Bravo Benning. The D is pretty much rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I only read the first post to make sure this was a real thread and I love it. I remember people saying how well Benning result our D and it was so hilarious then and even better now. Edler is actually this teams third most valuable player behind Markstrom and Pettersson. Tanev is fourth.

Horvat is 5th?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
It really is all pretty depressing. Really is a shame Tryamkin didn't stick around. Aside from Stecher, I have no confidence in this defensive group going forward.
I have no confidence in a delusional GM who has not grown some coconuts to resemble the disaster of a mess on the back end of this team.Who in there right mind would think that Derek Pouliot is a NHL defenseman..I'm so glad we have Luke Shenn coming to save the day.Bennings saving grace right now is Pettersson,without him this team is at the bottom of the standings.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
It took me a couple minutes to realize this wasn't a new thread. I just worked 15 hours and I think I overlooked the Subban Pedan inclusion.

Awesome read. Mission accomplished, indeed.

Reactions: dwarf

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Juolevi is still only 20 years old, you may yet be right on him as well. Guys bust young on this forum; Kyle Connor was a bust when he was 19 or 20 and he seems to be rounding into form. I'd wait another year on Juolevi.

You would think that Canuck fans would have learned their lessons after what we saw from Hank, Danny boy, Naslund, Bertuzzi, and what appears to be Markstrom now, but nope. Same old same old.

“Let’s bash the 20 year old kid because he’s a Benning guy.”

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Juolevi is still only 20 years old, you may yet be right on him as well. Guys bust young on this forum; Kyle Connor was a bust when he was 19 or 20 and he seems to be rounding into form. I'd wait another year on Juolevi.
Agree it’s way too early to write him off. Course if he was drafted 17th overall instead of 5th overall, I would think expectations would be a bit different. Sort of like 6th overall pick Virtanen vs 24th overall pick McCann (same draft year)

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You would think that Canuck fans would have learned their lessons after what we saw from Hank, Danny boy, Naslund, Bertuzzi, and what appears to be Markstrom now, but nope. Same old same old.

Bert was putting up 39 points as a rookie 20 year old in the NHL. As well, he was a 23rd overall pick.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

People aren't questioning the Juolevi pick because Benning did it. People are questioning/critical of the pick because of his lack of progressive development since he was drafted (part of which has been due to injuries, as well as reports of compete issues). Gillis could have drafted him and people would raise the same concerns. It also doesn't help that Juolevi was taken when the consensus pick for most fans was Tkachuk.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Timberman is drunk again

How could you possibly tell?

That was a rough read.

Also a great example of certain posters opus moderandi.

It's hilarious. Time capsule that could have been started yesterday.

You don't even keep track of the names, do you? 3 years later and nothing has changed. Nothing.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I really like whats happening with this back end renovation.
Its not over but progressing well.

Jim has added much needed muscle and beef and now just grabbed the most coveted junior Defenceman on the planet in Juolevi (Bob McKenzie) and College NCAA All-Tournament Team Troy Stecher from North Dakota.

The same people that were screaming murder for signing Gudbranson a few weeks ago and not a puck moving D are the same people that are now screaming murder for signing the best young pmd on the planet arguably.
Anything Benning and Linden do they will hate.
Ignore them.

Juolevi-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Edler-Tryamkin
Pedan-Subban-Stecher-Brisebois etc...

Marky/Demko

Benning hasn't been perfect and i haven't cosigned all of his moves but he has done a stellar job at rebuilding this D in less than 2 years with limited assets.
:biglaugh:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Thank god he isn't because he'd be retired, hanging around the all star game, trying to get some air time.
Gudbranson is a pathetic, joke of a player compared to Bieksa.

Bieksa wasn’t elite or anything, but he was a decent top 2 or 3 d for a while, and MUCH better than Gudbranson.

And he never threw his teammates under the bus like Gudbranson does.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I only read the first post to make sure this was a real thread and I love it. I remember people saying how well Benning result our D and it was so hilarious then and even better now. Edler is actually this teams third most valuable player behind Markstrom and Pettersson. Tanev is fourth.

Horvat is 5th?

Edler right now is probably more important than Horvat because he's really the anchor on D. Tanev has stepped back a bit and whenever Edler is out this team sucks. The same can be said about Horvat to an extent, but Pettersson has helped with scoring and I guess we have depth C like Beagle or Sutter who can take the tough matchups if need be, although still a massive downgrade on Horvat.

Edler, however, while I think Hutton has done well stepping up whenever Edler has been gone, that leaves Pouliot and a literally who as our LD and holy moly does that suck. Edler is our #1D right now and unlike good teams we have no depth to make do with and that's absolutely killer on defence.

Moving forward though Horvat is far more important than Edler for obvious reasons. I also think Tanev has moved down significantly as I think he's slowed down quite a bit and just isn't the player he was a few years ago. He's still excellent, but I think he's making more mistakes and just can't eat up minutes at this point in his career like Hutton seems to be doing at the moment.

Right now Pettersson > Markstrom > Edler > Horvat > Boeser > Hutton > Tanev > Stetcher

Moving forward Pettersson > Horvat > Markstrom > Boeser > Hutton > Edler > Stetcher > Tanev

Also fantastic necro

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Ironically this thread was made around the same time as Imac's "the heavy lifting on the rebuild is done" quote

A quote that should never be forgotten

Reactions: MS and TruKnyte

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
i wanted Dubois...Tkachuk and Boeser would have been nice but juolevi is a stud.

Bob McKenzie ranked him the top D on the planet this draft.

Maybe he's an idiot too and you're the expert.:laugh:

http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

You are doing a parody of some of the crazier posts on here, right?

In the unlikely event this post was serious, it isn't 2016 any more, and even then it wasn't a case of McKenzie ranking Juolevi the top D on the planet. It was a consensus in 2016 about draft-eligible defencemen in 2016. That is of absolutely no relevance in 2019.

Should anyone be excited that, to use your words, Bob McKenzie ranked Brandon Gormley the 2nd top D on the planet this draft? Should we be excited that Eric Gudbranson was ranked 1st?

As we move forward to 2019 it would be totally unrealistic to even suggest that at present Juolevi would be ranked over each and every one of McAvoy, Sergachev and Chychrun.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I'll take threads that didn't age well for a 100 Alex.

Like a fine wine, mixed with an aged cheese that's been left out in the sun, tossed into a dumpster, buried deep underground, then uncovered centuries later by the poster who dug this up.

Its hilariously bad, but... idk that this really compares to "Burrows do we need him?" as the last actual reply is almost 3 years old.

Reactions: xtra

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can forgive casual fans for believing the title statement. The fact anyone in a NHL head office did should get them fired.

Also, kudos on the Juolevi faith. He's been a complete bust so far and is a very long shot to amount to much. Weirder things have obviously happened on the shortside of probability, though.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
As we move forward to 2019 it would be totally unrealistic to even suggest that at present Juolevi would be ranked over each and every one of McAvoy, Sergachev and Chychrun.

We can add Fabbro to that list as well. Then we have the forwards who came soon after such as Tkachuk and Keller. Juolevi is without question a total bust at #5. Obviously hindsight is always 20/20 but doesn't change the fact it was a terrible pick at the time and still is today.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Since the lockout here are the top selected Ds. If a defenseman was taken first overall I will add the 2nd defenseman taken in the same draft.

2005 - Brian Lee 9th overall
2006 - Erik Johnson 1st overall, Ty Wishart 16th overall
2007 - Thomas Hickey 4th overall
2008 - said to be the most stacked draft for D throughout the draft year (noone had this to say for 2016)
2009 - defenseman battling for 1st overall throughout the draft year (noone had this to say for 2016)
2010 - Erik Gudbranson 3rd overall
2011 - Adam Larsson 4th overall
2012 - said to be the most stacked draft for D throughout the draft year (noone had this to say for 2016)
2013 - defenseman battling for 1st overall throughout the draft year (noone had this to say for 2016)
2014 - Aaron Ekblad 1st overall, Haydn Fleury 7th overall
2015 - Noah Hanifin 5th overall
2016 - Olli Juolevi 5th overall

So given the history of the last 11 years. Knowing this draft not hyped up as a dmen draft as it were in 2008 and 2012, nor was there a dmen contending for 1st overall at any point during the draft year as it were in 2006, 2009, 2013 we're looking at Juolevi being somewhere here:

Brian Lee
Ty Wishart
Thomas Hickey
Erik Gudbranson
Adam Larsson
Haydn Fleury
Noah Hanifin

Juolevi really is developing like the dmens listed here

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
It's interesting...

We draft Horvat and fans *****
We draft Virtanen and fans *****
We draft Juolevi and fans *****

Fans ***** that we need a big 2 way centre with leadership and top line potential (Horvat)
Fans ***** that we need a offensive power forward forward (Virtanen)
Fans ***** that we need a potential top pairing D man that can do it all (Juolevi)

All three of them have great potential let them develop and let's see what they can be

Didn't shit on these picks

Hodgson
Schroeder
Gaunce
Shinkaruk
Horvat
Boeser
Mccann
Pettersson
Hughes

Hits = high picks in strong drafts
Misses = lower picks in weak drafts

Benning fudged on high picks in strong drafts. But I can forgive him for drafting Pettersson. Makes it a wash now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad