Proposal: Brayden Point for Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If you are watching the playoffs with Mackinnon being the only exception being better (and since dallas just tied it 3-3 ruh roh) you have to say Point is the leader today for MVP of the playoffs. All that and at a good salary price too. That means he won't get traded for excellent maybes but still maybes.
I don't know, there are a lot of MVP's right now. Horvat comes to mind right away.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I'd conditionally add Makar, Heiskanen, and Quinn Hughes to that list because of their position and contract status (that list being "Not immediately hang up for").

Heiskanen is a good call. He doesn’t get brought up with Makar and Hughes often enough. I’m just commenting on how good he is... obviously don’t see Point dealt any time soon.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Point and Killorn for Lafreniere, Kakko and Chytil. Still doubt Tampa does it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Non starter for Tampa.

Rangers will be reluctant to make that move as well.

There is a level of patience this FO has shown to the process that I have a feeling they are not going to deviate from.

Reactions: bernmeister

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Cirelli is not close totality of circumstances. He could blossom further, but Kakko was a friggin teenager with no seasoning made jump to pros. Cirelli could be an improved stellar version of his already solid, excellent self. KK has potential to be that, + huge beast factor.
no.

Point is more talent and closer, but it is not a match.
Rangers are keeping their younger bluest chips.
TB can enjoy its fine roster, which will be difficult to continue to afford going forward.
and kk could never reach that level. i can understand not wanting to trade away his ceiling, but his value today in a trade is not his ceiling. it's less. cirelli is also a young player with potential growth ahead of him. he is for sure closer to his ceiling than kk. but he is also the much better player right now. if you value production for 2020/21 over future production, cirelli is your man. if you value production down the line, you can bet on either side. it's all projection.

regarding roster continuity: the rangers will face the same issues down the road. if kk and laf hit their potential, they will get paid and you will look at 4 wingers sucking up more than 30m or 35% of the cap. add trouba and fox after elc and the rangers won't be able to pay a 1c, what a true 1c will cost - with most likely 18m invested in declining wings. the panarin and kreider contract are both at least 20% too rich in a flat cap environment.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If you think Point is only a sniper, you either never watch him play or have your head buried in the ground hot boxing the shit out of it. Maybe you're taking it personally that no one besides you thinks Kakko is worth more one to one today than Point.

Here's a hint, the player you describe as only a sniper, finished top 10 in Selke votes last season.

If you are watching the playoffs with Mackinnon being the only exception being better (and since dallas just tied it 3-3 ruh roh) you have to say Point is the leader today for MVP of the playoffs. All that and at a good salary price too. That means he won't get traded for excellent maybes but still maybes.

and kk could never reach that level. i can understand not wanting to trade away his ceiling, but his value today in a trade is not his ceiling. it's less. cirelli is also a young player with potential growth ahead of him. he is for sure closer to his ceiling than kk. but he is also the much better player right now. if you value production for 2020/21 over future production, cirelli is your man. if you value production down the line, you can bet on either side. it's all projection.

regarding roster continuity: the rangers will face the same issues down the road. if kk and laf hit their potential, they will get paid and you will look at 4 wingers sucking up more than 30m or 35% of the cap. add trouba and fox after elc and the rangers won't be able to pay a 1c, what a true 1c will cost - with most likely 18m invested in declining wings. the panarin and kreider contract are both at least 20% too rich in a flat cap environment.

The issue is not who is the better player today.
And we are not looking at who will be the better player down the road, with 'better' being open a bit to interpretation.
Like I said, Point will always likely be the better pure sniper, tho w/experience remains to be seen how high Kakko gets there. Kakko's value is not as sniper, it is as a beast who can physically dominate. Point can't do that.

Again, this is no time for NYR to spend primo cap and surrender a blue chip who is elc.

Not sure where all this hostility is coming from.
I did not ask for Point at bargain price.

We all make our own beds.
TB did extremely well to get this far and stack its roster with so much talent while managing cap.
How long that can continue remains to be seen, and what adjustments Bolts will have to make also is yet to be determined.

For the record, I do not see Point moved unless there is either overpayment, or slightly greater value in currency extremely useful to TB.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Insulting for Tampa. Kakko is going to have a better season but he can't skate half as good as Point. Point doesn't get moved in a 1-1 for anything we have under 25. (and they can't fit Panarin's cap..)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brayden Point might be a top-10 player in the NHL now, who's shown a willingness to leave money on the table for the sake of the team. TB doesn't consider trading him for any move that's remotely realistic.

24 year-old two-way center who's had a 90-point season and has a knack for scoring goals when it matters most (leads the league in game winning goals since 2017)? Yeah, there's no realistic way to pry a guy like that off any team.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The issue is not who is the better player today.
And we are not looking at who will be the better player down the road, with 'better' being open a bit to interpretation.
Like I said, Point will always likely be the better pure sniper, tho w/experience remains to be seen how high Kakko gets there. Kakko's value is not as sniper, it is as a beast who can physically dominate. Point can't do that.

Again, this is no time for NYR to spend primo cap and surrender a blue chip who is elc.

Not sure where all this hostility is coming from.
I did not ask for Point at bargain price.

We all make our own beds.
TB did extremely well to get this far and stack its roster with so much talent while managing cap.
How long that can continue remains to be seen, and what adjustments Bolts will have to make also is yet to be determined.

For the record, I do not see Point moved unless there is either overpayment, or slightly greater value in currency extremely useful to TB.

Point is a playmaking, two-way center, who can also score goals. Even with 30 and 40 goal seasons under his belt, it's hard to call him a sniper, since that's way down the list of things he does best.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Point is a playmaking, two-way center, who can also score goals. Even with 30 and 40 goal seasons under his belt, it's hard to call him a sniper, since that's way down the list of things he does best.

I stand corrected.
mea colpa
I have limited viewing and he was effective sniper, but I have no prob to restate that as an effective scorer.
I accept your assertion he is effective playmaker as well.

NY can't afford and need physical guys for this lineup. Kakko can't be moved in most scenarios.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I stand corrected.
mea colpa
I have limited viewing and he was effective sniper, but I have no prob to restate that as an effective scorer.
I accept your assertion he is effective playmaker as well.

NY can't afford and need physical guys for this lineup. Kakko can't be moved in most scenarios.

He's a better playmaker than shooter, and a better defender than a shooter. Really, it's all about skating and IQ with Point. I've never seen a player who reminds me more of Steve Yzerman, and that's not a comparison I make lightly.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Brayden Point might be a top-10 player in the NHL now, who's shown a willingness to leave money on the table for the sake of the team. TB doesn't consider trading him for any move that's remotely realistic.

24 year-old two-way center who's had a 90-point season and has a knack for scoring goals when it matters most (leads the league in game winning goals since 2017)? Yeah, there's no realistic way to pry a guy like that off any team.

I agree, it baffled me last summer as some ranger fans (passionate they are) were strongly against a one for one Point for Kakko trade. Classic magic beans vrs a proven young NHL star center.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
He's a better playmaker than shooter, and a better defender than a shooter. Really, it's all about skating and IQ with Point. I've never seen a player who reminds me more of Steve Yzerman, and that's not a comparison I make lightly.

I agree, Isles fans are hoping Barzal can get to this level. Trotz has him on the right path. He may need a running mate though

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
You ignored what I said about exp drft, cap, totality of circumstances, etc.

Kakko may be worse/as good/better.

But it is different needs.

Point is basically a sniper, that's it.
Could always use another, but we have Panarin now reinforced by LaF.

But Kakko could be the beast factor NY needs which is not seen other than Kreider.

Your so far from the truth it's not even funny.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm surprised there are STILL Rangers fans who say no, even based on supposed "needs". There's no way a logical GM says no to that. Heck, if you really don't want Point, I'm confident in saying you could flip him back for a better return than Kakko later that fits your needs lol

Just to put it in perspective, Jesperi Kotkaniemi had a similar/better rookie season with Montreal*. I know that current results is not always indicative of future results, but Kakko unfortunately did not show to be such a prospect that he would be considered a main piece in a trade against an elite player.

*(I do hope for Rangers fans that his 2nd season will be better than Kotkaniemi though)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Kakko is many things and could become many things but a top line centre he is not.

Point is the top line centre on a cup contending team.

Even if Kakko becomes everything NYR hopes he becomes, Tampa loses huge in this trade because they lose their best centre.

NYR wins huge because they can run Point-ZBad-Strome-Chytil down the middle which, even if one moves to the wings, is insanely talented.

Tampa would never consider this.

Reactions: AndreRoy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure I trade him for any of those defensemen, despite how good they are.

True for me too. Mainly because the top of our defense is set for the foreseeable future, and Point has pretty much overtaken Stamkos as the team's #1C. This playoff performance has cemented it for me -- Stamkos has never had a playoff performance like the one Point is giving right now, nor a series like the one Point had vs. Boston in 2018.

Not meant to be a diss on Stamkos. Point has just turned into an incredible player, and the type of balanced 1C who wins cups. Best of all, he thrives under pressure. There are like three players I'd trade him for, given his role with the team (not to be confused with only three who are better than him -- I wouldn't trade him for a winger, a defenseman, or a center who's older than him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad