaller, talented forwards doesn’t look to be running out any time soon. Nikita Kucherov (5’11â€) also entered that conversation last season, racking up 29 goals and 65 points in his second NHL campaign.

But there’s one other potential member of this elite group that has yet to enter the NHL fray.

Brayden Point — who was drafted by the Lightning in the third round (79th overall) in the 2014 Entry Draft – has been making waves this offseason due to his performance at Hockey Canada’s recent Summer Showcase.

The 5’10†Point joined 39 other Canadian hopefuls at the camp as all vied for a spot on Canada’s 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship squad.

Point made quite an impact. While all eyes were on recent top-five draft picks Dylan Strome and Mitchell Marner, it was Point who reigned as the offensive king, racking up eight points (three goals, five assists) in only two games. His total was twice as much as the next highest scorer at the camp, and his three goals tied Strome for the most of any participant as well — and Point played one less game than Strome.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/atlantic/tampa-bay-lightning/brayden-point-could-be-lightnings-next-undersized-star/

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
So super excited about him, but it would really help im to go to the AHL this year.. To bad he isn't allowed to, he has not that much to prove in junors anymore.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
So super excited about him, but it would really help im to go to the AHL this year.. To bad he isn't allowed to, he has not that much to prove in junors anymore.

Yeah, there's not a lot left to prove on the ice, but off it, he'll have another year to get stronger and prepare for the pro game. I am excited about what his role will be for Canada at the WJC. It'd be great to see if they use him as one of the top go-to guys.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
In his brief time in Syracuse it was obvious he lacked strength. One more year of Juniors and 10-15 lbs of muscle will do him wonders. He really needed work on his leg strength and getting knocked off the puck. Hopefully he realized the PRO game size/strength ain't no joke and put his time in this off-season. Looking forward to a great Junior year for him.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Watched him tonight.

He scored 4 goals (1 en) 1 assist.

Guy is amazing.
In 16 games he's scored 17 games. He has a lot of skill and to be honest he plays big. I could tell he was a bit shorter but that wasn't stopping him from going to the net.

Just an amazing October by him

Not a Tampa fan but I thought I'd mention this guy looks sick and I see him as a future nhler

O and he wins faceoffs well.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Moose Jaw overall could be quit an interesting place for our scouts this season.

Points linemate Dryden Hunt looks like one of the top CHL FAs of the season IMO and with Popugaev and Sawchenko they have two very interesting players cominig up for the draft.
Well and there is McNulty a hulking 6`6 defender as well, who has really put up points since coming to the Warriors, he is like Hunt an overager.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Watched him tonight.

He scored 4 goals (1 en) 1 assist.

Guy is amazing.
In 16 games he's scored 17 games. He has a lot of skill and to be honest he plays big. I could tell he was a bit shorter but that wasn't stopping him from going to the net.

Just an amazing October by him

Not a Tampa fan but I thought I'd mention this guy looks sick and I see him as a future nhler

O and he wins faceoffs well.

I'm looking forward to Points playing for the big team in the future. A lot of up and coming players i'm excited to see for Tampa. They've done a good job drafting/scouting/developing their young talent the past few years

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

Highlights of the game for those interested.

I'll also chime in as a neutral fan. Point has been one of my favorite WHL players since he first came onto the scene as a 15 year old. In the Warriors playoff run (and sadly, Point's only WHL playoff run), Point put up 10 points in 14 games. He played a real catalyst that playoffs, and caught my eye. Even though he was 15, it was clear that Point was a very special player. The fact that he kept standing out, even though I was scouting other players always sticks with me. After that, I knew there was a special player in the league.

I always thought in his draft year he should have been a 1st round pick. But teams have such a worry about size. However point is such a talented player. He's a spark plug out there who can score. He's also so strong at both ends of the ice, a real leader out there. He's also one of the best centers on the dot in the league. Now when I watch him, with a stronger supporting class, it's clear he's become one of the best players in the league. I think he'll be either the Captain, or alternate captain for Canada at the WJ too. He'll make a name for himself there, I'm sure of it.

Exciting prospect you guys have.

ganiseri

Feb 3, 2014

Highlights of the game for those interested.

I'll also chime in as a neutral fan. Point has been one of my favorite WHL players since he first came onto the scene as a 15 year old. In the Warriors playoff run (and sadly, Point's only WHL playoff run), Point put up 10 points in 14 games. He played a real catalyst that playoffs, and caught my eye. Even though he was 15, it was clear that Point was a very special player. The fact that he kept standing out, even though I was scouting other players always sticks with me. After that, I knew there was a special player in the league.

I always thought in his draft year he should have been a 1st round pick. But teams have such a worry about size. However point is such a talented player. He's a spark plug out there who can score. He's also so strong at both ends of the ice, a real leader out there. He's also one of the best centers on the dot in the league. Now when I watch him, with a stronger supporting class, it's clear he's become one of the best players in the league. I think he'll be either the Captain, or alternate captain for Canada at the WJ too. He'll make a name for himself there, I'm sure of it.

Exciting prospect you guys have.

Thanks for the report!

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/11/1...in-whl-turning-heads-with-tampa-bay-lightning

“Obviously not the biggest guy, but he plays the game the right way,” Stamkos said. “He’s got a lot of poise and a lot of skill, from the brief time that we saw him in exhibition games. I think he’s a guy who can look up to a guy like (5-foot-9) Tyler Johnson and see the success that he’s been able to have at this level, and he’s a going to be good player.”

High praise.

And then there’s this …

“I would even go as far as to say he’s probably a lot better than I was at that age,” said the 25-year-old Johnson, an undersized centre who was never drafted despite putting up impressive numbers with the WHL’s Spokane Chiefs.

“His feet are always moving. His hands are moving. He’s working for his teammates, and that’s a thing that is really tough to learn when you’re younger. So for him to already have that, I think that says a lot about his character and how much he’s driven to be a great player. And he obviously has the tools and the skills to be able to achieve it.”

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He is playing really well. Still needs to hit the weights a bit, but considering he is like 160 pounds he is handling himself pretty well. Very happy with him so far.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Won't have to send anyone down. Cally is not on the IR. With the way Vladdy and Brown have been under performing, can always rotate them in the press box while Point keeps a spot.

I would love to see a line of Point - Flip - Callahan. Would be good for everyone on that line, Cally and Flip will have a guy who can actually finish and make plays, and Point will learn a strong two way defensive game skating with those two. Vladdy has just not been strong enough this season so far.

Good point. No pun intended.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I would be ok with Vlad sitting and putting Callahan with Point and Filpulla. 4th line is good right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Won't have to send anyone down. Cally is not on the IR. With the way Vladdy and Brown have been under performing, can always rotate them in the press box while Point keeps a spot.

I would love to see a line of Point - Flip - Callahan. Would be good for everyone on that line, Cally and Flip will have a guy who can actually finish and make plays, and Point will learn a strong two way defensive game skating with those two. Vladdy has just not been strong enough this season so far.

He is on IR though just not LTIR. So he has to sit of 7 days, no game limit and not 24 days and 10 games. Namestnikov and Brown aren't underperforming, they just haven't looked as good as some of our other forwards but they're not a detriment to the team.

There's no reason to keep Point up though. Namestnikov and Brown just got new 2 year deals this offseason no reason to bench either of them for a kid who should be in Syracuse or a player coming back from a major injury who was worse than both of them last year. Until one of them or Paquette completely looks terrible I wouldn't change the forwards for Callahan yet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'll give you Vladdy, but a JT Brown at his career best was still less productive than an injured Ryan Callahan at his worst last season. Just sayin. Right now the only players that Cally will not replace are Flip and Boyle, everyone else is up in the air right now, and I do hope Point stays. Right now Brown or Vladdy may be the ones to sit if they continue on this path.

Callahan is 31 and coming off a serious injury, his best years are behind him. Brown is 5 years younger and doesn't get any top 6 or PP minutes to put up better numbers. Brown will be scratched because you can't sit a player making 6mil, we are unfortunately stuck with Callahan for a bit longer.

As for Namestnikov if you're going to sit him might as well just trade him now. His value will torpedo if he's a continuous healthy scratch who's waiver eligible and needs to be protected in the expansion draft. Trade him now for a pick or prospect and free up 2mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad