Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
5fpnlffo881c1.jpg

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Some is nagging him, has to be. He's not skating as fast, he isn't forechecking as hard, shot isn't there. Maybe his hip is hurting again?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like he's still getting chances, just not cashing in. Reminds me more of the first of the season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's still skating plenty fast... doubt he's injured. Small players are bound to have hiccups, especially when they hold onto the puck as long as Point does.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kinda wild that Point is having a “down” year (for his standards) while his linemate is absolutely lighting the world on fire. Just looking at Kuch’s numbers you’d think Point would be at 40 goals right now.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Kinda wild that Point is having a “down” year (for his standards) while his linemate is absolutely lighting the world on fire. Just looking at Kuch’s numbers you’d think Point would be at 40 goals right now.
Snakebitten at times, shitty/lazy 5v5 play at others, and teams taking him away on the PP. Sometimes, he looks like he wants no part of physical contact, which makes me wonder if the injuries (Rielly boarding in 2023 Playoffs, 2021-22 injury into the boards against the Devils, 2022 Playoffs injury) are making him "pace" himself in the regular season.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not sure that it's a down year offensively for him. Probably an average year. Kucherov is just otherworldly right now.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah he had below ppg numbers for three years in a row before last seasons. Of course he missed Kucherov a lot for a couple of those seasons with his injuries, but still.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I expected Point to regress anyway as the 50 goal season was an unsustainable fluke but they really gotta figure out how to get him going on the PP again at least. The bumper play is dead. But I guess it's still a decoy for Kuch to score more... He also used to be good for a goal on the rush quite often with his wrist shot against the grain move, I dunno if that got taken away too.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I expected Point to regress anyway as the 50 goal season was an unsustainable fluke but they really gotta figure out how to get him going on the PP again at least. The bumper play is dead. But I guess it's still a decoy for Kuch to score more... He also used to be good for a goal on the rush quite often with his wrist shot against the grain move, I dunno if that got taken away too.
Regardless of stats, you can just tell by watching him that he hasn't been as effective as usual this year.

I'm not sure that it's a down year offensively for him. Probably an average year. Kucherov is just otherworldly right now.
From what I've seen, Point isn't effecting the game this year nearly as much as he did.

Reactions: OffBy1

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
League has gotten significantly faster the last 3 years so Point's biggest advantage has been leveled out, he needs to finish better though, he has less time and space at ES for sure but there's no reason to miss that many times on the PP when he's set up like that.

If we lose Stamkos he should take the left wall since he has a good shot when he has time.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

1. Stamkos - 1,054
2. Lecavalier - 1,037
3. Hedman - 1,026
4. St. Louis - 972
5. Killorn - 805
6. Kucherov - 697
7. Kubina - 662
8. Palat - 628
9. Johnson - 589
10. Point - 553

Reactions: Peacefool

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Pointer was so much fun to watch when he first first broke into the league. Absolutely dominant on both ends through the cup runs. He was a better player then IMO, than even last year when he netted 50. Which is still an amazing accomplishment in itself.

I barely notice him on the ice for the most part this season. If he’s pacing himself, the time is now because the season will be over soon with no playoffs. If he’s not pacing himself he’s not playing like a 1C

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Pointer was so much fun to watch when he first first broke into the league. Absolutely dominant on both ends through the cup runs. He was a better player then IMO, than even last year when he netted 50. Which is still an amazing accomplishment in itself.

I barely notice him on the ice for the most part this season. If he’s pacing himself, the time is now because the season will be over soon with no playoffs. If he’s not pacing himself he’s not playing like a 1C
He seems to have caught whatever Vasy has.

Old Pointer reminded me of Hagel- full of passion and fire, now he looks to be on auto pilot.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
On reply now I can see it was actually the defenseman who poked in Point's second goal, but that was out of desperation from being beaten on the play. Still credit to Point for putting him in that position.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sleepwalked half the season while his linemate put up an historic season. 1 goal in game 2, 5 shots in 3 playoff games so far, 0 last night. What’s up with Pointer?

Reactions: Stammertime91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad