Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd like to just go ahead and lock him up, I think, if I had to choose. I think it'll pay off, so long as the cap rises.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
would love to see 7 or 8 but it will be 8.5 to 9. And then we will need to get ready for the max when Kuch comes up again. The Hayes contract is gonna hurt us from a cap stand point no way Point will get less than 8.5

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
would love to see 7 or 8 but it will be 8.5 to 9. And then we will need to get ready for the max when Kuch comes up again. The Hayes contract is gonna hurt us from a cap stand point no way Point will get less than 8.5
Maybe not if the player (and possibly not the agent) takes into account that everyone online thought he got overpaid (and that will follow him around for years, making him quick to get criticism).

Point also probably thinks that the team is better with Vasi, Serg, Cirelli, and Cernak. All guys who are going to get bigger deals a year from now (likely also without a huge bump in the cap).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Maybe not if the player (and possibly not the agent) takes into account that everyone online thought he got overpaid (and that will follow him around for years, making him quick to get criticism).

Point also probably thinks that the team is better with Vasi, Serg, Cirelli, and Cernak. All guys who are going to get bigger deals a year from now (likely also without a huge bump in the cap).
Vasi's deal is concerning he is gonna get paid in term and $$$$$$$ the other three can be controlled a little with a bridge. Point is different you can not bridge a 40 goal guy. You bridge him at 6 or 7 then in two years he will warrant 11 mil. The only exception would be that you are planning on exposing him in the expansion draft. This is a crucial contract compounded by 7 NMC ot NTC' already on the team.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I think he signs for less than 8M AAV

I agree. He probably goes 7 at $7 million AAV with a NTC that only he can lift. That puts him in his prime and worth $12 Million + at the end of the contract.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Vasi's deal is concerning he is gonna get paid in term and $$$$$$$ the other three can be controlled a little with a bridge. Point is different you can not bridge a 40 goal guy. You bridge him at 6 or 7 then in two years he will warrant 11 mil. The only exception would be that you are planning on exposing him in the expansion draft. This is a crucial contract compounded by 7 NMC ot NTC' already on the team.
There's also a CBA negotiation looming. If I were a big-time player, I'd want term to insulate against changes. The worst case scenario is that I'm an amnesty buy-out.

On the other hand, if I thought the PA was going to rake the league over the coals during negotiations, a bridge deal might look good since I can ring the bell again with a new CBA.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
There's also a CBA negotiation looming. If I were a big-time player, I'd want term to insulate against changes. The worst case scenario is that I'm an amnesty buy-out.

On the other hand, if I thought the PA was going to rake the league over the coals during negotiations, a bridge deal might look good since I can ring the bell again with a new CBA.
Which is why if I was him I’d do a 5 year deal gives him more money and at 28 he can hit the ufA market

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Which is why if I was him I’d do a 5 year deal gives him more money and at 28 he can hit the ufA market
For the player maybe but for the team that's not going to work with this stagnated cap increases.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
You don’t think they get it done before July 1st ? So we know cap space in free agency we have left
If you want something to compare it to, Stammer's first deal aka Stammergeddon #1, was signed July 19th in 2011 and Kucherov's bridge deal was signed October 11th, right before the start of the 2016-17 season. So a good guess could be anywhere in between. Both Hedman and Vasilevskiy re-signed way before their ELCs were used up.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I agree. He probably goes 7 at $7 million AAV with a NTC that only he can lift. That puts him in his prime and worth $12 Million + at the end of the contract.
The NTC is a deal stopper. The team already has too many remember there will be an expansion draft coming and you can not protect them all. And the NTC's must be protected. Kuch does not have one so protecting Point and exposing Kuch is not something I would even consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad